or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2943

post #44131 of 87600


Ravello Medallion Cap Toe

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #44132 of 87600
Delete
post #44133 of 87600
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG WONG View Post



Ravello Medallion Cap Toe

i wish they offered this makeup in an e width. plaza is an odd shape
post #44134 of 87600

delete.


Edited by str1185 - 2/25/13 at 2:59pm
post #44135 of 87600

Nice you got your order from NRO? no sign from them yet except for an email saying my order shipped, but they did not provide tracking number. 

 

When did you order? Did they provide you a tracking number? I don't owe any suede aldens, but I really am considering now that I see them. I kinda like the brown color.

post #44136 of 87600
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypomnema View Post



Snuff suede unlike chukkas just arrived from NRO. Is it just me, or is the color a bit off? Seems awfully .. Well, brown. I seem to recall them being more orange-ish.

Also, they're rather tight. I wear an 8 Barrie, so I went 8.5 for Leydon. How much will the suede stretch and loosen with wear?

Actually, steven Taffel at Leffot only sells the "E" width because they run narrow--it isn't just you. If you haven't worn them I would try and get an "E."
post #44137 of 87600
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1185 View Post

Nice you got your order from NRO? no sign from them yet except for an email saying my order shipped, but they did not provide tracking number. 

When did you order? Did they provide you a tracking number? I don't owe any suede aldens, but I really am considering now that I see them. I kinda like the brown color.

Yeah, I emailed them asking for tracking but they never wrote back. I'm in NYC, though, so it only took two business days to receive them. I ordered on a Friday(?), they shipped the following Thursday and arrived today.

Yeah, I like the brown too. Just a little different than what I was expecting, but I'm happy with them.

Do you all usually put topys on the the flex sole?
post #44138 of 87600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post

Actually, steven Taffel at Leffot only sells the "E" width because they run narrow--it isn't just you. If you haven't worn them I would try and get an "E."

Interesting. I measure a C width and they're still very snug. Anyway, with the discount I got, I'm sure I can't return them.
post #44139 of 87600

So if I send my BB Unlined #8 LHS to Alden for a re-craft, are they going to paint my toe stitching #8 instead of leaving it light?  This may cause me to go to B. Nelson if they spray the shoe down with #8 again.  I like the patina as they are right now.  Thanks for any input gents.

post #44140 of 87600
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipshot View Post

So if I send my BB Unlined #8 LHS to Alden for a re-craft, are they going to paint my toe stitching #8 instead of leaving it light?  This may cause me to go to B. Nelson if they spray the shoe down with #8 again.  I like the patina as they are right now.  Thanks for any input gents.

i was under the impression Alden didn't recraft BB models? i thought the general rule was if it didn't say "Alden" somewhere on the shoe, BB won't recraft it.
post #44141 of 87600
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypomnema View Post

Interesting. I measure a C width and they're still very snug. Anyway, with the discount I got, I'm sure I can't return them.

I have the same pair of snuff suede chukkas that I got from NRO last year. The color looks fine - they tend to look a little more orange-ish in direct sunlight and more of a light brown indoors. I went up a width and a half size from my Barrie size (12B). I originally ordered 12C but they were too tight in my toes so I returned them for a 12.5C and now I love the fit (FWIW my brannock size is 12.5B) I didn't experience any noticeable stretching.
post #44142 of 87600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post

I have the same pair of snuff suede chukkas that I got from NRO last year. The color looks fine - they tend to look a little more orange-ish in direct sunlight and more of a light brown indoors. I went up a width and a half size from my Barrie size (12B). I originally ordered 12C but they were too tight in my toes so I returned them for a 12.5C and now I love the fit (FWIW my brannock size is 12.5B) I didn't experience any noticeable stretching.

They let you exchange even though you got a discount?

Edit: I guess it's just returns they won't take after the discount. With their reputation, I just hesitate to try any sort of special request or service.
post #44143 of 87600
Delete
post #44144 of 87600

A bit late, but I thought it would still be useful to share the denouement from my adventure ordering LHSs in the van last from Alden DC, as I know folks have been thinking about fit questions. Some may recall that I posted last week about making an original order of whiskey shell LHSs from Kathy. (I'm an 8.5D in the Barrie & Trubalance and wear a 9D in the Grant-lasted cap toe shell 8 boot). I posted the following pics of the mismatched whiskey pair in which the left foot was considerably longer than the right.

 

 

 

 

So, I called Kathy up feeling validated by thread members' helpful and supportive comments (many thanks, btw!). She very graciously sent out a 9D cigar shell LHS, as well as a 9C that no one ended up picking up. I tried both on over the course of several days and even taped a tongue pad to the inside of each loafer. I ended up going with the 9C, which I thought was interesting in light of some earlier feedback that one should go with the Barrie size or the Barrie size minus a width. The 9C felt like it was snug, but not too snug in the toe box (maybe I have freakishly long toes, idk), and only the slightest heel slippage, which Kathy said would likely go away as the shank settled (this seems realistic and does not lend itself to the feeling that I could kick off the shoe by accident while walking).

 

The fit-related points of interest are as follows: I found it striking that the 9D in whiskey (the normal sized shoe, not the mistakenly enlarged left shoe, mind you) appeared to be of a different length than the 9D cigar. As you can see, the heel appears to extend outward just a smidge more on the cigar as compared with the whiskey.

 

 

 

Here's a couple of pics of the final reveal. Sorry again for the crummy iphone 5 pics.

 

 

 

 

The last couple of thoughts are what I'm hoping folks can offer some feedback on, with the general topic being the color of cigar shell vs. color 8. Here is a pic of the cigar LHSs near a pair of color 8 lwb's I recently picked up from CitiShoes (nice guys, btw). At first, I thought Kathy sent me color 8 LHSs, but she confirmed that that was not at all the case.

 

 

 

Do folks who own both shells find that it happens that cigar can sometimes look like color 8? Do you think this will always be the case? Do the cigar or color 8 shells tend to darken or lighten over time?

 

This feeds into my last question: I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of Cigar shell LWBs. This will be a 4th LWB on top of the color 8s I mentioned, the JCrew "brown waxed" CXLs and the JCrew snuff suedes. Is Cigar LWB going to be worth the $710 or should I save the $ and wait out a whiskey or ravello LWB in the off chance it comes available in the next year? (Rounding out the wardrobe for now are the Ultimate Indy from LS in CXL brown and Kathy's grant color 8 cap toe boot). Please tell me if I'm being redundant with the cigar thing. (The financially cautious side of me is rationalizing holding off, saying there is a pair of chocolate calf AE longwings that can fake the dark brown look; the other side of me is saying, there might not be another chance at the Cigar LWB for a while). Please help me build a versatile wardrobe and not buy on impulse...

post #44145 of 87600
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypomnema View Post

They let you exchange even though you got a discount?

Edit: I guess it's just returns they won't take after the discount. With their reputation, I just hesitate to try any sort of special request or service.

Yeah I think exchanges were fine, but I couldn't do a return for my money back. I lucked out that they actually had a size 12.5C in stock, so the return was relatively seamless. I'm stuck dealing with them on a separate issue now and they are the worst. Once I get the pair I'm waiting for I won't be doing business with them again, no matter what the discount is.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***