or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2617

post #39241 of 90184
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

Not Aldens, but those who missed the #4 captoes might want to check these out from Epaulet.
http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1984/%27Bradbury-Perforated-Captoe-Boot/Detail

Horween color #2, very nice.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #39242 of 90184
Gentleman,

Am I going nuts? Today, remember seeing a tan shortwing like the 966 except with brass eyelets. I cannot seem to find it again, so perhaps I was imagining it?

Help is appreciated!

Todd Vanderbilt
post #39243 of 90184
^ Not sure about the shortwing part, but Frans Boone has an Alden tan longwing with brass eyelets. Epaulet also has a similar pair of Carmina longwings. I don't recall ever seeing anyone doing the 966 with brass eyelets, but it actually sounds like a nice make-up.
post #39244 of 90184
Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post

i really need something with a commando/lugged sole for the snow when i go to sweden next week. the only thing available seems to be the Kudu, but the vibram seems a bit too rugged for me, or the chamois from shoemart. anyone have experience with a chamois indy boot? how do you treat it? durability in the wet?

 

I have the reverse chamois indy.  I love it, have worn it in the rain quite a few times, no problems at all.  just brush it when needed, but have done nothing else.

 

Wore it into the Alden DC store a few weeks ago and the saleswoman actually thought it was the kudu.  It has a similar feel but is a bit lighter brown.  The chamois not reversed is very different, however.  

post #39245 of 90184
Quote:
Originally Posted by REguy View Post

^ Not sure about the shortwing part, but Frans Boone has an Alden tan longwing with brass eyelets. Epaulet also has a similar pair of Carmina longwings. I don't recall ever seeing anyone doing the 966 with brass eyelets, but it actually sounds like a nice make-up.

Thanks, it must have been the Frans Boone. I like the brass eyelets on many of their makeups. I suppose they could be added to the 966 easily enough...
Edited by Todd V - 12/14/12 at 6:13am
post #39246 of 90184

next purchase will likely be a black shell boot. who's offering the 'nicest' makeup currently, no indy...

 

thanks in advance

post #39247 of 90184
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitelaw View Post

next purchase will likely be a black shell boot. who's offering the 'nicest' makeup currently, no indy...

 

thanks in advance

J.Gilbert has a nice medallion toe boot, plaza last I believe; an interesting alternative to the cap toe (which is another option).

post #39248 of 90184
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

Not Aldens, but those who missed the #4 captoes might want to check these out from Epaulet.
http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1984/%27Bradbury-Perforated-Captoe-Boot/Detail Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Ok but doesn't that belong in the Carmina thread?
post #39249 of 90184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post

Ok but doesn't that belong in the Carmina thread?

is your avatar wearing a thinking cap?
post #39250 of 90184
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitelaw View Post

next purchase will likely be a black shell boot. who's offering the 'nicest' makeup currently, no indy...

 

thanks in advance

black shell... plain toe... plaza... commando sole... mirite?

 

This j gilbert makeup but in black

 

post #39251 of 90184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post

[/SPOILER]
Ok but doesn't that belong in the Carmina thread?

No. He is mentioning a nice alternative to people who missed out on the very limited #4 captoe availability and who may be interested. If it was in the Carmina thread, some people here interested in a similar makeup could miss out.
post #39252 of 90184
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

is your avatar wearing a thinking cap?

LOL. I don't know how to answer that one. Sorry, I understand many people here are fans of Carmina, but I am . . . not so much. If they don't have a recraft service I can't take them seriously. Thinking cap screwed tightly on head. (Maybe more like and aluminum shield.)
post #39253 of 90184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post

LOL. I don't know how to answer that one. Sorry, I understand many people here are fans of Carmina, but I am . . . not so much. If they don't have a recraft service I can't take them seriously. Thinking cap screwed tightly on head. (Maybe more like and aluminum shield.)

on a serious note, who is that in your avatar? cant tell if its early 20th century persian or late 19th century russian/slavic
post #39254 of 90184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post

LOL. I don't know how to answer that one. Sorry, I understand many people here are fans of Carmina, but I am . . . not so much. If they don't have a recraft service I can't take them seriously. Thinking cap screwed tightly on head. (Maybe more like and aluminum shield.)

With apologies for continuing this thread derailment, Carmina can be recrafted by any competent cobbler. For example, I'd imagine B. Nelson could and likely has worked with them. Given what we've heard about he state of Alden's recrafting services currently, I'm not sure they have much on Carmina there. Whether the shoes suit aesthetically or not is a totally different question and one that I'll never argue. Everyone is welcome to enjoy the shoe's he likes best in my book.
post #39255 of 90184
From time to time, people will post about comparable brands to Alden. It has happened with Ralph Lauren, Wolverine, Vass, whatever. That's all fine in my book. Many people want to learn about brands doing good things with cordovan, suede, etc. no issue with posting a Carmina boot in this thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***