or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2925

post #43861 of 87549
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

PJ's? Sucre? Rue? CC's? Or somewhere else?

Starbucks she loves the foo foo drinks so I indulge as she is quite permissive of my habits.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #43862 of 87549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Even though they are boring, you may as well invest in a black shoe now. The thing is they come in handy in situations like this and can be worn with black tie. The last wedding I was in I actually wore my black shell Rider bal captoe boots, worked out pretty well (even though it was probably a bad purchase overall)

I agree that if I were Dbear, I'd just take this opportunity to get my one formal black shoe.
post #43863 of 87549
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThArtOfWardrobe View Post

 

 

Also, interesting to note that the bit of leather attached to the toe of my pair with crepe sole has not worn down like the rest of my double leather soles. Not sure if Alden uses a different/tougher leather on those. 

 

 

Maybe it's due to the overall stiffness of the entire sole.  I don't have anything on the crepe, but if it's more flexible than leather, maybe that results in less friction as you push off with you toe while walking. 

 

Just a possible theory.

post #43864 of 87549
Whoever the lucky gent is that got the new color8 tanker boot from leffot in 9D on preorder, if for some reason they don't work out for you, let me know. I have LUCKILY secured a pair with the normal welt, but it would be great to have a second pair with that sweet antique edge.
(this follows the generous offer of another sf guy who got the 8.5 from leffot, but sadly i need the 9D)


keep rocking guys

DonL's posts have been amazing lately.
post #43865 of 87549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

I agree that if I were Dbear, I'd just take this opportunity to get my one formal black shoe.

Formality, like beauty, is often in the eye of the beholder, but if I didn't already own the creamery boot for most of my black shoe needs I would find the Leffot Naval Boot a great choice for that one pair of black shell.
post #43866 of 87549
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrabbit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

I agree that if I were Dbear, I'd just take this opportunity to get my one formal black shoe.

Formality, like beauty, is often in the eye of the beholder, but if I didn't already own the creamery boot for most of my black shoe needs I would find the Leffot Naval Boot a great choice for that one pair of black shell.

yes that is a great option. the black shortwing boot is pretty tops as well, but is perhaps a little flashy for formal.
post #43867 of 87549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThArtOfWardrobe View Post

Also, interesting to note that the bit of leather attached to the toe of my pair with crepe sole has not worn down like the rest of my double leather soles. Not sure if Alden uses a different/tougher leather on those. 

Maybe it's due to the overall stiffness of the entire sole.  I don't have anything on the crepe, but if it's more flexible than leather, maybe that results in less friction as you push off with you toe while walking. 

Just a possible theory.

my experience has led me to think that its because the crepe sole allows the shoe to crease upward slightly more and so the tip of the sole doesn't strike the ground with as much force. its more a rolling action as opposed to the usual slight scrape that takes place.
post #43868 of 87549
Quote:
Originally Posted by closerlook View Post


my experience has led me to think that its because the crepe sole allows the shoe to crease upward slightly more and so the tip of the sole doesn't strike the ground with as much force. its more a rolling action as opposed to the usual slight scrape that takes place.

That's what I was trying to say.

post #43869 of 87549
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrabbit View Post

Formality, like beauty, is often in the eye of the beholder, but if I didn't already own the creamery boot for most of my black shoe needs I would find the Leffot Naval Boot a great choice for that one pair of black shell.
I just looked at the Leffot Naval Boot. Really nice! Does anyone have experience with this particular boot? Does it run TTS in the Barrie last? I'm definitely giving it consideration. How does it work as a dress shoe? They've got my size and I think I should get in on the pre-order. Thanks.
post #43870 of 87549
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrabbit View Post

Formality, like beauty, is often in the eye of the beholder, but if I didn't already own the creamery boot for most of my black shoe needs I would find the Leffot Naval Boot a great choice for that one pair of black shell.

