or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2979

post #44671 of 91661
#4 is such a glorious color.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #44672 of 91661

I finally decided to go with the Cigar LWBs given the feedback on versatility issues (a heartfelt thanks to everyone who offered advice and/or pictures). It's hard to say no to whiskey (really more like a "not now" than a no), especially given my posttraumatic stress and disappointment related to having had to give up the whiskey LHS when that darn left shoe ended up longer than the other.

 

So, I'm building a fantasy LWB lineup and would love to hear thoughts on which specific acquisitions should come first and which specific LWBs I've inadvertently omitted.

 

As previously mentioned, the LWB stable currently includes:

JCrew waxed brown "cxl" that isn't cxl-looking

Snuff suede Jcrew

Color 8

Cigar (en route)

 

I'm thinking the next suspects will include:

whiskey

ravello (as if...)

#4 (I'm told by Kathy "aint gonna happen")

natural CXL (not sure if Leydon epaulet or Barrie leffot) --> how dark does it really get after, say, a year?

Alpine brown (would non-SF people know this was a different shoe than the JCrew lwb?)

Black shell (I know some of you don't wear this as much as the others)

 

When does one hit the asymptote / point of diminishing returns on the LWB front?

 

How many of you try to parallel your lwb collection with wingtip boots in similar finishes?

post #44673 of 91661

Getting ready to bust out the snuff suede lwb's (enough carpet treatment for them). Has anyone used Meltonian Water and Stain Protector on suede? Is it worth my while? Should I have gone with the Alden leather defender? Have you treated calf with the Meltonian?

 

Any light shed on the matter will be very appreciated.

 

Thanks!

post #44674 of 91661
I owned the LWB in #8 and the plaza last wingtip boot in #8. Ended up selling the wingtip boot as the two were really similar and the wingtip boots weren't getting any wear. I would try to branch out more in style and colors. You really don't need the boot and shoe version of the same design and color.
post #44675 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

#4 is such a glorious color.

Agreed.

Can anyone explain why #4 is so rare? Whiskey is the lightest color, but somehow ravello and #4 are more rare. You would think that any hides that qualify for whiskey qualify for all the other colors, no? Is it simply Alden creating artificial demand by rotating the "rare" colors and also selling a lot of it to Japan?

Finally, what would everyone's top pick be for a #4 makeup be? I'm not sure, but that #4 LHS is pretty awesome.
post #44676 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

Agreed.

What would everyone's top pick be for a #4 makeup be? I'm not sure, but that #4 LHS is pretty awesome.

#4 lhs would be fun--without the 4 figure price tag. Probably hard to do a makeup not only due to the scarcity issue, but also the width variability issue.

What about a #4 Plaza lasted Medallion cap toe or a plaza lasted double monk strap?
post #44677 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post

#4 lhs would be fun--without the 4 figure price tag. Probably hard to do a makeup not only due to the scarcity issue, but also the width variability issue.

What about a #4 Plaza lasted Medallion cap toe or a plaza lasted double monk strap?

Sign me up for a #4 Plaza last double monk.
post #44678 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I finally decided to go with the Cigar LWBs given the feedback on versatility issues (a heartfelt thanks to everyone who offered advice and/or pictures). It's hard to say no to whiskey (really more like a "not now" than a no), especially given my posttraumatic stress and disappointment related to having had to give up the whiskey LHS when that darn left shoe ended up longer than the other.

So, I'm building a fantasy LWB lineup and would love to hear thoughts on which specific acquisitions should come first and which specific LWBs I've inadvertently omitted.

As previously mentioned, the LWB stable currently includes:
JCrew waxed brown "cxl" that isn't cxl-looking
Snuff suede Jcrew
Color 8
Cigar (en route)

I'm thinking the next suspects will include:
whiskey
ravello (as if...)
#4 (I'm told by Kathy "aint gonna happen")
natural CXL (not sure if Leydon epaulet or Barrie leffot) --> how dark does it really get after, say, a year?
Alpine brown (would non-SF people know this was a different shoe than the JCrew lwb?)
Black shell (I know some of you don't wear this as much as the others)

When does one hit the asymptote / point of diminishing returns on the LWB front?

