or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2928

post #43906 of 91818
Papa D: I am pretty OCD about my shell as well. As much as this may irk you today, a year from now the enjoyment you will have received from wearing this awesome boot will outweigh this little quirk by 100X.

As Uncle Mac says, they're shoes after all, not Rembrandts. smile.gif

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #43907 of 91818

+1.  They wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.  I would keep them.

post #43908 of 91818

   


Edited by bnigut - 2/25/13 at 7:00am
post #43909 of 91818

Also, others probably won't notice unless they are lying on the floor looking at your shoes, as they are typically looking at your shoes from above.

 

I realized this because I was really drawn to the antique edge trim on the Cigar LHS when I was buying them.  While wearing them, it is much less noticeable than in the TSM pics.

post #43910 of 91818
Just received my new shells (PTB 4 eyelet) from LS.. More pics later.

post #43911 of 91818
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

Big hole captoes from Epaulet.

can the ravello pre order of these just go into production PLEASE
post #43912 of 91818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel28 View Post

Just received my new shells (PTB 4 eyelet) from LS.. More pics later.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Yes please.
post #43913 of 91818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

Received some Leffot #8 Tankers this week:


[/SPOILER]

I would keep those, that's a nice pair of boots. I have returned Aldens in the past for different reasons, your tankers are keepers.
post #43914 of 91818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

Received some Leffot #8 Tankers this week:


A few more pics: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


I almost wish I didn't look, but while an inspection under normal indoor lighting reveals essentially no flaws, under direct sunlight the front of the left boot has a section that appears lighter (took the dye differently, I guess), and that has a dark line in the middle of this section.


A few more pics of this imperfection: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Do they have another pair in your size to look over? If so, you have nothing to lose, provided you can assess each pair and keep the one that is best. NOTE: A straight exchange may result in the new pair being worse, while the old pair gets sold to a third party.

I assume they don't have another pair. Moving on.

If the fit is good, and you otherwise like them, I can say with some degree of certainty that you will regret sending these back (if you do) for that "imperfection."

In all seriousness, if one looks long enough at any new pair of shells, one can find at least a perceived imperfection. For starters, the hide does not take to the dye uniformly, meaning, there will never be total consistency of color thru-out the entire shoe/boot (black excluded).

As I have acquired more shell over time, I have become less and less concerned about "imperfections" like this one. My concerns have lessened partially because it happens all the time - whether Alden., AE, C&J, etc., partially because many perceived imperfections are simply due to the nature of shell, and particularly because sending them back means you may never get that model again in your size (or at least not for many months/years). I can think of numerous models I have that were literally "the last one" in my size they had.

So ............ all of this is to say, keep the boots - they look great. And, if you wish, throw some Saphir cordo cream in burgundy on that spot.

Enjoy!!
post #43915 of 91818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Also, others probably won't notice unless they are lying on the floor looking at your shoes, as they are typically looking at your shoes from above.

I realized this because I was really drawn to the antique edge trim on the Cigar LHS when I was buying them.  While wearing them, it is much less noticeable than in the TSM pics.

I hate when people do this. lol8[1].gif
post #43916 of 91818


Epaulet NatCXL Gunboats on a beautiful Friday.

+Snapseed
Edited by El Argentino - 2/22/13 at 2:31pm
post #43917 of 91818
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post



Epaulet NatCXL Gunboats on a beautiful Friday.

+Snapseed

You made the right choice going with these... I am liking my pair from Leffot a lot
post #43918 of 91818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Unfortunate imperfection in the dyeing, but otherwise looks like a great pair. I don't think the mark will have a real impact on the overall look of the boots. Keep em
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

+1.  They wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.  I would keep them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

Papa D: I am pretty OCD about my shell as well. As much as this may irk you today, a year from now the enjoyment you will have received from wearing this awesome boot will outweigh this little quirk by 100X.

As Uncle Mac says, they're shoes after all, not Rembrandts. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Also, others probably won't notice unless they are lying on the floor looking at your shoes, as they are typically looking at your shoes from above.

I realized this because I was really drawn to the antique edge trim on the Cigar LHS when I was buying them.  While wearing them, it is much less noticeable than in the TSM pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post

I would keep those, that's a nice pair of boots. I have returned Aldens in the past for different reasons, your tankers are keepers.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqroot3 View Post

it may be worthwhile to see if you can even this out with some reno/venetian. the cream will allow you to pick up some dye onto an applicator of your choice and you may be able to move the dye around or just wipe it off.

If this didn't work would you consider using some Saphir burgundy cordovan creme?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

Do they have another pair in your size to look over? If so, you have nothing to lose, provided you can assess each pair and keep the one that is best. NOTE: A straight exchange may result in the new pair being worse, while the old pair gets sold to a third party.

I assume they don't have another pair. Moving on.

If the fit is good, and you otherwise like them, I can say with some degree of certainty that you will regret sending these back (if you do) for that "imperfection."

In all seriousness, if one looks long enough at any new pair of shells, one can find at least a perceived imperfection. For starters, the hide does not take to the dye uniformly, meaning, there will never be total consistency of color thru-out the entire shoe/boot (black excluded).

As I have acquired more shell over time, I have become less and less concerned about "imperfections" like this one. My concerns have lessened partially because it happens all the time - whether Alden., AE, C&J, etc., partially because many perceived imperfections are simply due to the nature of shell, and particularly because sending them back means you may never get that model again in your size (or at least not for many months/years). I can think of numerous models I have that were literally "the last one" in my size they had.

So ............ all of this is to say, keep the boots - they look great. And, if you wish, throw some Saphir cordo cream in burgundy on that spot.

Enjoy!!

Thanks SFTG. There isn't another pair in my size, and I'm sure it would be another year before the next pre order -- and like you say, the next pair could be worse (coloring, loose stitching, etc.).
post #43919 of 91818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

You made the right choice going with these... I am liking my pair from Leffot a lot

Thanks Alcibiades - I'm finding that they hit a really "sweet-spot" in my wardrobe that I'd been looking to fill with various other shoes. I enjoy the Leydon last a lot, and the slightly different silhouette it creates. And based on my current wardrobe composition the color goes really well with just about anything I can throw together in the morning.

Hits all my bases! wink.gif
post #43920 of 91818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

Received some Leffot #8 Tankers this week:


A few more pics: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


I almost wish I didn't look, but while an inspection under normal indoor lighting reveals essentially no flaws, under direct sunlight the front of the left boot has a section that appears lighter (took the dye differently, I guess), and that has a dark line in the middle of this section.


A few more pics of this imperfection: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Beautiful boots!  Mine were part of that pre-order, but unfortunately, they didn't make it out of Alden's QC.  Steven was a complete gentleman in handling the situation, so kudos to Leffot on their customer service.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***