or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2574

post #38596 of 90123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post


$742. wow.
my shell addiction may be cured on its own at these levels.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by violethour1951 View Post

Shell prices are sure going up quickly... they were in the mid-$600s not that long ago.

I thought the annual price increase wasn't supposed to happen until the new year?  puzzled.gif

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #38597 of 90123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chorizo View Post

shell shot:
back left: #8 cap toe boot (J.Crew), #4 WT boot (TSM)
mid row: cigar beale (union made), whiskey bal cap toe (alden ny), #8 LWB with antique edge (Leffot), #8 LHS
front row: navy LWB (florsheim x duckie brown), black swb (leather sole)

You really need to be commended on having some very distinctive make-ups.  (looks like Alcibades beat me to it)

 

Very well assembled collection

post #38598 of 90123
Quote:
Originally Posted by szerwo View Post

Sorry for the long-windedness of this post but I have a bit of an interesting sizing situation here.


On a recent trip to NYC I bought my first pair of Aldens, some Whiskey Cordovan Indy's in size 9EEE. I typically wear size 11 in boots, but when I was looking at the shoe on display it looked about the right size. Turns out it was, and in fact was the best fitting boot I'd ever worn. When I remarked how odd it was that a size 9EEE fit right, the sales associate said that for each width rating, Aldens tend to go up half a size in lenght (*scratching head*).


Fast forward a few months and I pick up a pair of second hand CXL plain toe boots on the True Balance last, this time in size 11. The outsoles are the exact same length. Turns out the guy was essentially right. The difference however is in the fit of the uppers. The 11 is shaped for a foot with roughly the same shape but much more girth than the 9EEE (particularly in the heel cup). The 11 works for me with a tight lacing and thick socks, but I prefer the fit of the 9.


To add to all this, I saw an ebay post for some 10E's that had the same outsole measurements as my 9EE and 11D. So at this stage I'm starting to believe that I could probably fit multiple Aldens by playing with the length/width combo: 9EEE, 9.5EE, and 10E. Weirdest thing ever but sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. My goal is to find which one is the optimal fit, but it's difficult to find Aldens to try on in SoCal.

So my question to you guys is whether anyone here has had a similar situation? What ended up being the best fit in the end? And finally, who would be best to talk to about this before I order my next pair? Someone at Alden (is that possible)? Or maybe someone from a particular retailer?


Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

Photo proof below, 11D's on top, 9EEE's on bottom:

Same thing with Alden and my Wolverines, I wear 11.5 in Barrie and Trubalance and I can wear a 10eee in Wolverien 1000 miles.
post #38599 of 90123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

$742. wow.
my shell addiction may be cured on its own at these levels.

TSM cigar Indys have been $742 for at least a couple months.
post #38600 of 90123
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeLinebacke View Post

I thought the annual price increase wasn't supposed to happen until the new year?  puzzled.gif

fellow at alden sf told me december this year, looks like he was right.

usually don't like posting ebay listings for fear of blowing up the spot for someone, but they were posted on Put This On's ebay listing today so I figured what the hey. styleforum x leathersoul. i really like how the #8 has faded, I hope my plaza plain toes look like that in a few years.

post #38601 of 90123
I've been on a bit of a LWB tear lately (I'm still waiting for two other pairs to arrive).

L-R: Ravello, CXL, and J. Crew Crepe. The #8 Crews are definitely a serious Frankenshoe. I'm a little disappointed that the welt is dark rather than the antique brown they show on the website. However, seeing the price of those cigar Indys, I'm not complaining for a sub $500 pair of shells.

post #38602 of 90123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

A lot of rare models here (whiskey cap toe, #4 wingtip, etc). Nice collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

You really need to be commended on having some very distinctive make-ups.  (looks like Alcibades beat me to it)

Very well assembled collection

thanks guys! I try and swoop in on the ones i REALLY want (though to be fair, pretty much want them all).

not pictured are:
reverse chamois wingtip boots (leffot)
natural cxl indys (leffot),
marble suede indy boots on crepe (leffot),
blue suede tassel mocs (unionmade)

the wish list is too long to type....
post #38603 of 90123

^^^ Also unordinary

post #38604 of 90123
Quote:
Originally Posted by REguy View Post

I've been on a bit of a LWB tear lately (I'm still waiting for two other pairs to arrive).
L-R: Ravello, CXL, and J. Crew Crepe. The #8 Crews are definitely a serious Frankenshoe. I'm a little disappointed that the welt is dark rather than the antique brown they show on the website. However, seeing the price of those cigar Indys, I'm not complaining for a sub $500 pair of shells.

Is the CXL effect from the factory or did you treat the wing and not the vamp?
post #38605 of 90123
Quote:
Originally Posted by REguy View Post

I've been on a bit of a LWB tear lately (I'm still waiting for two other pairs to arrive).

L-R: Ravello, CXL, and J. Crew Crepe. The #8 Crews are definitely a serious Frankenshoe. I'm a little disappointed that the welt is dark rather than the antique brown they show on the website. However, seeing the price of those cigar Indys, I'm not complaining for a sub $500 pair of shells.

Hmm, is the CXL really so much two-tone? How much wear have you got on it?

And I'm with you on the LWB tear. Have a CXL and a cigar, plus a navy suede on pre-order, also considering ravello some time in the future (alas, this will be with the new prices). And maybe I'll try to grab a snuff suede LWB next time J.Crew leaves it on sale, if it's available when that happens.

This is probably not too much compared to other gentlemen in this thread, but these are all alden shoes I got (the only boot in my possession being a CXL indy). Might look for a PTB in ravello instead for my birthday next year though.

 

And btw, a novice question: does the paste wax I got with my cigar LWB have any place in the mac method? Is this the wax I should use each ~15 wearings?

post #38606 of 90123
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino View Post

Hmm, is the CXL really so much two-tone? How much wear have you got on it?
And I'm with you on the LWB tear. Have a CXL and a cigar, plus a navy suede on pre-order, also considering ravello some time in the future (alas, this will be with the new prices). And maybe I'll try to grab a snuff suede LWB next time J.Crew leaves it on sale, if it's available when that happens.
This is probably not too much compared to other gentlemen in this thread, but these are all alden shoes I got (the only boot in my possession being a CXL indy). Might look for a PTB in ravello instead for my birthday next year though.

And btw, a novice question: does the paste wax I got with my cigar LWB have any place in the mac method? Is this the wax I should use each ~15 wearings?

yes
post #38607 of 90123
Quote:
Originally Posted by REguy View Post

I've been on a bit of a LWB tear lately (I'm still waiting for two other pairs to arrive).

L-R: Ravello, CXL, and J. Crew Crepe. The #8 Crews are definitely a serious Frankenshoe. I'm a little disappointed that the welt is dark rather than the antique brown they show on the website. However, seeing the price of those cigar Indys, I'm not complaining for a sub $500 pair of shells. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Crap, the whole reason I ordered the J Crew #8s was because of the lighter welt.
post #38608 of 90123
All the shoes are fresh out of the box. The middle shoe is brown CXL with natural CXL for the vamp. There is definitely a difference in color, although it doesn't scream "Look at me, I'm into crazy shoes!"
post #38609 of 90123
I feel your pain, Zipp
post #38610 of 90123
Quote:
Originally Posted by REguy View Post

All the shoes are fresh out of the box. The middle shoe is brown CXL with natural CXL for the vamp. There is definitely a difference in color, although it doesn't scream "Look at me, I'm into crazy shoes!"

May I ask where you sourced those?

Very nice collection

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***