or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2597

post #38941 of 86681
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesam099 View Post

HELP!! I've just had candle wax spilled on two pairs of Alden suede shoes. Does anybody know how I can remove it without damaging the suede?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc wid it View Post

I've read this in multiple places:
Excess can be scraped off with dull knife or spoon. Paper towels pressed on affected area and heat applied by blow dryer may lift wax into paper towel. Heat, however, tends to set dye in colored candles.


Well, I tried and I'm not sure what else to do. I think that the one shoe is ruined. I almost wish it would've gone onto my shell chukkas above where the suede were stored, it would be so much easier to clean!

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #38942 of 86681
they're definitely not ruined. have you tried a suede cleaner? worse comes to worse you can send them to b. nelson.
post #38943 of 86681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

It's because he does the Mac break-in method!

 

3 separate wearings on carpet so the shoes aren't stiff when you hit the pavement with them.  Thats what causes the excessive wear on the toe of the sole.  (Stiff shoes on pavement)

 

It's been discussed previously

 

Thanks, but your last comment nullifies your previous comments.  The "Mac Method" isn't a secret (at least not in these threads).  As a few others agree, broken in shoes does not prevent toe wear ultimately.  It prevents un-necessary excessive wear due to stiff shoes.  I go beyond the 3 separate wearings, and did so before I ever heard of the "Mac Method" simply to ensure proper fit. 

post #38944 of 86681
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

A great shade indeed.
Mine were set to arrive via USPS priority on 12/6 per the tracking number.
It is 12/8 and they are not here. The beauty of the government-run postal system during the holidays .....

i had to exchange a sweater at j. press. i used USPS priority and it took 2 days to go from Seattle to NY. meanwhile the return package from j press to Seattle is taking 7 days using ups.

why am i sticking up for the usps, i have no idea.
post #38945 of 86681
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post


nephew,
always walk on carpeting and never walk on concrete.

 

Are you serious, or being facetious?  If the only concrete your shoes see is from your car to your office and back, then I get it.  I'm just wondering if (and how) you really only wear your shoes on carpet. 

post #38946 of 86681
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100 yrs View Post

i had to exchange a sweater at j. press. i used USPS priority and it took 2 days to go from Seattle to NY. meanwhile the return package from j press to Seattle is taking 7 days using ups.
why am i sticking up for the usps, i have no idea.

ups is the worst mail service of the big 3. hands down.
post #38947 of 86681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

they're definitely not ruined. have you tried a suede cleaner? worse comes to worse you can send them to b. nelson.

No, I didn't try a suede cleaner. The wax seems to be set into the suede, so I'm not sure how much a cleaner would help. I'm considering sending them to B. Nelson.
post #38948 of 86681
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

Are you serious, or being facetious?  If the only concrete your shoes see is from your car to your office and back, then I get it.  I'm just wondering if (and how) you really only wear your shoes on carpet. 

I think what Mac is referring to is within the context of trying new shoes to determine if they fit well. Although some distributors will not accept returns on shell shoes with creases, keeping the soles like-new will definitely get a higher asking resale price on auctions, B&S, etc.
post #38949 of 86681
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

Are you serious, or being facetious?  If the only concrete your shoes see is from your car to your office and back, then I get it.  I'm just wondering if (and how) you really only wear your shoes on carpet. 

I'm in a similar situation - from to the house to the garage to the car, from my spot in the parking garage 10 feet to the elevator, and from then on it's all carpeted. The only real wear is if I have a long walk to a restaurant from the parking lot or something. But, Mac also has a very large rotation, while I end up repeating shoes 2-3 times per month.
post #38950 of 86681
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post

I'm in a similar situation - from to the house to the garage to the car, from my spot in the parking garage 10 feet to the elevator, and from then on it's all carpeted. The only real wear is if I have a long walk to a restaurant from the parking lot or something. But, Mac also has a very large rotation, while I end up repeating shoes 2-3 times per month.

Bucksfan, good to see you on this other Americana thread! I am so totally on the other range of the spectrum. Living in NYC and one who would rather walk 10 blocks then hop on a subway for 1 stop, I think I must range anywhere from 4 to 5 miles during a workday and more on weekends (which is a reason why I wear my double leather soled Aldens then). I don't know if it's just me but I do find some satisfaction getting wear out of my shoes.
post #38951 of 86681
^ good to be seen, thanks. I am beginning to increase my Alden collection, so I figured I'd start adding to the conversation over here smile.gif

How long does a double sole last you, out of curiosity? I have them on my Alden for j. Crew captoes and Chukkas.
post #38952 of 86681
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post

How long does a double sole last you, out of curiosity? I have them on my Alden for j. Crew captoes and Chukkas.

I rotate shoes a fair amount so they last quite a while, at least a little over a couple of years? I don't however, wait until I get to the cork, I get resoled when it gets to past the first leather layer and starts to show the middle leather layer. Most of my walking is also on concrete so the wear is pretty rough.

If you transition out, all the guys in the AE threat will lose their 'insider' marchal.gif Definitely prefer Alden to AE for more casual footwear!
post #38953 of 86681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Lee View Post

Stunning! I'm surprised the whiskey cordovan is so dark in color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post

yeah this pair looks almost as dark as some Ravello shoes that have been posted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

congrats! thats a beautiful shade of whiskey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

A great shade indeed.
Mine were set to arrive via USPS priority on 12/6 per the tracking number.
It is 12/8 and they are not here. The beauty of the government-run postal system during the holidays .....

Thanks everyone, maybe the photos are a little dark, here is a comparison with my Ravello PTB

post #38954 of 86681
Anyone thinking of having the Tamara that is posting on Leathef Souls website as a courier for the Cigar Jumpers?
post #38955 of 86681

Have you tried a suede brush on those suede's with the wax?


Edited by Don L - 12/8/12 at 1:38pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***