or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2657

post #39841 of 79343
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post


#8 lhs
marcoliani cashmere

Those look cigar-ish to me. Do they have heavy brown tones?

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #39842 of 79343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Haines View Post


Well my Mother inlaw wants to buy me a pair of shoes for Christmas I posted earlier the Cromexcel LWB. So now I am trying to decide
between these two. What to do? I already have all colors covered so that does not help. Any thoughts from the crowd

what an awesome mother-in-law. mine is awesome too, but i think she would flip if she found out how much aldens go for.

post #39843 of 79343
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


Those look cigar-ish to me. Do they have heavy brown tones?


they look like well-aged color 8, which from some other photos i've seen assumes a cigar hue..

post #39844 of 79343
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqroot3 View Post

what an awesome mother-in-law. mine is awesome too, but i think she would flip if she found out how much aldens go for.

For Michael Haines: Go tan calf - for me it's not even close.
post #39845 of 79343
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqroot3 View Post


they look like well-aged color 8, which from some other photos i've seen assumes a cigar hue..

They are well-aged no doubt; however, i have plenty of well-aged color 8 models that don't have cigar hues. But certainly some do ...
post #39846 of 79343

My first pair of shells...Ravello PTB's

 

700

post #39847 of 79343

I know this may not be the place to ask this, but I trust the followers of this thread more than others when it comes to shell offerings, so forgive me if I have crossed a line.

 

Do any of you own Carmina shells (or non-shell)?  What is your opinion of the comfort and construction.  I've come across a shell Fitzgerald which is comparable to the Barrie last at least according to Epaulet's website and was wondering.  Is the extra cost worth the difference?  Is their quality along the lines of the C&J, RL-Marlow?  Other threads can be pretty harsh to Alden, and I just wanted to hear some feedback from other Alden enthusiasts who may have Carmina also.

 

Thank you in advance!

post #39848 of 79343
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post

I know this may not be the place to ask this, but I trust the followers of this thread more than others when it comes to shell offerings, so forgive me if I have crossed a line.

Do any of you own Carmina shells (or non-shell)?  What is your opinion of the comfort and construction.  I've come across a shell Fitzgerald which is comparable to the Barrie last at least according to Epaulet's website and was wondering.  Is the extra cost worth the difference?  Is their quality along the lines of the C&J, RL-Marlow?  Other threads can be pretty harsh to Alden, and I just wanted to hear some feedback from other Alden enthusiasts who may have Carmina also.

Thank you in advance!

I've got a couple pairs of Carmina shells and I'm not 100% convinced the premium over Alden is worth it. But, they were Ruby shell and where else you going to find Ruby shell? No question that their finishing is superior to Alden though.
They seem comparable to C&J/AS; maybe better.
post #39849 of 79343
So the redrafting reduced the size? By how much?
post #39850 of 79343
^ReppTiePrepster: Whether the premium is worth it or not is going to be a personal decision. One consideration is that the Fitzgerald is offered in the equivalent of exotic colors (essentially Cigar and Whiskey), so a similar Alden makeup is likely to sell at a premium to #8 or black shell and be hard to acquire. The Forest last is very nice, though different from anything Alden offers. It is perhaps most similar in fit and style to the Aberdeen, IMO. The shell is Horween, of course, and the finish on Carmina shoes is very high quality. I don't own any CJ or AS, so can't compare.

I can recommend Epaulet very highly. The company is a pleasure to deal with and makes great efforts to offer unique makeups and to build short-run MTOs based on what customers want. You can special order your size and even a wide fitting in the Forest last. This is true even in their exotic shells. So if the style and the fit suit you, then I think both Carmina itself and Epaulet offer good value for the premium cost. I'm not going to say the shoes are better than Alden since I find much of the insistence on the superiority of one brand over another rather silly. We all love Alden here for what it is. I also enjoy Carmina for what it is. I'd say try a pair and see what you think for yourself.
post #39851 of 79343
Alden is the king of sophisticasual boots. The barrie and trubalance lasts are perfect for jeans and streetwear. I find Carmina lasts and styling to be on the dressy side. I wear them more with wool trousers and dress slacks. That's why there is a large thread on the MC side for Carmina.
post #39852 of 79343
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

Those look cigar-ish to me. Do they have heavy brown tones?

nephew,
according to my grandchildren they do have heavy brown tones
post #39853 of 79343
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokie3000 View Post

My first pair of shells...Ravello PTB's

700

Well done, one of my favorite. Protect those with some Alden defender.
post #39854 of 79343
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokie3000 View Post

My first pair of shells...Ravello PTB's

700

welcome to the forum, good choice for first shell. remember shell is very addictive
post #39855 of 79343

ravello full strap
argyles otc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***