or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3186

post #47776 of 89442
Quote:
Originally Posted by JermynStreet View Post


Guys, I know that this is the Alden thread, but while we are on the topic of customer service, I want to point out that Paul Grangaard, the rock star CEO of Allen Edmonds, has posted twice on the AE thread THIS WEEK. I support and purchase Allen Edmonds because of customer service like that. I do like Alden but a little love from the Alden CEO (does anyone even know who it is? Is it a member of the Alden family?) would really go a long way. To compare, Grangaard mentioned specific problems and offered his personal email address to correct them. My 2 ¢ for the evening.

 

I was pleasantly surprised to read that as well! Enthusiasts can be a pretty tough group to please.

 

I was particularly impressed at the following comment:

 

Quote:
 ...if it's a leather we carry in another style that you'd like on your chosen shoe but is not currently offered -- or if it's a width on a legacy last (such as the 5, the 7, the 8 or the 1) that isn't currently offered -- just send me an email at xxxx@allenedmonds.com. If we can do it for you, we will.

 

 

Note, he posted his email address in the original thread.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #47777 of 89442
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

 

 

I think you are making a real big assumption here. That's more than a bit of a stretch especially since you are responding to a post about a specific retailer. A retailer with a stellar reputation. I can't imagine you intended to disparage the guy but it's important to think before responding on public forum about an incident of which you have no first hand knowledge. A comment like that can have very real consequences when posted on a public forum in a thread with 4+ million views.

 

I know for a fact that retailers lie. I used to work retail myself and can tell you in no uncertain terms if a customer's special order came in and the owner (or friend/family of owner, manager, employee, etc.) wanted the item, they would get first dibs on it. This is very common practice actually. 

 

I did not state nor imply this is what Leffot did but they certainly have the power to do so. 

 

If you are familiar with my videos on YouTube, you will know that I did a whole video basically advertising a Leffot special make-up, so you'd be wise to refrain reading something into my post that is not there, speaking of making an assumption. 


Edited by mediahound - 4/7/13 at 4:47pm
post #47778 of 89442
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post


I think you are making a real big assumption here. That's more than a bit of a stretch especially since you are responding to a post about a specific retailer. A retailer with a stellar reputation. I can't imagine you intended to disparage the guy but it's important to think before responding on public forum about an incident of which you have no first hand knowledge. A comment like that can have very real consequences when posted on a public forum in a thread with 4+ million views.

well put. like i said... it's very disconcerting that someone would brazenly state: "retailers lie" as a reply to a post addressing a specific retailer.
post #47779 of 89442
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

I was pleasantly surprised to read that as well! Enthusiasts can be a pretty tough group to please.

I was particularly impressed at the following comment...

That's a major "points" move in my book. Good on AE for getting deep into a portion of their market and availing themselves. Alden could learn from this.

Re: Leffot dispute. I echo the above comments about disparaging a retailers reputation. I've never read anything bad about Leffot anywhere, and had no reason to believe they weren't an exemplary specialty retailer. However, even with the above accusations (unfounded or not), it makes me second guess buying through them - particularly given that I haven't beforehand. The impact of a bad review does far more damage than multiple good reviews do in building up a reputation.

And apparently OP has made enough of a stink that Leffot took to its twitter account to vent:

April 6, 2013


The overly vocal critic, IMO, should be just as susceptible to criticism as the object of theirs.
post #47780 of 89442

In Leffot's defense - the shoe probably did come in defective and they didn't want make a mistake and  ship it out like they did here in the past:

 

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/230413/alden-qc-would-you-be-happy-with-receiving-this-pair-of-shoes/0_100

Quote:
I was very happy to see a box from Leffot this morning, with Alden's shell/calf saddle shoes inside.

