These look amazing, my whiskey is darker than these, I wish I didn't have to buy all my Aldens online.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 7/14/15 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not? Last post on 4/4/14 at 1:25am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3132
Styleforum Top Picks
Thanks, everyone, for all the fitting testimony. For another point of reference, here is my humble lineup:
975x Shell longwings
Chamois longwing (Leffot)
Leydon unlined suede chukka (Madison Ave)
Leydon lined suede blucher (on order from NRO--good to hear of the recent good experiences with them)
- I'll use as a reference my best-fitting shoe, the 9D chamois longwing--consistently comfortable with thin to normal socks.
- The 9C shell longwing is probably more comfortable, but even in a narrower width, it seems roomier, but not too much so. Roomy, but no heel slip or jammed toes.
- The Leydon 9.5D unlined chukka started off snug across the vamp, but quickly accommodated my foot for that slipper-like feel. It was always wide enough, but I would call they Leydon a low-volume last.
- Ordered the Leydon lined suede blucher in a E figuring I might wear it with a normal sock in cooler seasons. Plus, I wanted a looser, no-argument fit for this one.
- Lastly, the Day Tripper. Leffot suggested I order my Barrie size, and this was before I got their non-shell longwing. It fits like a dress shoe should, which means by the end of the day, or after a carbo-bomb, it feels good to take them off. Nothing ever hurts, though. Ideally, I might have gotten the 9D.
Regarding the posts above.....My experience on the Barrie........Go true to size and down one width. The conventional wisdom is just to size down a half, but my experience (and Alden also suggests) is to just go down one width if you have this issue. A10c Barrie is a much better fit than 9.5d for me. Unfortunately C widths are hard to come by.
I had no problem ordering both an 11 C and 11.5 C from the shoe mart (they had to check with Alden directly, who had them in stock and dropped shipped them to me).
I am an 11.5D normally, and the 11D of the Barrie Shell LWB just feels loose on my foot. The 11C felt great initially, but after a day's wear (and I'm guessing the associated foot swelling), my middle toe started to nudge the end of the shoe ever so slightly when taking long, quick strides that result in a lot of bend in the ball of my foot. Unfortunately I didn't figure this out until I wore them outside.
Those I'm currently trying to sell in my signature while I wait for the 11.5C to arrive.
I did learn to test shoes in the evening after a long day rather than in the morning.
Brooks Brothers Brown Suede Tassel Loafers
I was kind of hoping that I would not like them when they got here because I have my eye on something else and don't want to keep both because I feel like I'm out of control, but unfortunately I think I like them. Not sure they'll get much wear.
Notice that they DO in fact have the foxing on the heel, unlike the Alden stock model 666.
Please, someone convince me not to like them.
I don't even like loafers but those are really nice. Sorry man.
How long have you had them? How much have they been worn? Did you buy them new?
Here is an interesting discussion you might want to read, which suggests everything from 'walk it off' to an issue with fitment or construction.
- ***The official Alden thread ***
- › April 77 Tropìc Black Martini Size S Sold Out 2 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 3 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 3 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 11 minutes ago
- › The Kooples 3 Buttons Dark Navy Blazer Jacket Size 44 14 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 14 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 18 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 19 minutes ago
- › ***....Falcon Garments - Official Affiliate Thread....*** MTM/MTO... 24 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015