or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2817

post #42241 of 91836
I have been debating about acquiring a chukka boot as well. Once someone posted a picture of a 6 eyelet chukka my mind was set to wait until I could find a pair.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #42242 of 91836
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

So typically I have always thought myself an 8D on the Barrie last. When I was in New York recently I was told to try an 8E. I have an 8E Cigar Chukka here (LOVE this boot) and I am unsure of the fit. The shoe itself fits well across the vamp however I am getting a good amount of heel slip. I am unsure as to if the width is contributing to this or it is more a function of the 2 eyelet chukka? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Just to chime in on this. In terms of sizing, I think you and I are similar.

I wear an 8D in barrie lasted ptbs and longwings. However, when I tried an 8D in the chukkas it was uncomfortable across the vamp, so I went with an 8E and the fit across the vamp was great. I do have some slight heel slip in the chukkas, but it does not bother me and I think it is actually one of my most comfortable shoes I own.

On a side note, when I have purchased barrie lasted boots, I go with an 8.5D and the fit is spot on, and I don't have to overly tighten the laces either. I was swimming in an 8.5D in the chukkas.
post #42243 of 91836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikid View Post

 

 

 

here are a couple... they aren't as noticeable in the picture as in real life but I think you can tell what I am talking about...

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

thanks

 

My whiskey tanker and lwb also have this kind of "black spot" after some wears.

I am not sure if they caught these spots after some wears or the wax covering them got "thinner" and shown the spots that are originally on the shell though.

 

At first it really bothered me but now it doesn't.

post #42244 of 91836
Dear Alden experts,

I have the 911 captoes in 8EEE, they fit me well.

I like these boots made on the same last (Hampton):
http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens-9-eyelet-cap-toe-boot-commando-sole-calfskin-dark-tan/pvc-ald-mxsbd-40721c_ald_m_9_eyelet_cap_toe_boot_commando_sole_calfskin.html

ShoeMart used to offer it in EEE width but it's now out of stock. Before I email them with inquiries re: EEE width, I was wondering, does anybody have experience with shoes and boots on the same last and if there is any difference in fit? Should I just go with the same size or maybe up half a size? (I definitely cannot size down, that would be too narrow, my left foot is actually closer to 4E width.)
post #42245 of 91836
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkpm View Post

My whiskey tanker and lwb also have this kind of "black spot" after some wears.
I am not sure if they caught these spots after some wears or the wax covering them got "thinner" and shown the spots that are originally on the shell though.

At first it really bothered me but now it doesn't.


Shell (beause horses are not harvested for their hides and because it comes from the butt of a work horse) is an imperfect material. The closer the colors are to the natural color of the shell, the more likely you are to see the blemishes. On some level, the blemishes are part of the beauty of the material.
post #42246 of 91836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashiwa View Post

Lakota House nailed this one.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

 

 



http://www.lakota.co.jp/updates/index.php?ID=5140

 

I just browsed the Lakota House site for fun to see what they had.  As we know, Aldens are really expensive in Japan (I guess all shoes might be now), but I was shocked at the page that listed prices for repair work.  One example listed was "double-leather sole", and at the current exchange, it was about $260!  I'm not sure what it included, whether it was a full recraft or what. But jeez, $260?? 

post #42247 of 91836
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7 View Post

Just to chime in on this. In terms of sizing, I think you and I are similar.

I wear an 8D in barrie lasted ptbs and longwings. However, when I tried an 8D in the chukkas it was uncomfortable across the vamp, so I went with an 8E and the fit across the vamp was great. I do have some slight heel slip in the chukkas, but it does not bother me and I think it is actually one of my most comfortable shoes I own.

On a side note, when I have purchased barrie lasted boots, I go with an 8.5D and the fit is spot on, and I don't have to overly tighten the laces either. I was swimming in an 8.5D in the chukkas.

Thank you very much for your response. It is such a tough call. I just put my 8D #8 Barrie wingtip boots back on and they were noticeably tighter across the vamp than these. However I am wearing one of my thicker pair of socks today and the chukkas are right on the verge of being too lose. Will be a tough call...
post #42248 of 91836

They pay well in Japan and I believe their prices reflect the equivalent of the European VAT (i.e. sales tax).

post #42249 of 91836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikid View Post

A question for anyone nice enough to answer.
On my whiskey shells, I get black coloring on spots on shoe...heel from driving.... on toe and other areas after vigorous brushing (using the Mac Method, always).
Is that normal?  is there a way to prevent it or is it part of the process of the shell aging and gaining a patina?
thanks in advance for any advice....

nephew,
if the black spots or lines came from the factory and these marks are do the tan processing of the exotic colors. please post picture. can you see the lines or spots six feet from the shoe? as you get closer to the shoe are the spots or lines more apparent
post #42250 of 91836
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7 View Post

A recent acquisition: Whiskey LWB


nephew,
wear in good health your whiskey gunboats
post #42251 of 91836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikid View Post



here are a couple... they aren't as noticeable in the picture as in real life but I think you can tell what I am talking about...






thanks

nephew,
the pictures have provided the answer-it is from the tanning process and there is nothing you can do about it except enjoy wearing, they are good looking
post #42252 of 91836
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

So typically I have always thought myself an 8D on the Barrie last. When I was in New York recently I was told to try an 8E. I have an 8E Cigar Chukka here (LOVE this boot) and I am unsure of the fit. The shoe itself fits well across the vamp however I am getting a good amount of heel slip. I am unsure as to if the width is contributing to this or it is more a function of the 2 eyelet chukka? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

nephew,
from my experience, the two eyelet chukkas never fit properly, i tried various sizes and always felt the chukkas was slipping on my feet. i switched to the six eyelet chukkas and i have not had this problem
post #42253 of 91836
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

They pay well in Japan and I believe their prices reflect the equivalent of the European VAT (i.e. sales tax).

nephew,
japan has a 20% tariff on leather goods.
post #42254 of 91836

Thank you, Uncle.  I suspected as much.

post #42255 of 91836
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Thank you very much for your response. It is such a tough call. I just put my 8D #8 Barrie wingtip boots back on and they were noticeably tighter across the vamp than these. However I am wearing one of my thicker pair of socks today and the chukkas are right on the verge of being too lose. Will be a tough call...

I totally understand. As many on this forum have learned, trial and error seems to be a fairly common approach to Alden shoes. Uncle Mac, who has been buying these shoes for many years, has dealt with this issue himself with his two-eyelet chukkas and I am assuming other shoes as well. Also, as some on the forum have mentioned, shoes that are the same size and same last can fit differently.

Since you have worn them already I would suggest wearing them around the house for a week or so just to give them more time and if you still aren't convinced, then you probably never will be and selling them would be your best option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

nephew,
wear in good health your whiskey gunboats

Thanks Uncle Mac. Whiskey has fast become my favorite Alden shell color. With time it gains more of a ravello characteristic and I find that it looks much better in person than it does in photos. Not to mention, it is never a bad day for whiskey!

Also, I thought I would share a photo I came across. Looks to me like there is a lot of Alden love coming from these guys. Looks like there are some color 8 boots, color 8 ptbs, whiskey longwings, and some black shell worn by the other gentleman.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***