or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3065

post #45961 of 94355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner View Post


If it were me and the spots were still there at the end of the day, and I couldn't remove them with some vigorous brushing, well, then the spots would be there for life. Those spots don't look large enough to really bother me enough to try anything more than my normal cleaning routine on them. You have to remember - the boots are only new until you put your feet in them! fing02[1].gif

Oh, that's right, a great man once said, "They're shoes, not Rembrandts!"

 

Thanks for de-catastrophizing the incident for me. Dear wife says the spots are not really noticeable. What bothers me is knowing I screwed up by trying to move faster than I should have this morning. Is it really not a good call to try saddle soap or renomat? I need to get some work done today and this is clearly occupying too much of my emotional energy...

 

Have a good one!

post #45962 of 94355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlbass View Post

Hi, 

 

I was looking to get my first pair of aldens and I narrowed it down to the Indy 403's. Can it be found with a commando sole anywhere or is this just a special order item?

 

Also, I've seen pics of the cigar Indys from Leffot. Is that a shoe of the past or can they be preordered somewhere?

 

Thanks so much. I can't tell you how much time I've wasted on this thread in the past couple of days.

 

owen

I think Alden Madison in NYC has had them at one point.  Also check The Shoe Mart.

 

You are likely to waste WAY more time time on this thread in the future.

 

I think you have the right idea starting out with a bang with the Cigar Indy.  The 403 is great, but it's such a gateway boot.  As soon as you get it you are going to want something in Shell.

post #45963 of 94355

A quick tip for your shoe trees:

 

post #45964 of 94355
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post

Oh, that's right, a great man once said, "They're shoes, not Rembrandts!"

 

Thanks for de-catastrophizing the incident for me. Dear wife says the spots are not really noticeable. What bothers me is knowing I screwed up by trying to move faster than I should have this morning. Is it really not a good call to try saddle soap or renomat? I need to get some work done today and this is clearly occupying too much of my emotional energy...

 

Have a good one!

Don't do anything hasty.  Wait for an answer or do some research on the correct way to tackle the problem, rather than just trying anything you think might work.

 

I'm always super cautious when wearing my Aldens.  If anyone gets within an arms length of me, I knock 'em out.  (Even children and the elderly.)  Can't risk them getting any closer and possibly scuffing my shoe.

post #45965 of 94355
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

The Bureau are great.
They ship pretty quickly via 2nd or 3rd day fedex international.
Never had to pay duty or brokerage on anything from them.

Thanks Zippy
post #45966 of 94355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Don't do anything hasty.  Wait for an answer or do some research on the correct way to tackle the problem, rather than just trying anything you think might work.

I'm always super cautious when wearing my Aldens.  If anyone gets within an arms length of me, I knock 'em out.  (Even children and the elderly.)  Can't risk them getting any closer and possibly scuffing my shoe.

And I thought I was the only one.

This year my family played a good April fools joke on me. My wife told that my son put gum all over a pair of my #8 boots...He didn't mean it and he was really sorry, but the boots are in bad shape. I totally fell for it and the look on my face was priceless, they told me. They got a good laugh out of me. I was just happy my boots were safe.
post #45967 of 94355
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post


And I thought I was the only one.

This year my family played a good April fools joke on me. My wife told that my son put gum all over a pair of my #8 boots...He didn't mean it and he was really sorry, but the boots are in bad shape. I totally fell for it and the look on my face was priceless, they told me. They got a good laugh out of me. I was just happy my boots were safe.

That is such a cruel prank.  There are some matters that are just too serious to joke about.

post #45968 of 94355
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post


And I thought I was the only one.

This year my family played a good April fools joke on me. My wife told that my son put gum all over a pair of my #8 boots...He didn't mean it and he was really sorry, but the boots are in bad shape. I totally fell for it and the look on my face was priceless, they told me. They got a good laugh out of me. I was just happy my boots were safe.

That's hilarious, Sazon! My natural inclination is to be very cautious, but I've been trying to live more freely and didn't want my son to end up in therapy someday uttering, "Every time I tried to jump on my father to give him a hug, Daddy would shy away to protect his wingtip boots. I'm only going to wear square toed Kenneth Coles and target flip flops as a sign of Oedipal rebellion!"

 

Of course, my fastidiousness remains in the presence of strangers, especially in a packed grocery store. A couple of weeks ago, a woman in a rush to get to the organic produce completely ran the heels of my brown cxl indys over with her cart. I wish I could say that I had remained composed, but I stopped just short of reducing her to tears. Maybe my wife and son need to play the gum trick on me too...

 

Or I'm just still getting over the alpine grain incident...musicboohoo[1].gif

post #45969 of 94355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post


+1, only I would go with camel or tan suede unlined PTBs.  Snuff seems to me to be more of a fall color as it is darker, but both work.


Point is well taken, and reasonable minds can disagree. But I would suggest that snuff is the best color if you are looking for a suede shoe to wear all year. IMO, it absolutely works in the summer.
post #45970 of 94355
Quote:
Originally Posted by takashi78 View Post

To the poster who asked about Alden belts a few pages before.

I was in Alden SF 2 months back.
Saw a bunch of belts in the store.
You might wanna give them a call.

Question:

When you guys say you guys brush alot after the cleaning and conditioning.
How much is alot?
5 mins non stop brushing?
10 mins non stop brushing?
30mins non stop brushing?

5 minutes for each shoe at max. 30 minutes is certifiably insane. crazy.gif
post #45971 of 94355

i do it for like 1-2 mins and im like, meh.  done, next shoe

post #45972 of 94355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

I think Alden Madison in NYC has had them at one point.  Also check The Shoe Mart.

You are likely to waste WAY more time time on this thread in the future.

I think you have the right idea starting out with a bang with the Cigar Indy.  The 403 is great, but it's such a gateway boot.  As soon as you get it you are going to want something in Shell.

J.Gilbert also sells the Cigar Indy with commando sole. I've seen them at Alden SF with double leather sole too. Best bet is to call around and get on a waiting list. I was on the J.Gilbert and Alden of NY lists last Summer and luckily got them in early Fall when someone backed out of a pre-order from J. Gilbert. Alden of NYC then contacted in the winter that their order was in. Good luck!
post #45973 of 94355
Team SF - thoughts on the offerings on J.Crew? Any that you would pick? I'm digging the LWBs in suede... just can't pick between the darker and lighter ones.
post #45974 of 94355
Quote:
Originally Posted by david3558 View Post

Team SF - thoughts on the offerings on J.Crew? Any that you would pick? I'm digging the LWBs in suede... just can't pick between the darker and lighter ones.

 

I like the cap toe color 8 boots best:

 

 

Alden Capt Toe.jpg

post #45975 of 94355
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

I like the cap toe color 8 boots best:


Alden Capt Toe.jpg
+1 on the J Crew cap toe boot.
Edited by BeSpiffington - 3/18/13 at 10:03am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***