The Leffot Naval Boot is pretty sweet, I agree.
post #43871 of 87549

Some interesting developments are happening in the midst of my recent purchase of whiskey LHSs from Alden of DC. Hoping to get some feedback on some choices I'm going to be making. Here's the situation:

 

I ordered the whiskey LHS in a Van last from Kathy a couple days back. I was unsure about whether to go with the 8.5 or 9D. She erred on the side of TTS. The shoes came today and are lovely--but with one catch. The left shoe is arguably a couple cm longer than the right shoe. Both are marked 9D, so it's not a mismatched pair. The right shoe fits exactly the way I wanted a loafer to fit: snug, but not suffocating; enough room in the toe area; and no heel slippage whatsoever. The left shoe was a train wreck. My heel outright pops out of the shoe no matter how delicately I step or scrunch my toes in an attempt to hold onto the shoe.

 

I got on the phone with Kathy, who has graciously offered to not only mail me a set of tongue pads for the left shoe, but is also shipping (at no charge or deposit whatsoever) a 9C and a 9D in the Cigar LHS. I can't wait to see the UPS guy tomorrow, but here are some questions:

 

- have you guys ever used more than one tongue pad to offset a length issue (I understand the adage that "if the shoe fits, wear it" and vice versa, but I'm hoping that finding just the right amount of padding could keep my left heel in the shoe)? During lunch, I tried padding with a remnant of a heel pad some SA at Neiman Marcus gave me--sadly, to no avail. The heel pad, which I placed at the tongue area was thin and kept slipping (because I didn't want to permanently affix something to a shoe I may be returning). 

 

Following are some pics of the length issue. (My apologies for the less-than-stellar-iphone-camera quality). I tried to line the shoes up as symmetrically as possible; I believe you can see how the left shoe just edges out the right shoe. (It's almost like someone used too large a shoe tree prior to sending them out)

 

 

 

 

- next question is about Whiskey vs Cigar shell. I feel "forced" to go with Cigar in light of the sizing issue, so it's hard to think about letting the Whiskey go. That said, I was on the fence between the two shells when I placed the original order with Kathy. Do you guys have a preference between Whiskey and Cigar shells? Which do you find more versatile? Which seems easier to maintain and keep nice looking?

 

- last question is about width and cordovan stretching. As I said, the right shoe in 9D van fits nicely. A 9C would likely have corrected the left heel slipping issue (I'm quite certain the left shoe is longer than the right, but am open to the possibility that I simply have two very different length feet). Obviously, there is no option to mix and match widths. I'm wondering (and I realize maybe I just need to try the damn shoes on) how much stretching or relaxing is likely to happen in the toe box or vamp if I end up going with the narrower pair. Will my right foot, which loved the 9D, end up feeling completely choked and blistery in the 9C? Will the 9C end up loosening somewhat? Would the answer be different if the shoes in question were calf rather than shell?

 

At the very least, this has been a lesson in being careful which retailer one attempts the long distance try-on with. Let me say unequivocally that Kathy has been more than a stand-up person about this whole endeavor. She has spent ample time on the phone with me, answering questions, theorizing about solutions. Her willingness to send out two pairs of shoes I haven't paid for while still deciding on the original pair is a testament to her putting customer service ahead of making quick sales. I heartily urge folks to call her. 

post #43872 of 87549
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post

I just looked at the Leffot Naval Boot. Really nice! Does anyone have experience with this particular boot? Does it run TTS in the Barrie last? I'm definitely giving it consideration. How does it work as a dress shoe? They've got my size and I think I should get in on the pre-order. Thanks.

its the jcrew #8 boot in black shell. plenty of pics on this thread from which I discern it to be a pretty nice dress shoe
post #43873 of 87549
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

its the jcrew #8 boot in black shell. plenty of pics on this thread from which I discern it to be a pretty nice dress shoe

Almost: the JCrew boot has speed hooks and a 270 degree welt, whereas the naval boot has all eyelets and a 360 degree welt.
post #43874 of 87549
Quote:
Originally Posted by docalden2013 View Post

