or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 3009

post #45121 of 87445
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

Go with Alden Plaza. nod[1].gif

I have - or should I say had - both. biggrin.gif My BB Peal captoe boots by C&J were returned by me as defective as the shell finish/dye/whatever was rubbing off. There were places on the boot where the coloring was becoming streaky. Weird. I was given a refund without incident. This is the second pair of said BB boots I have had in my possession that had this issue. The first pair was returned by me before I wore them outside - I just wasn't liking what I was seeing (I had laced them around the back of the boot and the same streakiness was present). A few months later I tried my hand at a second pair thinking that the first pair was an anomaly. No dice. So I went 0 for 2. And the first pair arrived with Dainite and the second pair arrived with double leather????? And I like C&J shell, and have other models I like just fine - Marlow, Bradford, etc.

But on top of the above experience, the Alden Plaza is more sleek and Alden's color 8, IMO, is a much better dark burgundy - much better - than C&J's burgundy shell.

I appreciate you sharing your experience(s) with the BB boot. I'm quite fond of both, but its the little things that I'm debating in my head atm. Eyelets vs none, reverse welt vs none, the shape of the toebox is slightly similar since the Plaza last is a bit narrower than other common Alden lasts. Maybe I'll deliberate till I change my mind completely.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #45122 of 87445
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

You're rockin' it, Argentino!  I love the worn-in look of the #8's.  Don't tell me those are the 702's with faded hems?

They look more like Epaulet navy rivet chinos to me but hard to tell given the camera edits
post #45123 of 87445

I know we have some really knowledgeable posters about shoe construction who might help satisfy my curiosity, and it's really nothing but plain curiosity.

 

What causes some shoes/boots to be really loud when walking and others not so much?  Like my chunky Alden boots are not that noisy at all (double-leather or water-lock soles and leather heels with dovetail rubber).  But my AE Daltons and even my Strand shoes are incredibly noisy.

post #45124 of 87445
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

Alden does not currently offer a shell SWB that I know of, much less one in Cigar.

So with the Marlow, Alden has no comparable model that is even offered. Buy the Marlow. Buy some Aldens. I don't see it as one against the other.

Alden's Cigar LWB (which I have) and the Marlow SWB (which I have) is an apples to oranges comparison. The model of shoe is totally different.

Someone mentioned that the Marlow is inbetween ravello and cigar in color. That may be the case for some, but mine is a true and rich dark brown, even darker than many - if not all - of my Alden cigar models.

I think I showed this before but here is a side-by-side view of my Alden cigar LWB, C&J/RL dark brown Marlow, and Alfred Sargent cognac Miller
Untitled
post #45125 of 87445
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

I know we have some really knowledgeable posters about shoe construction who might help satisfy my curiosity, and it's really nothing but plain curiosity.

What causes some shoes/boots to be really loud when walking and others not so much?  Like my chunky Alden boots are not that noisy at all (double-leather or water-lock soles and leather heels with dovetail rubber).  But my AE Daltons and even my Strand shoes are incredibly noisy.

I would think the density of the leather used on the heel stack... but then again, I am one of the lesser knowledgeable members when it comes to construction.
post #45126 of 87445
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

You're rockin' it, Argentino!  I love the worn-in look of the #8's.  Don't tell me those are the 702's with faded hems?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

They look more like Epaulet navy rivet chinos to me but hard to tell given the camera edits

Yes sir, Momotaro 702s today. FWIW, for all my edits texture wise, I try to keep colors generally true to life. I'll brighten/darken, play with contrast, but don't shift the color spectrum.

I just like playing with snapseed, and find it incredibly fun when compared to other apps like instagram, etc.

BootSpell - re: distressing. I find that on this pair (both when I received them from another user on the B/S and subsequently), the edgetrim gets a bit hammered. I kind of like it though given I wear the boot more casually. A bit more character...
post #45127 of 87445
Maiden voyage of some new (to me) Alden monks.



This is a curious pair acquired from eBay. I failed to read the description carefully: one shoe is calfskin and one shell. Not ideal, but for a beater pair with jeans I'm going to live with them. I consider it an inexpensive opportunity to try the Aberdeen last.
post #45128 of 87445
Quote:
Originally Posted by DpprDr View Post

I think I showed this before but here is a side-by-side view of my Alden cigar LWB, C&J/RL dark brown Marlow, and Alfred Sargent cognac Miller
Untitled

This is a great pic - you can really see how different the Cigar LWB is from the RL Marlow. The Cigar has some really nice olive tones to it, while the Marlow is more of a straight-up deep brown. Both are excellent choices.
post #45129 of 87445
Quote:
Originally Posted by masaccio View Post

Maiden voyage of some new (to me) Alden monks.



This is a curious pair acquired from eBay. I failed to read the description carefully: one shoe is calfskin and one shell. Not ideal, but for a beater pair with jeans I'm going to live with them. I consider it an inexpensive opportunity to try the Aberdeen last.

epi, this could be a pretty cool experiment and no one else will know. keep us posted with the progress.
post #45130 of 87445
Any sizing info between Marlow and Barrie last.
post #45131 of 87445
Quote:
Originally Posted by DpprDr View Post

I think I showed this before but here is a side-by-side view of my Alden cigar LWB, C&J/RL dark brown Marlow, and Alfred Sargent cognac Miller
Untitled
Now that I can see the LWB next to the Marlow certain aesthetic differences become apparent. Long-wing v swb not withstanding, the Alden looks historically classic like you could have pulled them out of your grandfathers closet. The C&J looks like a compilation of modern style points with an homage towards the past. I know that makes no sense what so ever.
post #45132 of 87445

  soon to hit the pavement Inky Black Roy Boots

 

 

 

 

 

post #45133 of 87445
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

I know we have some really knowledgeable posters about shoe construction who might help satisfy my curiosity, and it's really nothing but plain curiosity.

 

What causes some shoes/boots to be really loud when walking and others not so much?  Like my chunky Alden boots are not that noisy at all (double-leather or water-lock soles and leather heels with dovetail rubber).  But my AE Daltons and even my Strand shoes are incredibly noisy.

 

What sort of noise are you talking about?  The clacking of the heels and soles as they hit the floor?

post #45134 of 87445
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

That is correct. biggrin.gif

9C in whiskey lined
9C in color 8 BB unlined

Agreed. Same size 10.5D in lined and BB unlined:



post #45135 of 87445
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

Alden does not currently offer a shell SWB that I know of, much less one in Cigar.

The Shoe Mart looks to have shortwings available in both black shell and Color #8, both are balmorals. And Leffot has a shortwing blucher available in cigar.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***