How many of you try to parallel your lwb collection with wingtip boots in similar finishes?

You'll find a variety of approaches to building a shoe wardrobe here, from getting the rainbow in a particular style, to strictly avoiding doubling up on a style until you have the rainbow. I tend to be on the not doubling up side, so I'd urge you to consider a variety of styles -- PTB, LHS, NST shoe or boot, cap toe shoe or boot, and so on -- before obsessing too much over a single style. That's ultimately a personal style choice, though, and if you post an LWB rainbow pic in 6 months, I'll surely icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif it.
post #44679 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post

Sign me up for a #4 Plaza last double monk.

Maybe we could get Kathy at DC to do a SF #4 Plaza double monk makeup with expected delivery circa 2020. wink.gif
post #44680 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post


Hope to see your new cap toes soon... smile.gif
Thanks for the encouragement. I don't think I'll need to buy a chambray suit first though. Whatever it takes, right?
post #44681 of 91661
youll need to give alden another 20 years to catch onto the double monk trend
post #44682 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

You'll find a variety of approaches to building a shoe wardrobe here, from getting the rainbow in a particular style, to strictly avoiding doubling up on a style until you have the rainbow. I tend to be on the not doubling up side, so I'd urge you to consider a variety of styles -- PTB, LHS, NST shoe or boot, cap toe shoe or boot, and so on -- before obsessing too much over a single style. That's ultimately a personal style choice, though, and if you post an LWB rainbow pic in 6 months, I'll surely icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif it.

Thanks always for your well thought out feedback. I think you're right. Breadth AND depth are key to the shoe wardrobe. I think it's been easier to fantasize about the rainbow of lwb because, well, I know lwb's. not sure how I'd wear the ptb. I always get confused. Do you dress it up with crisper pants/suits or is it casual wear (eg w chinos or cords)? Some have said nst is too casual. Is this a widely held opinion? I think I could try to build more lhs's in, but I want to beat them up and wear them primarily in summer w no sox. Too many lhs's would get confusing because they'd interfere with casual weekend boots' airtime. Nobody knows the trouble I've seen...

And yes, my pics are long overdue. Waiting for wife to kick the flu and go out w her friends. She always smirks at my weirdness when the dslr comes out for shoes.
post #44683 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

#4 is such a glorious color.

I agree, and I have it in a non- Alden PTB. That said, with respect to exotics, I would take cigar and ravello over color 4 if I had to take one and not the other. Color 4 is quite red, and I would take the dark brown of cigar and the medium brown of ravello over it if I had to leave one out. I suspect many who have never seen color 4 in person would find it too red for their liking. Some of course would like the redness, but I suspect some would not.
post #44684 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

I agree, and I have it in a non- Alden PTB. That said, with respect to exotics, I would take cigar and ravello over color 4 if I had to take one and not the other. Color 4 is quite red, and I would take the dark brown of cigar and the medium brown of ravello over it if I had to leave one out. I suspect many who have never seen color 4 in person would find it too red for their liking. Some of course would like the redness, but I suspect some would not.

SFTG, you are correct sir. #4 is the occasional shoe in my collection that I wear for a pop. Never found a belt to match my #4 shoes. Here's a few pics of my LS #4 4x4 to showcase the color.





post #44685 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

I decided to go with the Alden for BB medallion cap toe blucher.  Very happy to find this old stock brand new, never been worn...








I passed on a bnib AE burgundy shell strand for just about the same price, in favor of these.  I'm pretty happy with my choice.  Thanks to those who provided feedback!

These look like the factory 2145, on the Aberdeen. Do they say 2145 inside?

Nice shoes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***