or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2761

post #41401 of 96791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrister View Post

A dreaded sizing question: Should I go down 1/2 size for Tremont?

Some do; some go TTS. Order 2 sizes if ordering online.
post #41402 of 96791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr MikeHockerts View Post

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some help. This thread has been very useful for doing the postmortem on my purchase of some Alden Indy boots (trubalance last?) in cordovan #8 size 12D. There's a lot of great knowledge here. Thank you.  I won't bother to post pics because you know the boots I'm talking about. You've all seen them in this thread.

I am really enjoying the boots BUT I am having problems with breaking them in and this is where I am looking for advice. This is my first pair of shell cordovan footwear so I am not familiar with the break in process or the care although I have read up on it. I didn't really know what I was buying at the time so I guess I'm lucky I ended up with a pair of Aldens. I just thought they were great boots.

I have only worn them for a few hours around town on 3 or 4 occasions now so they are still basically brand new. The leather is starting to form to my foot. The left boot is creasing nicely and it is already very comfortable. Unfortunately, the right boot has creased in such a way that on the left side of the toebox a fold cuts into the tendon on my big toe and on the right side of the toe box it comes down on the knuckle of my 4th toe like a nutcracker. It gives me pretty sharp pain with every single step. My question to you is: Is there anything I can do about it?

I think I know part of the problem. I bought these boots at my favourite little shoe shop in Oslo. Stock is really limited and they were a "display model", the last of the boots, so I got them for a pretty hefty discount compared to regular Norwegian prices. Unfortunately this also meant that the right boot had sat on the shelf for however long with who knows how many people flexing it and squatting and yoga stretching and doing all of the weird things people seem to do when they try on shoes. The left boot was unworn and uncreased. The wear on the right boot was very minor but I think it helped create the creasing that doesn't seem to match the shape of my foot.


I'm also sure the sizing is not perfect. I would probably take an 11.5 or 11 or something going on the advice to "size down" but every other pair of boots I own is a 12 so it can't be that far off. And as I said, the left boot is already pretty comfy after probably 12 hours of wear. It was literally the only pair of Alden boots they had so I didn't have the option to try or buy another size anyway. Exchanging, refunding, resizing, etc. is not an option.


I've considered the "pen method" for creasing but I think it's way beyond that point. Maybe in order to make new creases to combat the old creases?

Should I try to soften or work the leather? The cordovan feels really stiff so maybe just some flexing and forceful massaging will loosen up the offending areas or will this just make the creases deeper and more painful? I have some of that Saphir Renovateur. Will that help to soften the leather if I work it into the creases? I'm hesitant to put much stuff on these boots because I don't want to mess with the finish.


What is your general experience with the duration for breaking in? At this point I am just waiting it out. I figure it take more than 10 or 20 hours of wear to break in a pair of stiff and heavy boots. Should I just wear thick socks and suck it up? I assume they'll get better eventually. 

I'm sure some of you have experienced something similar when buying the "lightly used" boots for sale on here. The creases in the boots fit someone else's feet. 
I really want to love these boots and from the left boot I can see how comfortable they can be. Any advice is appreciated.


Thanks.



Wear a bandaid for a wear or two on your toes where the pain is inflicted and see if that helps as they break-in. Thicker socks may help too.

Right and left shell shoes/boots will not always have the same crease pattern or placement.

I treat nearly all my shell models with reno. It will soften the leather.

Good luck.
post #41403 of 96791
There was a question earlier that got lost in the shuffle: what edge trim do you recommend for antique edges?
post #41404 of 96791
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanford88 View Post

There was a question earlier that got lost in the shuffle: what edge trim do you recommend for antique edges?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF574_1_40000000001_-1

Natural is what is use for small touch ups.
post #41405 of 96791

Stanford,

 

Let us know what you end up using and how well it matches.

post #41406 of 96791
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYGGG View Post

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF574_1_40000000001_-1

Natural is what is use for small touch ups.

I use this on all my antique edge trim an it does great. Haven't found the right color yet for dark edge trim though.
post #41407 of 96791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrister View Post

A dreaded sizing question: Should I go down 1/2 size for Tremont?

I have them on TTS and I need to wear thicker socks, but I don't think a 1/2 size down would have worked for me.
post #41408 of 96791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr MikeHockerts View Post

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some help. This thread has been very useful for doing the postmortem on my purchase of some Alden Indy boots (trubalance last?) in cordovan #8 size 12D. There's a lot of great knowledge here. Thank you.  I won't bother to post pics because you know the boots I'm talking about. You've all seen them in this thread.

I am really enjoying the boots BUT I am having problems with breaking them in and this is where I am looking for advice. This is my first pair of shell cordovan footwear so I am not familiar with the break in process or the care although I have read up on it. I didn't really know what I was buying at the time so I guess I'm lucky I ended up with a pair of Aldens. I just thought they were great boots.

