or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2732

post #40966 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100 yrs View Post

thanks for the input everyone. i think i'll go try on some park ave's and see what those are like. i've got a bit to decide.

You might consider these shell plain toe balmorals on the plaza last.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #40967 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCowperwood View Post

^^That does sound like a nice pair of Aldens, and something of an unusual makeup. Should wear well and I'm sure they'll look great in the wild.

Did you get them at the overstock pricing?

I did yeah, $465, but the barrie version is $510. My only other pair of Aldens are the j.crew #8 cap toe (barrie), so I just went a half size up for these. I wanted something less dressy for my 2nd pair and these definitely fit the bill and will go with my non-work attire better. Commando sole was a big part of the decision too. 

post #40968 of 91661
I was looking at that boot also. How is the leydon last? Thanks
post #40969 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicycho View Post

I did yeah, $465, but the barrie version is $510. My only other pair of Aldens are the j.crew #8 cap toe (barrie), so I just went a half size up for these. I wanted something less dressy for my 2nd pair and these definitely fit the bill and will go with my non-work attire better. Commando sole was a big part of the decision too. 

I think you'll like the commando sole. I have really just started wearing it and I think it is great.
post #40970 of 91661
post #40971 of 91661

Another difficult sizing question:

 

9C Van & 9D Aberdeen fit like a glove all around.

 

Tried on a 9D Hampton today, and it seems like it will work, but it didn't fit like a glove all around.  Seemed like there was a little space, but not sloppy.  Ralph at Alden Madison said if I went 9C it would be killing me.

 

I didn't have a chance to try on any other size.  He measured me with the brannock and I told him my size in the other lasts, and he just brought the 9D.

 

Not sure if I should attribute the the inferior fit to the shape of the last not being as conducive to the shape of my feet, or if there is a better size for me.  Also, the Van and Aberdeen are slip-ons, while the Hampton is a lace up.  FWIW I walked around the city all day in some J&M Balmores that are a half size bigger and fit a little looser, and they didn't bother me.

 

Also was wearing VERY thin dress socks, they may have been more snug with dress sock of normal thickness.

 

The Hampton was not as narrow as I would have expected.  When I put on the 9Ds I thought they were 9.5Ds, and when he said they were 9s I thought 9E.

 

Anyone have any constructive thoughts on this?  Should I just go with 9D?

 

Not sure what else I can do as I don't think I'll have a chance to try on any other sizes without buying a pair first.


Edited by Bakes11771 - 1/14/13 at 1:54pm
post #40972 of 91661

anyone other than Alden offering a cigar or ravello belt? 

post #40973 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Another difficult sizing question:

9C Van & 9D Aberdeen fit like a glove all around.

Tried on a 9D Hampton today, and it seems like it will work, but it didn't fit like a glove all around.  Seemed like there was a little space, but not sloppy.  Ralph at Alden Madison said if I went 9C it would be killing me.

I didn't have a chance to try on any other size.  He measured me with the brannock and I told him my size in the other lasts, and he just brought the 9D.

Not sure if I should attribute the the inferior fit to the shape of the last not being as conducive to the shape of my feet, or if there is a better size for me.  Also, the Van and Aberdeen are slip-ons, while the Hampton is a lace up.  FWIW I walked around the city all day in some J&M Balmores that are a half size bigger and fit a little looser, and they didn't bother me.

Also was wearing VERY thin dress socks, they may have been more snug with dress sock of normal thickness.

The Hampton was not as narrow as I would have expected.  When I put on the 9Ds I thought they were 9.5Ds, and when he said they were 9s I thought 9E.

Anyone have any constructive thoughts on this?  Should I just go with 9D?

Not sure what else I can do as I don't think I'll have a chance to try on any other sizes without buying a pair first.

I am the same size in Aberdeen and Hampton. I prefer the Aberdeen. And yes, the fit not being as snug (or as good) certainly could be because the last doesn't 100% agree with your foot.
post #40974 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

You might consider these shell plain toe balmorals on the plaza last.

That may be the perfect shell bal if only it had a captoe. baldy[1].gif

Shell on the plaza last is great - shoe or boot.
post #40975 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrown View Post

I wore Alden black shell captoe bluchers (gasp!) for my wedding. They were my first pair of "nice" shoes and obviously my first Alden. My wallet is still having regrets about the discovery. smile.gif

100 yrs did say he was wearing a charcoal suit, so I think there is a fairly wide range of "appropriate" footwear he can pair with it. The deciding factor should probably be the usefulness of the shoe in everyday life post-wedding. I would personally not go with a plain toe balmoral, as it falls short on this front.

+1

I used to own the black shell plaintoe bal. I got rid of it for lack of use. I much prefer a shell cap toe bal (straight tip or perf tip) for business wear. I also very much like the black shell captoe blucher. nod[1].gif
post #40976 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

You might consider these shell plain toe balmorals on the plaza last.

That may be the perfect shell bal if only it had a captoe. baldy[1].gif

Shell on the plaza last is great - shoe or boot.


Sounds like you're talking about the attorney shoe if you don't mind the perferated cap toe.

post #40977 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvc44 View Post

I was looking at that boot also. How is the leydon last? Thanks

From what I've heard it's comparable to the barrie but slightly narrower.

post #40978 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post


Sounds like you're talking about the attorney shoe if you don't mind the perferated cap toe.

I have the black shell captoe bal (perf tip) on the Snap (Alden for BB). A great shoe in its own right. I have the color 8 shell captoe bal (straight tip) on the Hampton. In a perfect world, said color 8 shoe would be on the Plaza. biggrin.gif
post #40979 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvc44 View Post

I was looking at that boot also. How is the leydon last? Thanks

Probably my least favorite last.
post #40980 of 91661
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


I am the same size in Aberdeen and Hampton. I prefer the Aberdeen. And yes, the fit not being as snug (or as good) certainly could be because the last doesn't 100% agree with your foot.

 

Thank you Seven,  that was the kind of reassurance that I was hoping for.

 

Even since I stepped in to the world of Alden I have developed "Shoe Fit Paranoia".  Meaning I'm never confident that my shoes fit as well as the should/could.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***