Some interesting developments are happening in the midst of my recent purchase of whiskey LHSs from Alden of DC. Hoping to get some feedback on some choices I'm going to be making. Here's the situation:

 

I ordered the whiskey LHS in a Van last from Kathy a couple days back. I was unsure about whether to go with the 8.5 or 9D. She erred on the side of TTS. The shoes came today and are lovely--but with one catch. The left shoe is arguably a couple cm longer than the right shoe. Both are marked 9D, so it's not a mismatched pair. The right shoe fits exactly the way I wanted a loafer to fit: snug, but not suffocating; enough room in the toe area; and no heel slippage whatsoever. The left shoe was a train wreck. My heel outright pops out of the shoe no matter how delicately I step or scrunch my toes in an attempt to hold onto the shoe.

 

I got on the phone with Kathy, who has graciously offered to not only mail me a set of tongue pads for the left shoe, but is also shipping (at no charge or deposit whatsoever) a 9C and a 9D in the Cigar LHS. I can't wait to see the UPS guy tomorrow, but here are some questions:

 

- have you guys ever used more than one tongue pad to offset a length issue (I understand the adage that "if the shoe fits, wear it" and vice versa, but I'm hoping that finding just the right amount of padding could keep my left heel in the shoe)? During lunch, I tried padding with a remnant of a heel pad some SA at Neiman Marcus gave me--sadly, to no avail. The heel pad, which I placed at the tongue area was thin and kept slipping (because I didn't want to permanently affix something to a shoe I may be returning). 

 

Following are some pics of the length issue. (My apologies for the less-than-stellar-iphone-camera quality). I tried to line the shoes up as symmetrically as possible; I believe you can see how the left shoe just edges out the right shoe. (It's almost like someone used too large a shoe tree prior to sending them out)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

- next question is about Whiskey vs Cigar shell. I feel "forced" to go with Cigar in light of the sizing issue, so it's hard to think about letting the Whiskey go. That said, I was on the fence between the two shells when I placed the original order with Kathy. Do you guys have a preference between Whiskey and Cigar shells? Which do you find more versatile? Which seems easier to maintain and keep nice looking?

 

- last question is about width and cordovan stretching. As I said, the right shoe in 9D van fits nicely. A 9C would likely have corrected the left heel slipping issue (I'm quite certain the left shoe is longer than the right, but am open to the possibility that I simply have two very different length feet). Obviously, there is no option to mix and match widths. I'm wondering (and I realize maybe I just need to try the damn shoes on) how much stretching or relaxing is likely to happen in the toe box or vamp if I end up going with the narrower pair. Will my right foot, which loved the 9D, end up feeling completely choked and blistery in the 9C? Will the 9C end up loosening somewhat? Would the answer be different if the shoes in question were calf rather than shell?

 

At the very least, this has been a lesson in being careful which retailer one attempts the long distance try-on with. Let me say unequivocally that Kathy has been more than a stand-up person about this whole endeavor. She has spent ample time on the phone with me, answering questions, theorizing about solutions. Her willingness to send out two pairs of shoes I haven't paid for while still deciding on the original pair is a testament to her putting customer service ahead of making quick sales. I heartily urge folks to call her. 

 

 

 

There is nothing "arguable" about that.  The left shoe is clearly larger than the right shoe, and I wouldn't keep them no matter what happens.  You don't want to start forcing a shoe of this price and caliber to fit by using cheap adhesive foam pads.  Sometimes those are necessary for some people, but you should make sure the shoes are the best they can be before going that route. 

post #43875 of 87549
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

 

There is nothing "arguable" about that.  The left shoe is clearly larger than the right shoe, and I wouldn't keep them no matter what happens.  You don't want to start forcing a shoe of this price and caliber to fit by using cheap adhesive foam pads.  Sometimes those are necessary for some people, but you should make sure the shoes are the best they can be before going that route. 

Agree.  That is clearly a mis-marked 9.5 on the Left.

 

I have both Cigar and Whiskey LHS.  You will not be disappointed with the Cigar.  It is a very versatile shoe. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***