or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2819

post #42271 of 87673
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYGGG View Post




LS #8 Unlined PTB on the Flex.
The many photos of brand new Alden's on this forum are pretty cool. But, a pic of a well worn and well cared for shoe is a thing of beauty.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #42272 of 87673
So typically I have always thought myself an 8D on the Barrie last. When I was in New York recently I was told to try an 8E. I have an 8E Cigar Chukka here (LOVE this boot) and I am unsure of the fit. The shoe itself fits well across the vamp however I am getting a good amount of heel slip. I am unsure as to if the width is contributing to this or it is more a function of the 2 eyelet chukka? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated
post #42273 of 87673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikid View Post



here are a couple... they aren't as noticeable in the picture as in real life but I think you can tell what I am talking about...






thanks
I have those on my Whiskey PTBs too. But I'm not too worried about them.
post #42274 of 87673
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

So typically I have always thought myself an 8D on the Barrie last. When I was in New York recently I was told to try an 8E. I have an 8E Cigar Chukka here (LOVE this boot) and I am unsure of the fit. The shoe itself fits well across the vamp however I am getting a good amount of heel slip. I am unsure as to if the width is contributing to this or it is more a function of the 2 eyelet chukka? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

1) Many people report heel slippage gets better after a few wears
2) The two eleyet chukka will fit different than other boots or shoes (a bit less secure around the ankle)
3) Cigar chukkas are great - the more you wear them, the more you will like them. They are a great way to show off she'll
post #42275 of 87673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashiwa View Post

Lakota House nailed this one.

[IMG ALT="CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90"]http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/664966/width/500/heig ht/1000[/IMG]

Yes, yes they did

http://www.lakota.co.jp/updates/index.php?ID=5140
post #42276 of 87673
I have been debating about acquiring a chukka boot as well. Once someone posted a picture of a 6 eyelet chukka my mind was set to wait until I could find a pair.
post #42277 of 87673
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

So typically I have always thought myself an 8D on the Barrie last. When I was in New York recently I was told to try an 8E. I have an 8E Cigar Chukka here (LOVE this boot) and I am unsure of the fit. The shoe itself fits well across the vamp however I am getting a good amount of heel slip. I am unsure as to if the width is contributing to this or it is more a function of the 2 eyelet chukka? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Just to chime in on this. In terms of sizing, I think you and I are similar.

I wear an 8D in barrie lasted ptbs and longwings. However, when I tried an 8D in the chukkas it was uncomfortable across the vamp, so I went with an 8E and the fit across the vamp was great. I do have some slight heel slip in the chukkas, but it does not bother me and I think it is actually one of my most comfortable shoes I own.

On a side note, when I have purchased barrie lasted boots, I go with an 8.5D and the fit is spot on, and I don't have to overly tighten the laces either. I was swimming in an 8.5D in the chukkas.
post #42278 of 87673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikid View Post

 

 

 

here are a couple... they aren't as noticeable in the picture as in real life but I think you can tell what I am talking about...

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

thanks

 

My whiskey tanker and lwb also have this kind of "black spot" after some wears.

I am not sure if they caught these spots after some wears or the wax covering them got "thinner" and shown the spots that are originally on the shell though.

 

At first it really bothered me but now it doesn't.

post #42279 of 87673
Dear Alden experts,

I have the 911 captoes in 8EEE, they fit me well.

I like these boots made on the same last (Hampton):
http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens-9-eyelet-cap-toe-boot-commando-sole-calfskin-dark-tan/pvc-ald-mxsbd-40721c_ald_m_9_eyelet_cap_toe_boot_commando_sole_calfskin.html

ShoeMart used to offer it in EEE width but it's now out of stock. Before I email them with inquiries re: EEE width, I was wondering, does anybody have experience with shoes and boots on the same last and if there is any difference in fit? Should I just go with the same size or maybe up half a size? (I definitely cannot size down, that would be too narrow, my left foot is actually closer to 4E width.)
post #42280 of 87673
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkpm View Post

My whiskey tanker and lwb also have this kind of "black spot" after some wears.
I am not sure if they caught these spots after some wears or the wax covering them got "thinner" and shown the spots that are originally on the shell though.

At first it really bothered me but now it doesn't.


Shell (beause horses are not harvested for their hides and because it comes from the butt of a work horse) is an imperfect material. The closer the colors are to the natural color of the shell, the more likely you are to see the blemishes. On some level, the blemishes are part of the beauty of the material.
post #42281 of 87673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashiwa View Post

Lakota House nailed this one.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

 

 



http://www.lakota.co.jp/updates/index.php?ID=5140

 

I just browsed the Lakota House site for fun to see what they had.  As we know, Aldens are really expensive in Japan (I guess all shoes might be now), but I was shocked at the page that listed prices for repair work.  One example listed was "double-leather sole", and at the current exchange, it was about $260!  I'm not sure what it included, whether it was a full recraft or what. But jeez, $260?? 

post #42282 of 87673
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7 View Post

Just to chime in on this. In terms of sizing, I think you and I are similar.

I wear an 8D in barrie lasted ptbs and longwings. However, when I tried an 8D in the chukkas it was uncomfortable across the vamp, so I went with an 8E and the fit across the vamp was great. I do have some slight heel slip in the chukkas, but it does not bother me and I think it is actually one of my most comfortable shoes I own.

On a side note, when I have purchased barrie lasted boots, I go with an 8.5D and the fit is spot on, and I don't have to overly tighten the laces either. I was swimming in an 8.5D in the chukkas.

Thank you very much for your response. It is such a tough call. I just put my 8D #8 Barrie wingtip boots back on and they were noticeably tighter across the vamp than these. However I am wearing one of my thicker pair of socks today and the chukkas are right on the verge of being too lose. Will be a tough call...
post #42283 of 87673

They pay well in Japan and I believe their prices reflect the equivalent of the European VAT (i.e. sales tax).

post #42284 of 87673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikid View Post

A question for anyone nice enough to answer.
On my whiskey shells, I get black coloring on spots on shoe...heel from driving.... on toe and other areas after vigorous brushing (using the Mac Method, always).
Is that normal?  is there a way to prevent it or is it part of the process of the shell aging and gaining a patina?
thanks in advance for any advice....

nephew,
if the black spots or lines came from the factory and these marks are do the tan processing of the exotic colors. please post picture. can you see the lines or spots six feet from the shoe? as you get closer to the shoe are the spots or lines more apparent
post #42285 of 87673
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7 View Post

A recent acquisition: Whiskey LWB


nephew,
wear in good health your whiskey gunboats
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***