That is... until I put them on.

post #47781 of 89442
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

In Leffot's defense - the shoe probably did come in defective and they didn't want make a mistake and  ship it out like they did here in the past:

 

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/230413/alden-qc-would-you-be-happy-with-receiving-this-pair-of-shoes/0_100

I can't believe Alden let that right saddle shoe out of the factory with such severe pixelation!

post #47782 of 89442
^the left one looks like Cigar and the right looks like #8. What color were they supposed to be?
post #47783 of 89442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post

^the left one looks like Cigar and the right looks like #8. What color were they supposed to be?

 

I think Color 8 -

 

http://leffot.com/2011/11/21/alden-x-leffot-saddle-shoe-re-issue/

post #47784 of 89442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post


i think it could go both ways... Old school service suggests a personal touch could go a long way.  But you are correct, if you don't know how to communicate well, you open the door to trouble.  I personally think it would be nice to see the Alden CEO reach out to his most reliable customers.  I'm not losing any sleep over it though.

Agreed... The key is being well spoken, which in reading his post, he certainly is. While you can please everyone, a lose a customer here and there, the impact of him reaching out has gained the respect and interest of many... So on a net basis... I think you gaining more customers than lose... IMO
post #47785 of 89442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Only one way to find out.  If you can, buy both and return one.

Yep..: that's what I did... I just thought someone may have had a similar experience to share...
post #47786 of 89442
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalceoAdamator View Post


Agreed... The key is being well spoken, which in reading his post, he certainly is. While you can please everyone, a lose a customer here and there, the impact of him reaching out has gained the respect and interest of many... So on a net basis... I think you gaining more customers than lose... IMO

While the President/CEO of Alden may not post in forums, he does do internet interviews from time to time:

 

 

 

I would imagine that Paul Grangaard from Allen Edmonds is less of a factory hands on CEO than Arthur Tarlow is. After all, Grangaard came to Allen Edmonds from an investment banking job and probably knows little about the manufacture of shoes (unlike Arthur Tarlow who seems to oversee the factory floor and has it in his blood ever since birth). 

 

I seem to even recall reading an interview with Grangaard about a year ago where he said he chooses to focus his role on PR a lot since he is not an expert in shoe making. This is probably why he posts in forums, he's got the time and mandate to do so. Whereas Arthur Tarlow is too busy actually making shoes to spend time reading and posting on online forums. 

post #47787 of 89442
No representation on patina Sunday today?
post #47788 of 89442
I thank (or blame) Leffot for my current footwear sickness. Awesome shop. I stop by a few times a month. In addition to Alden they stock some great Japanese scotch that I sampled with Steven and some other customers.
post #47789 of 89442
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post


I think you are making a real big assumption here. That's more than a bit of a stretch especially since you are responding to a post about a specific retailer. A retailer with a stellar reputation. I can't imagine you intended to disparage the guy but it's important to think before responding on public forum about an incident of which you have no first hand knowledge. A comment like that can have very real consequences when posted on a public forum in a thread with 4+ million views.

I agree, well stated
post #47790 of 89442
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post


Re: Leffot dispute. I echo the above comments about disparaging a retailers reputation. I've never read anything bad about Leffot anywhere, and had no reason to believe they weren't an exemplary specialty retailer. However, even with the above accusations (unfounded or not), it makes me second guess buying through them - particularly given that I haven't beforehand. The impact of a bad review does far more damage than multiple good reviews do in building up a reputation.

And apparently OP has made enough of a stink that Leffot took to its twitter account to vent:

April 6, 2013


The overly vocal critic, IMO, should be just as susceptible to criticism as the object of theirs.

Just for the record, I have not made any further comments regarding my situation to anyone. I'm sure Leffot is a fantastic retailer and a pleasure to do business with. That said, this was my first interaction with them and his has left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I wouldn't have thought anything other than what they stated, had I not seen my size available for sale on the site two days ago. If it was indeed a defective pair of shoes, I appreciate them looking out for their customers, I just wish they would have inspected all the pre-order pairs prior to putting any leftovers up for sale.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***