or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3037

post #45541 of 87436

I'm also debating on what I should get as my first pair of Aldens, the Indy boot or the shell indy boot. 

 

I've read a bit about how shell doesn't breathe well but my main concern is the weight. Is there a significant difference in weight between a shell boot and non-shell boot. I have a small physical disability and don't like wearing heavy boots/shoes because it exacerbates my disability, so I'd like to stay with something "lightweight"

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #45542 of 87436
Gentlemen - Thank you for the compliments on the #4 Captoes. I feel very lucky having gotten these as they were made in an extremely small batch, after initially having been cancelled. The Shoe Mart was the seller.

Part of me wants to keep these pristine and not wear them much due to their scarcity but the other part of me loves the shade and can't help but wanting to wear them often.
post #45543 of 87436
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post

PSA

I was in Portland, ME for business and stopped by David Wood Clothiers yesterday (adjacent to a very cool sf affiliate, Portland Dry Goods). He had a few Alden models at 40% off including the unlined suede chukka in Navy, Dark Brown and Snuff. Limited sizes available but an outstanding deal for a great spring/summer shoe. I don't know if he ships but it may be worth a call if interested.

I've owned the tan version 1494 for a few yrs and love them. I picked up the snuff earlier this year. It's the Leydon last but because they are unlined, suede and a blucher they fit my high volume, slightly wide feet TTS.

Follow up on PSA: spoke to Michael, who informed me there are also white bucks with red sole also 40%off. Model 96814. $475 before disc. Is that a real Alden? I feel like I never see white ones other than the JCrew makeup.
post #45544 of 87436

indy boot if you want to go the normal route

 

shell indy boot if you're advance and want next level

post #45545 of 87436
I was joking about the lobbs, when I saw them I couldn't believe it. I could have 22 pairs of Alden shell or one pair of lobbs? Or perhaps 5 pairs of eg top drawer with 5 pairs of shell Aldens.
post #45546 of 87436
I was joking about the lobbs, when I saw them I couldn't believe it. I could have 22 pairs of Alden shell or one pair of lobbs? Or perhaps 5 pairs of eg top drawer with 5 pairs of shell Aldens.
post #45547 of 87436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomore View Post

Want some input from you guys on what you think my first Alden should be. I am having difficulty deciding.

I am leaning towards a boot. But I love the LWB as well. What do you guys think? Is there a versatile shoe that I shouldn't miss right now?

I would go color 8 longwing. I wear jeans most days and it works well with them. You can't go wrong with boots either. Good luck!
post #45548 of 87436
Quote:
Originally Posted by amathew View Post

I'm also debating on what I should get as my first pair of Aldens, the Indy boot or the shell indy boot. 

I've read a bit about how shell doesn't breathe well but my main concern is the weight. Is there a significant difference in weight between a shell boot and non-shell boot. I have a small physical disability and don't like wearing heavy boots/shoes because it exacerbates my disability, so I'd like to stay with something "lightweight"

A boot like a color 8 indy on double leather soles will be noticeably heavier than a boot like the 405 on Alden's commando soles (EDIT - the regular Indy boots are pretty heavy due to the cork sole)
post #45549 of 87436
Quote:
Originally Posted by amathew View Post

I'm also debating on what I should get as my first pair of Aldens, the Indy boot or the shell indy boot. 

 

I've read a bit about how shell doesn't breathe well but my main concern is the weight. Is there a significant difference in weight between a shell boot and non-shell boot. I have a small physical disability and don't like wearing heavy boots/shoes because it exacerbates my disability, so I'd like to stay with something "lightweight"

If I could go back and do it again I would start with a #8 or cigar cordovan indy boot. Cordovan boots will not be heavier than regular leathers. It may actually be lighter in weight.

post #45550 of 87436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

So the LWB only goes with chinos (not trying to be argumentative, just curious about your thinking)

Depending on what look you are trying to achieve, anything from sneakers/work boots to balmoral boots/shoes seem to go with jeans, so I would think LWB would fit in that spectrum. I can understand the idea about LWB with suits (even though I disagree with it)

yeah i think the #8 barrie LWB/WTB looks most at home with casual wool pants (not smooth worsteds) or chinos. too much more casual or dressy than that (such as jeans or a business suit) and it starts to look incongruous. i think it can work with jeans, but it needs to be a pretty dress outfit. super dark jeans, no streaks or fades. no untucked shirts. preferably a sport jacket. i do that look pretty often with my #8 WTB's, but i just feel the same outfit with a less dressy-looking shoe (such as a ravello or suede WTB or a #8 PTB) would look a bit more balanced.

for background, i haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate seeing dudes wear jeans with dressy looking shoes such as black balmorals. jeans are the most workwear of pants that men can wear (aside from paint-stained overalls) so to me, the shoes worn with jeans shouldn't look dressy. like how you would never wear a tuxedo jacket with floral-print swim tunks. everything has to be from the same level of dressiness.
post #45551 of 87436
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

Gentlemen - Thank you for the compliments on the #4 Captoes. I feel very lucky having gotten these as they were made in an extremely small batch, after initially having been cancelled. The Shoe Mart was the seller.

Part of me wants to keep these pristine and not wear them much due to their scarcity but the other part of me loves the shade and can't help but wanting to wear them often.

Do you like the #4 captoe better than the #4 wingtip boot?
post #45552 of 87436
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

Gentlemen - Thank you for the compliments on the #4 Captoes. I feel very lucky having gotten these as they were made in an extremely small batch, after initially having been cancelled. The Shoe Mart was the seller.

Part of me wants to keep these pristine and not wear them much due to their scarcity but the other part of me loves the shade and can't help but wanting to wear them often.

Good god, brother—wear them!  Patina trumps pristine every time.  

post #45553 of 87436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina View Post

Good god, brother—wear them!  Patina trumps pristine every time.  

+1 I understand your desire to maintain them however (this is easy to say as I'm not the owner). Please share them with the world. Those boots were meant to shine brilliantly in this cold world, if it's bit much I apologize lol.
post #45554 of 87436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Looking good in your PGH LHS, Frank!

Thanks, you've had something of corner on the LHS photos recently. And PGH is right. Maybe I should start referring to them that way. Pretend they are some super rare #8 LHS: Only available in PGH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amathew View Post

I'm also debating on what I should get as my first pair of Aldens, the Indy boot or the shell indy boot. 

I've read a bit about how shell doesn't breathe well but my main concern is the weight. Is there a significant difference in weight between a shell boot and non-shell boot. I have a small physical disability and don't like wearing heavy boots/shoes because it exacerbates my disability, so I'd like to stay with something "lightweight"

I do think the shell Indy will be heavier, though that is because of the double leather sole, not the shell cordovan itself IMO. Something with a single leather sole would be good for less weight, though I don't think you'll find a boot that way (other than on the Modified last, which is impossible or very expensive to find in shell). Single leather sole shoe makeups are more formal in general. The exception that comes to mind immediately is the #8 unlined LHS from Brooks Brothers.
post #45555 of 87436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkater1 View Post

Do you like the #4 captoe better than the #4 wingtip boot?

Yes, Captoes win out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina View Post

Good god, brother—wear them!  Patina trumps pristine every time.  

Excellent point!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

+1 I understand your desire to maintain them however (this is easy to say as I'm not the owner). Please share them with the world. Those boots were meant to shine brilliantly in this cold world, if it's bit much I apologize lol.

Cold, cruel world, meet my #4 Captoes. Can't we all just get along and wear better shoes?
Edited by sazon - 3/13/13 at 11:26am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***