or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3178

post #47656 of 91743
PSA: A tale of two tankers.

Alden SF has a #8 trubalance tanker up for sale, so I ordered one to compare against my Leffot #8 barrie tankers (which are slightly too tight). Both are 9.5D, both are NST. It's hard to tell from the photos, but the barrie boot is ~1/4" longer and the trubalance boot is ~1/4" wider. I think I like the antique edge of the Leffot boot more.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)





BTW, anyone with a commando-soled barrie NST in 9.5E know what the widest width of your shoe is? I'd be curious to see how it compares to the 9.5D trubalance.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #47657 of 91743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post

 

Yes I have the Alden chukka in Ravello and all 5 shell colors of shell in the Dundee. Side by side you would be hard pressed to tell the difference with the exception of the 2 eyes vs. 3. The #1 last of the Dundee is slightly sleeker but not as much as I would have thought. Dropping down a half size from my TTS on the Barrie they fit similar, but of course with a lot more room in the heels of the Alden's. Slight heel lift but acceptable. Welt, heel and shape is very similar. Except the dovetail in the heel of the Alden looks like it was hand cut by a third grader and there is a large gap in it on the exposed edge of the heel. I plan on replacing the soles on them with commando and vibram heel anyhow so not a big deal to me.

Cold Iron, what is your size in Dundee vs. Alden chukka?

post #47658 of 91743
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex4nder View Post

PSA: A tale of two tankers.

Alden SF has a #8 trubalance tanker up for sale, so I ordered one to compare against my Leffot #8 barrie tankers (which are slightly too tight). Both are 9.5D, both are NST. It's hard to tell from the photos, but the barrie boot is ~1/4" longer and the trubalance boot is ~1/4" wider. I think I like the antique edge of the Leffot boot more.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)






BTW, anyone with a commando-soled barrie NST in 9.5E know what the widest width of your shoe is? I'd be curious to see how it compares to the 9.5D trubalance.


Thanks for the photos

The square toe of the Trubalance works better for cordovan Indy boots versus tankers, IMO... The split toe stitching on the Barrie version looks a lot more fluid with the rest of the boot, while the split toe on the Trubalance version seems more like an add on.
post #47659 of 91743
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex4nder View Post

PSA: A tale of two tankers.

Alden SF has a #8 trubalance tanker up for sale, so I ordered one to compare against my Leffot #8 barrie tankers (which are slightly too tight). Both are 9.5D, both are NST. It's hard to tell from the photos, but the barrie boot is ~1/4" longer and the trubalance boot is ~1/4" wider. I think I like the antique edge of the Leffot boot more.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)





BTW, anyone with a commando-soled barrie NST in 9.5E know what the widest width of your shoe is? I'd be curious to see how it compares to the 9.5D trubalance.

 

I'm surprised the Barrie is longer than the Trubalance in the same size. 

post #47660 of 91743
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassyCanuck View Post

What's that saying.... A picture is worth something, something.
Pics of your newly acquired please:D and thanks.

Check back tomorrow AM...
post #47661 of 91743
Unionmade just threw up some interesting models.
post #47662 of 91743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

The square toe of the Trubalance works better for cordovan Indy boots versus tankers, IMO... The split toe stitching on the Barrie version looks a lot more fluid with the rest of the boot, while the split toe on the Trubalance version seems more like an add on.

I tend to agree, and the NST stitching on the outside edge of the vamp seems to follow the barrie lines better. I'm going to sleep on it, but I think I'll be returning these and just going into a holding pattern on my 9.5Es from Leffot.
post #47663 of 91743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Unionmade just threw up some interesting models.

I would like to see that saddle shoe in person, interesting combo
post #47664 of 91743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countingsheep View Post


The boots are incredible. Congratulations icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

thank you sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post


Details on that boot please. Where and when did you score a #4 captoe??

they are from the shoemart.  i recently bought them from a fellow aficionado who purchased them last year. "a true alden miracle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaier View Post

I second that.  Incredible looking boot.  Congrats.  

thnk you sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

CT Boot is great, but I'm smitten by the atom. inlove.gif  How old are they and where did you pick them up?  Tremont or barrie last?  I think you have most of my Alden grails! worship2.gif

thank you, the atoms are my favorite pair of shoes. tremont last from leffot, late 2011. i would buy a second pair if i could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post


Gorgeous. Just gorgeous.

thank you sir. now i need your wingtip boots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmemt View Post

I want those boots so bad!  They are gorgeous! 

thank you sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalceoAdamator View Post

I'll second that...

thanks for the kind words.

post #47665 of 91743
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

I would like to see that saddle shoe in person, interesting combo

I just bought them ... They look like they would go great with a pair of jeans...
post #47666 of 91743
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalceoAdamator View Post

I just bought them ... They look like they would go great with a pair of jeans...

I'm very tempted my self
post #47667 of 91743
Quote:
Originally Posted by green garden View Post

Cold Iron, what is your size in Dundee vs. Alden chukka?

Dundee on #1 last = 10D which is my Brannock size. Alden on Barrie last = 9.5D

post #47668 of 91743
Some cheap black grain Aldens?
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Chukka-Boot/03AH,default,pd.html?dwvar_03AH_Color=BLCK&contentpos=6&cgid=1601

There's a pair of the Grant LWBs in 10.5 listed too.
post #47669 of 91743

First off, apologies if I'm violating any rules. This is my first post. I'd like to get a pair of these cordovan longwings (made with the Barrie last), but I have to do so sight-unseen. You see, I don't live in the U.S. or anywhere near where Aldens are available, and I don't plan on going to such a place soon. My only real reference is a pair of AE McTavishes on their 5 last; I run a 9 1/2 D in these. Any of you Alden experts care to speculate what size I should order? I could also go get my size in CDBs if that would be helpful; there are a few Clark's stores out here.

post #47670 of 91743
Quote:
Originally Posted by batardo View Post

First off, apologies if I'm violating any rules. This is my first post. I'd like to get a pair of these cordovan longwings (made with the Barrie last), but I have to do so sight-unseen. You see, I don't live in the U.S. or anywhere near where Aldens are available, and I don't plan on going to such a place soon. My only real reference is a pair of AE McTavishes on their 5 last; I run a 9 1/2 D in these. Any of you Alden experts care to speculate what size I should order? I could also go get my size in CDBs if that would be helpful; there are a few Clark's stores out here.


My experience...  my McTavish size - 10.5D; my barrie size - 10D

 

9.5D in McTavish = 9D Barrie Last (pretty sure this should work for you)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***