Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 7/14/15 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not? Last post on 4/4/14 at 1:25am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2858
Styleforum Top Picks
My Marlow wingtips have the same thing on one shoe. I'm not sure exactly what's causing it, but it does not seem as if it will ever go away. I second the notion to return or exchange if it really bothers you. Sometimes I wish I had, even though it's not a huge deal.
I have to say that there are some extremely unusual styles in that list of Shoemart seconds. Some very nice and some very very dubious. I suppose we like a certain subset of styles here on this thread (setting aside choice of material), but I wonder who the heck Alden is making all these oddball shoes for.
FWIW, I contacted them about 3 pairs of suede tassels in my size. They responded that they were posted erroneously and that they do not actually have the shoes about which I inquired.
I would have thought that it would have brushed out in 15 min. Maybe not the gash, but at least the color should have evened out. If you say it didn't work, than I have no reason to doubt you.
Are you TRYING to taunt me? They look great BTW. Go great with the pants.
First post after reading the official Alden thread this past month trying to get educated on all things Alden (I've decided that, despite my desire to be thorough and not embarrass myself on this forum given my Alden-illiteracy, it is highly unlikely I can read through all 2860 pages of the thread and stay married). Having said that, hope you guys will be patient as I pose some of my questions.
A little background on how I got here: As a mid/late-30's professional in health care, I decided to begin dressing more professionally. I've been trying to learn much more about permanent fashion in general this past year and moving beyond the fickle and random teachings of GQ (I'm intrigued with what I've learned so far from Flusser). To deal with my remedial shoe education, I got rid of a decade's worth of shoes and began investing in Allen Edmonds shoes (am I allowed to utter that brand here :) Over the course of reading up on AE, I naturally encountered the great Alden vs AE debate and decided to learn about Alden to settle it for myself. Well, thanks to Mac and many others very intriguing photos and wisdom, I've decided that one way to resolve ambivalence between two brands is to just buy some of both. So, my quest has begun for wingtips and boots from the Alden universe.
I finally took the plunge and ordered 2 LWBs from JCrew: the "waxed" tobacco horween CXL and the snuff suede (a shout-out to the personal stylist at JCrew who was able to get me a 25% discount!!). My first question to the forum is: Is there a Mac break-in procedure for non-shell Aldens?
The followup to that question is, which materials should I have on hand? I've taken a look at the goods offered on the Hanger Project and wondering which things I truly need and which things I could arguably skip.
Another question is: how many longwings does one need to make a decent rotation for oneself? I have a mind to get a Color 8 shell and would love to learn how one finds their way to a Ravello, Whiskey or Cigar shell LWB. (I guess I want to be like Mac when I grow up...)
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Thank you. Ended up with the dark Ravello Chukkas you mentioned.
Waiting for me at the door today:
thanks for the kind words gentlemen.
Michigan Planner, i've had them for a couple of years. i do not wear them much, but i really like them every time i put them on. i think saddles are a nice alternative to ptbs.
great looking photos, great looking longwings.
- ***The official Alden thread ***
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 3 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton,... 5 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 30 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 32 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 41 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 41 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Mcallister | Cappuccino Shell Cordovan | BRAND NEW 8.5E 43 minutes ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 46 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015