or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2743

post #41131 of 90227
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chorizo View Post

-1 for granny knots

Whatever wink.gif

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #41132 of 90227
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

Good to read this. Disaster averted.

Also:

AppleMark

My Cigar/Ravello hybrid.

Wow

post #41133 of 90227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund K View Post

Horsemeat in Tesco burgers prompts apology in UK papers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21054688

This is horrible.  Can someone tell me if Horween is killing horses to get Cordovan leather?  Is it illegal to consume horsemeat in the US?    

It is illegal to slaughter horses for meat in the US, but not illegal to consume horsemeat. It is legal to eat horse in a lot of Europe. A lot of Horween shell, as I understand it, is a byproduct of that.

FWIW I'd argue that the thoroughbred horseracing industry (popular here in the US) is a lot more inhumane to horses, but this thread is probably not the place for all that

Horse meat some come with a sort of stigma in the US, but in Europe, especially France it's eaten quite often. If I'm not mistaken, Horween's horse hides come directly from France, and are only taken from work horses that are used for the meat market. They don't use horses that are bred in cages like chickens, otherwise I could imagine that the cordovan would have a much worse quality if the horses weren't healthy.

post #41134 of 90227
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


Pebblegrain has a wonderful avatar. I've had nightmares about that ESPN clown, Merril Hoge, and his tie length. That he can shed his suit coat and expose said tie length with a straight face is a true testament to how curiously absurd this guy dresses. And don't even get me started on his fist-sized tie knots. biggrin.gif

Man you have me laughing.  I'm glad I'm not the only person who tends to judge people based on not hewing to what I consider my rules of dress.  

 

It helps that he is a clown in so many ways.  

post #41135 of 90227
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

Good to read this. Disaster averted.

Also:

AppleMark

My Cigar/Ravello hybrid.

post #41136 of 90227
I'm pretty sure alot of the horse butts come from up here in Canada and not so much France. It's leagal to sell horse meat up here (as far as I know).

I've also heard that the horses are not slimply used just for the shell; that they are old work horses that die of old age/sickness... afaik
post #41137 of 90227
I always wondered about AE's one piece shell belts. I saw a one pc burgundy shell belt at an outlet once in a size 42. I'd guess they are simply horsehide or a combination or the shell and surrounding tissue. Pure speculation of course.
post #41138 of 90227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post


It is illegal to slaughter horses for meat in the US, but not illegal to consume horsemeat. It is legal to eat horse in a lot of Europe. A lot of Horween shell, as I understand it, is a byproduct of that.

FWIW I'd argue that the thoroughbred horseracing industry (popular here in the US) is a lot more inhumane to horses, but this thread is probably not the place for all that

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Lee View Post

Horse meat some come with a sort of stigma in the US, but in Europe, especially France it's eaten quite often. If I'm not mistaken, Horween's horse hides come directly from France, and are only taken from work horses that are used for the meat market. They don't use horses that are bred in cages like chickens, otherwise I could imagine that the cordovan would have a much worse quality if the horses weren't healthy.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar View Post

I'm pretty sure alot of the horse butts come from up here in Canada and not so much France. It's leagal to sell horse meat up here (as far as I know).

I've also heard that the horses are not slimply used just for the shell; that they are old work horses that die of old age/sickness... afaik

 

This is all correct.  Not trying to invite a lashing here from any activists, but lets be honest here... I love horses as much as the next guy, but in the end there isn't any reason they can't be eaten just like cows, chickens, or any of the other dozens of animals people use as food.  Meat is meat as long as you like the unique taste of the particular animal.  Horses have other uses as well (hooves are used to make glue for example), and the rest of the hide (non-shell parts) is used for other types of leather products.  As long as they are treated humanely, use them for work, recreation, food, etc., and then when they die, use them to make useful products. 

post #41139 of 90227

debating if I should go 404 or 405 for my first Indy boot, any opinions?

 

thanks

post #41140 of 90227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund K View Post

Horsemeat in Tesco burgers prompts apology in UK papers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21054688

This is horrible.  Can someone tell me if Horween is killing horses to get Cordovan leather?  Is it illegal to consume horsemeat in the US?    

It is illegal to slaughter horses for meat in the US, but not illegal to consume horsemeat. It is legal to eat horse in a lot of Europe. A lot of Horween shell, as I understand it, is a byproduct of that.

FWIW I'd argue that the thoroughbred horseracing industry (popular here in the US) is a lot more inhumane to horses, but this thread is probably not the place for all that

Actually the horse slaughter ban in the USA was lifted in late 2011.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/11/horse-slaughterhouses-may-reopen-after-five-year-ban/
post #41141 of 90227

Hello Guys, Sorry to bother you with a usual sizing problem, but here it is.

Living in France, I have access to very few alden Sizes and lasts, so I'd appreciate your help. I'm considering either a captoe boot or LWB.

Here is what I've tried so far :

  • size 10 B/D on Copley last : overall length, but way too tigh on both foot sides
  • size 10 B/D on Grant last : overall length OK, ball width quite fine, but a bit tight at the external little toes

 

Having a quite (but not too much) flat and wide foot, my question is as follows :

  • May a 10 C/E be enough to get this extra toe room on Grant, or should I go 10.5 B/D ?
  • Same for Barrie (10D enough as it may be rounder ? 10E ? 10.5D) ?

 

For example, in other brands, lasts I feel extremely comfortable in are C&J 325 last, Tricker's 4444, and Carmina Rain for dress shoes (any of them in 9.5 UK)

 

Again, sorry for the crappy question smile.gif

post #41142 of 90227
No matter what else I put on my feet or the other options I have in my closet, nothing seems to beat the the comfort of my All Weather Walkers.


post #41143 of 90227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

Here.

just a PSA-
if you're looking to pre-order this shoe from LS- LS #8 Shortwing, I have a pair from their last order of these for sale- BNIB 11.5D Barrie. $550 shipped in US. Take the $115 discount and immediate gratification nod[1].gif lead time can be 1-2 years, or less. PM me. Apologies if this is perceived as anything other than trying to share the love.

best,
Scott
post #41144 of 90227
AppleMark

Cigar captoes on Grant last. Commando soles will come in handy on what is threatening to be a snowy day in Charm City,
post #41145 of 90227
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post

AppleMark

Cigar captoes on Grant last. Commando soles will come in handy on what is threatening to be a snowy day in Charm City,


I miss Charm City, but not its cold, wet winter weather...  go Ravens!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***