I have only worn them for a few hours around town on 3 or 4 occasions now so they are still basically brand new. The leather is starting to form to my foot. The left boot is creasing nicely and it is already very comfortable. Unfortunately, the right boot has creased in such a way that on the left side of the toebox a fold cuts into the tendon on my big toe and on the right side of the toe box it comes down on the knuckle of my 4th toe like a nutcracker. It gives me pretty sharp pain with every single step. My question to you is: Is there anything I can do about it?

I think I know part of the problem. I bought these boots at my favourite little shoe shop in Oslo. Stock is really limited and they were a "display model", the last of the boots, so I got them for a pretty hefty discount compared to regular Norwegian prices. Unfortunately this also meant that the right boot had sat on the shelf for however long with who knows how many people flexing it and squatting and yoga stretching and doing all of the weird things people seem to do when they try on shoes. The left boot was unworn and uncreased. The wear on the right boot was very minor but I think it helped create the creasing that doesn't seem to match the shape of my foot.


I'm also sure the sizing is not perfect. I would probably take an 11.5 or 11 or something going on the advice to "size down" but every other pair of boots I own is a 12 so it can't be that far off. And as I said, the left boot is already pretty comfy after probably 12 hours of wear. It was literally the only pair of Alden boots they had so I didn't have the option to try or buy another size anyway. Exchanging, refunding, resizing, etc. is not an option.


I've considered the "pen method" for creasing but I think it's way beyond that point. Maybe in order to make new creases to combat the old creases?

Should I try to soften or work the leather? The cordovan feels really stiff so maybe just some flexing and forceful massaging will loosen up the offending areas or will this just make the creases deeper and more painful? I have some of that Saphir Renovateur. Will that help to soften the leather if I work it into the creases? I'm hesitant to put much stuff on these boots because I don't want to mess with the finish.


What is your general experience with the duration for breaking in? At this point I am just waiting it out. I figure it take more than 10 or 20 hours of wear to break in a pair of stiff and heavy boots. Should I just wear thick socks and suck it up? I assume they'll get better eventually. 

I'm sure some of you have experienced something similar when buying the "lightly used" boots for sale on here. The creases in the boots fit someone else's feet. 
I really want to love these boots and from the left boot I can see how comfortable they can be. Any advice is appreciated.


Thanks.


I would cut a circle of cardboard and place it on top of your foot. That will help with the irritation. You can either put the cardboard on top or below your sock. Wear them a few times. Eventually the leather will stop bitting in. A bandaid prolly won't help since it's so small/thin.
post #41409 of 96791
What does everyone use to treat/protect their suede shoes? Spray brand and formula? The last bottle I used was from Nordstroms and it did a fine job, its not readily available though so I'm looking for any recommendations. I am looking to treat the shoes for protection/mild water and dust resistance.
post #41410 of 96791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post

I would cut a circle of cardboard and place it on top of your foot. That will help with the irritation. You can either put the cardboard on top or below your sock. Wear them a few times. Eventually the leather will stop bitting in. A bandaid prolly won't help since it's so small/thin.

That's what moleskin is for. You are right about Band aids as they may be too thin to help. Moleskin's been recommended for hiking boots forever to help with hot spots.
post #41411 of 96791
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_b View Post


That's what moleskin is for. You are right about Band aids as they may be too thin to help. Moleskin's been recommended for hiking boots forever to help with hot spots.


Agree that moleskin would work on corn/callouses, but there is very little moleskin can do when the leather is digging into the tendon of the big toe.

post #41412 of 96791
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceposey View Post

. Today I actually took my new BFF's outside for a walk. Did I say I live in Minnesota. OMG! Any thoughts on heel and toe taps. Either or both. Plastic vs. metal. Much appreciated. Here's a pic of the poor little dears.


Pretty much identical post to my first Styleforum post about a year ago. After initial alarm at similar wear on my ptb on their maiden voyage in a Boston winter, my shoes have broken in nicely. My advice is to wear and enjoy your stuff (no toe/heel taps) and just get them resoled when the time comes. Shoes look great, by the way!
post #41413 of 96791
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanford88 View Post

There was a question earlier that got lost in the shuffle: what edge trim do you recommend for antique edges?

Thin coat of AE chili.
post #41414 of 96791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post

I would cut a circle of cardboard and place it on top of your foot. That will help with the irritation. You can either put the cardboard on top or below your sock. Wear them a few times. Eventually the leather will stop bitting in. A bandaid prolly won't help since it's so small/thin.

I have used a band-aid before with success, but I suppose it depends on the severity of the pain (in my case, fairly minimal).

Cardboard sounds terrifically uncomfortable, but whatever works ....
post #41415 of 96791
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThArtOfWardrobe View Post

Maiden voyage


wear in good health
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***