or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2756

post #41326 of 87837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

Please post pics when they do. I'm considering the whiskey LHS.




Whiskey LHS

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #41327 of 87837
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post


#8 wt
argyles otc

Splendid - and they are a nice reminder to many on the thread that some of us buy Aldens, at least in part, for business wear. Do you prefer the WT Bal on the Tremont last (factory version) or the Plaza-like M75 last (Alden for BB version)?
post #41328 of 87837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Lee View Post

There's also a 9D barrie last ravello PTB on ebay, not as cheap as the whiskey PTB above but still better than retail. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alden-Ravello-Shell-Cordovan-Plain-Toe-Blucher-Barrie-last-9D-/300848202274?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item460bf34222

That listing would be mine. I bought them from a fellow forum member, but haven't worn them. I tried them on, but didn't even walk in them, because they're *just* a touch long and snug. I took a chance and decided I'd be compromising on fit. I'd be just as happy to end the eBay listing and sell them to someone here far cheaper. Same goes for the other pairs I have listed. eBay's fees are usurious.
post #41329 of 87837




I posted a few weeks back about getting a pair of black shell NST loafers on the Grant last. I actually got two pairs (one black, one #8 w/o the NST), same size, and they fit differently. That's Alden for ya. I returned the black ones, and decided to follow Uncle Mac's suggestion to grab some tassels to wear to work.

Well. I was psyched to find a pair in my size at Shoemart. They arrived today. I tried them on and looked down and thought, hmm, something looks off. The stitching on each shoe didn't look identical - the stitching atop the shoe on my left foot looked farther from the welt than that on the right shoe. So, I measured. The measurement from the top of the welt to the outside of the stitching on the top of the left shoe: 2 1/4 inches; the same measurement on the right shoe: 2 inches. Argh. It's only a quarter inch, but I noticed. Am I being too exacting here? For full retail, I'd like the shoes to be perfect (or at least as close to perfect as Alden ever gets).

I think I am simply destined not to have a black shell loafer that fits, which irks me.
post #41330 of 87837

^Send them back, it will bother you every time you wear them.

post #41331 of 87837
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post





I posted a few weeks back about getting a pair of black shell NST loafers on the Grant last. I actually got two pairs (one black, one #8 w/o the NST), same size, and they fit differently. That's Alden for ya. I returned the black ones, and decided to follow Uncle Mac's suggestion to grab some tassels to wear to work.

Well. I was psyched to find a pair in my size at Shoemart. They arrived today. I tried them on and looked down and thought, hmm, something looks off. The stitching on each shoe didn't look identical - the stitching atop the shoe on my left foot looked farther from the welt than that on the right shoe. So, I measured. The measurement from the top of the welt to the outside of the stitching on the top of the left shoe: 2 1/4 inches; the same measurement on the right shoe: 2 inches. Argh. It's only a quarter inch, but I noticed. Am I being too exacting here? For full retail, I'd like the shoes to be perfect (or at least as close to perfect as Alden ever gets).

I think I am simply destined not to have a black shell loafer that fits, which irks me.

Return then and ask the Shoe Mart (or another retailer) for another pair, black shell loafers are readily available
post #41332 of 87837
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

I believe we have a standing agreement in place to agree to disagree. fistbump.gif

If the guys with the two largest Alden collections on this thread don't agree on this, then perhaps I won't sweat the decision too much, but I've been going back and forth between ravello LHS and whiskey PTB versus whiskey LHS and ravello PTB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYGGG View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Whiskey LHS

These look great.
post #41333 of 87837
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post

[IMG ALT=""]I posted a few weeks back about getting a pair of black shell NST loafers on the Grant last. I actually got two pairs (one black, one #8 w/o the NST), same size, and they fit differently. That's Alden for ya.

I was told NSTs fit narrower than non NST
post #41334 of 87837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

^Send them back, it will bother you every time you wear them.

Thanks, I agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Return then and ask the Shoe Mart (or another retailer) for another pair, black shell loafers are readily available

Finding the tassel in 8.5EEE on Aberdeen has been hard. Any suggestions you guys have would be welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scb View Post

I was told NSTs fit narrower than non NST

What's weird is the black shell NST was sliding off my foot. It fit wider than the non-NST. And I have the NST loafer on grant in #8 and it's my favorite shoe. Alden's so inconsistent.
post #41335 of 87837
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post

Thanks, I agree.
Finding the tassel in 8.5EEE on Aberdeen has been hard. Any suggestions you guys have would be welcome.
What's weird is the black shell NST was sliding off my foot. It fit wider than the non-NST. And I have the NST loafer on grant in #8 and it's my favorite shoe. Alden's so inconsistent.

EEE is hard, but Alden Madison seems to stock EE pretty readily - try a 9EE maybe?
post #41336 of 87837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

EEE is hard, but Alden Madison seems to stock EE pretty readily - try a 9EE maybe?

The problem for me is width. 9EE on the Aberdeen would be too long. But Madison is a good suggestion - they have been able to fit me there in the past.
post #41337 of 87837
If anyone is interested I have a Jcrew (Alden Natural WT Boot in 11.5D) Brand New . Also know as a Brixton boot, the one that Epaulet sells only this has the mini lug sole from Alden.
post #41338 of 87837
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

I'm jealous  .  .  .  of your socks!!!!!

+1. Dude needs new jeans to go with those 600 dollar shoes.
post #41339 of 87837
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

Happy Friday. Cigar Indys. With flash and without flash.


Epaulet version. Creme de la creme.
post #41340 of 87837
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post



I posted a few weeks back about getting a pair of black shell NST loafers on the Grant last. I actually got two pairs (one black, one #8 w/o the NST), same size, and they fit differently. That's Alden for ya. I returned the black ones, and decided to follow Uncle Mac's suggestion to grab some tassels to wear to work.

Well. I was psyched to find a pair in my size at Shoemart. They arrived today. I tried them on and looked down and thought, hmm, something looks off. The stitching on each shoe didn't look identical - the stitching atop the shoe on my left foot looked farther from the welt than that on the right shoe. So, I measured. The measurement from the top of the welt to the outside of the stitching on the top of the left shoe: 2 1/4 inches; the same measurement on the right shoe: 2 inches. Argh. It's only a quarter inch, but I noticed. Am I being too exacting here? For full retail, I'd like the shoes to be perfect (or at least as close to perfect as Alden ever gets).

I think I am simply destined not to have a black shell loafer that fits, which irks me.


I have experienced the same problem with loafers I have received as well and ended up returning them. A quarter inch is a huge difference on a shoe and as the owner, your eye always goes right to it and becomes quite annoying.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***