or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2784

post #41746 of 98967

Whiskey LWB's today

 

post #41747 of 98967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post


I am in that camp as well. To me the NST is a weekend shoe - or very casual business dress shoe. I, too, think this is a personal thing. I struggle wearing bluchers with suits - though this is very common in Austria and Germany.

I would like to see Alden do a medallion shell cap on the Aberdeen, but I might be the only one.

This is interesting. If I owned a #8 NST shoe, I would not wear it with a suit, but would certainly wear it with a sport coat, especially on the Aberdeen last.
post #41748 of 98967
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

 

That is definitely a considerate thing to do.  This begs the question though... How many times have you ended up deciding that the shoes weren't a perfect fit after you bought them and wore them around your house for a while, when you may have otherwise figured it out in the store beforehand?

Personally, never.

 

When I was figuring out my Van size I had to send 2 pairs back before I arrived at the correct size, but I sent them back with no sign of try on.  I didn't have the opportunity to try them on the store, however I already owned a pair of the unlined LHS in my true size, so that was what I ordered initially.  (Then down .5, before arriving at down .5 and a width)

 

I understand what you are saying though, and I don't expect people to keep shoes that don't fit just because they have taken a few steps in them on carpet.  However, I suspect that some people may abuse the return policy.

 

The point of my post was not to scold those folks.  Someone asked if anyone had experience returning a pair after implementing the Mac Break-in method, so I shared my anecdote to show that it seems to be possible.

post #41749 of 98967

I have worn my Black Calf NST's with a dark suit before....

post #41750 of 98967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

This is interesting. If I owned a #8 NST shoe, I would not wear it with a suit, but would certainly wear it with a sport coat, especially on the Aberdeen last.

PD - I have worn mine with a jacket and tie, but I think about it as a weekend or country shoe. Call me old fahioned. I am a little older than most of the guys here.
post #41751 of 98967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post

PD - I have worn mine with a jacket and tie, but I think about it as a weekend or country shoe. Call me old fahioned. I am a little older than most of the guys here.

Fair enough. I certainly get that it's a casual style, though I see the NST as equivalent to a LWB in formality. Others may disagree.
post #41752 of 98967
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCowperwood View Post

I'm wearing the cigar NST as I type. Picked it with the idea that the #8 is easier to find on a moments notice. My thought is that #8 is more formal as a darker color and with the dark welt and sole edge. Will be interested to see what others think.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

They are both quite versatile, and certainly both look nice, but the color 8 version - darker color, darker edging - is more formal. The color 8 version is much easier to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

The color 8 NST is more formal due to the darker sole. However, if the cigar NST is on aberdeen, it is sleek enough to wear with wool pants and suits IMO.

I, like Frank, have cigar NSTs and I think it is just a cooler shoe than the color 8. I would recommend it to anyone (I also am biased towards cigar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

I agree with the above and think it depends what your style of dress is.  Corporate suit I think #8 works better but some see NST's as not formal enough for a suit.  I disagree and think it works well.  I have Ravello NST's and Cigar are next on my hit list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bespoken pa View Post

Agreed, #8 is much easier to come by. I would advise to go with cigar and pick up the #8 at a later date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

I find that it depends on the last for me.  On some lasts, I end up with a really wicked crease right over the joint of my big toe, and the rest of the shoe stays almost crease free.  I have two pairs where the right shoe had been tried on by someone else before I bought them...  The other person's foot set the creases in the right shoe in the "ideal" location, and then my left foot set them in the annoying place over my left big toe, so the shoes look completely different as far as creases go.  On other lasts, they crease in the "right" location and look the same on both feet.  It is a combination of factors that lead to shoe creasing, so don't over think it. 

Thank you all, much appreciated, is the Aberdeen last true to size?
post #41753 of 98967
After several posts, i think they look the best of jeans compared to a suit
Edited by ndlewis - 1/28/13 at 6:10am
post #41754 of 98967
^ Going going gone, let's see how long this one stays up before the mods get to it.
post #41755 of 98967

Looks like 51 minutes so far  .  .  .  I'll take the over  .  .  .

post #41756 of 98967

already bought/preordered three pairs this month, I need to overlook those 11.5 ravello lwb frown.gif

post #41757 of 98967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Personally, never.

 

When I was figuring out my Van size I had to send 2 pairs back before I arrived at the correct size, but I sent them back with no sign of try on.  I didn't have the opportunity to try them on the store, however I already owned a pair of the unlined LHS in my true size, so that was what I ordered initially.  (Then down .5, before arriving at down .5 and a width)

 

I understand what you are saying though, and I don't expect people to keep shoes that don't fit just because they have taken a few steps in them on carpet.  However, I suspect that some people may abuse the return policy.

 

The point of my post was not to scold those folks.  Someone asked if anyone had experience returning a pair after implementing the Mac Break-in method, so I shared my anecdote to show that it seems to be possible.

 

I definitely believe that people abuse the return policy.  I didn't take your comment to be saying that you were scolding anyone.  I tend to take a middle ground approach, by caring for the shoes in my own home as if the sales associate is watching me before I decide to keep them.  After I decide to keep them, I take pictures for my own records of how they looked when I recieved them, then proceed with conditioning/polishing and wearing. 

post #41758 of 98967
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCowperwood View Post

I'm wearing the cigar NST as I type. Picked it with the idea that the #8 is easier to find on a moments notice. My thought is that #8 is more formal as a darker color and with the dark welt and sole edge. Will be interested to see what others think.


Is this on the Barrie last?
post #41759 of 98967
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitelaw View Post

already bought/preordered three pairs this month, I need to overlook those 11.5 ravello lwb frown.gif


Tempting I know  .  .  .

post #41760 of 98967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

Whiskey LWB's today



gorgeous. makes me re-consider passing up whiskey LWBs all these years.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***