These look amazing, my whiskey is darker than these, I wish I didn't have to buy all my Aldens online.
***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3132
Thanks, everyone, for all the fitting testimony. For another point of reference, here is my humble lineup:
975x Shell longwings
Chamois longwing (Leffot)
Leydon unlined suede chukka (Madison Ave)
Leydon lined suede blucher (on order from NRO--good to hear of the recent good experiences with them)
- I'll use as a reference my best-fitting shoe, the 9D chamois longwing--consistently comfortable with thin to normal socks.
- The 9C shell longwing is probably more comfortable, but even in a narrower width, it seems roomier, but not too much so. Roomy, but no heel slip or jammed toes.
- The Leydon 9.5D unlined chukka started off snug across the vamp, but quickly accommodated my foot for that slipper-like feel. It was always wide enough, but I would call they Leydon a low-volume last.
- Ordered the Leydon lined suede blucher in a E figuring I might wear it with a normal sock in cooler seasons. Plus, I wanted a looser, no-argument fit for this one.
- Lastly, the Day Tripper. Leffot suggested I order my Barrie size, and this was before I got their non-shell longwing. It fits like a dress shoe should, which means by the end of the day, or after a carbo-bomb, it feels good to take them off. Nothing ever hurts, though. Ideally, I might have gotten the 9D.
Regarding the posts above.....My experience on the Barrie........Go true to size and down one width. The conventional wisdom is just to size down a half, but my experience (and Alden also suggests) is to just go down one width if you have this issue. A10c Barrie is a much better fit than 9.5d for me. Unfortunately C widths are hard to come by.
I had no problem ordering both an 11 C and 11.5 C from the shoe mart (they had to check with Alden directly, who had them in stock and dropped shipped them to me).
I am an 11.5D normally, and the 11D of the Barrie Shell LWB just feels loose on my foot. The 11C felt great initially, but after a day's wear (and I'm guessing the associated foot swelling), my middle toe started to nudge the end of the shoe ever so slightly when taking long, quick strides that result in a lot of bend in the ball of my foot. Unfortunately I didn't figure this out until I wore them outside.
Those I'm currently trying to sell in my signature while I wait for the 11.5C to arrive.
I did learn to test shoes in the evening after a long day rather than in the morning.
Brooks Brothers Brown Suede Tassel Loafers
I was kind of hoping that I would not like them when they got here because I have my eye on something else and don't want to keep both because I feel like I'm out of control, but unfortunately I think I like them. Not sure they'll get much wear.
Notice that they DO in fact have the foxing on the heel, unlike the Alden stock model 666.
Please, someone convince me not to like them.
I don't even like loafers but those are really nice. Sorry man.
How long have you had them? How much have they been worn? Did you buy them new?
Here is an interesting discussion you might want to read, which suggests everything from 'walk it off' to an issue with fitment or construction.