or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2572

post #38566 of 86571
^ beautiful whiskeys...nice looking trousers as well

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #38567 of 86571
Quote:
Originally Posted by brostymie View Post

Hi,
my only alden is a crepe sole and i am abt to receive my first pair in leather sole. My only concern is that leather sole will be slipperly especially in wet weather. Does anyone here add a rubber sole to it, or is that unneccessary?

I did it to a pair of mine, after taking a nasty spill in Grand Central Station on their marble. So when it rains, that pair are my go to.

post #38568 of 86571
Quote:
Originally Posted by brostymie View Post

Hi,
my only alden is a crepe sole and i am abt to receive my first pair in leather sole. My only concern is that leather sole will be slipperly especially in wet weather. Does anyone here add a rubber sole to it, or is that unneccessary?

Not necessary in my opinion.  It will be slippery only at first, until the bottoms of the soles get scuffed up from walking outside.  Wet wether however does soften up the leather sole and make it wear down much faster, so you might still consider getting them toppy'd for that reason if you plan on walking on wet pavement with them.

 

Edit:  Yes, it would be slippery on wet marble, but aren't all shoes?

post #38569 of 86571

the only time I have fallen down in the last 10+ years was wearing a pair of alden boots with leather waterlock sole. It had rained about 15 minutes before I was walking into a restarant, boot hit the curb the wrong way sliped, fell, on the ground! Totally embarrassing luckily no injury

must of my aldens are commando now, though I do have one crepe, and one danite

post #38570 of 86571
smooth soles = slippery. I had a pair or RM Williams boots with a smooth rubber sole that I slipped and fell while wearing multiple times in the winter, until I decided that was crazy and sold them.

topy is probably a bit better than leather in the winter in terms of "slippery proof" but once they get worn down to the point they are smooth, they are no better or actually worse I think.

some people say dainite is slippery but it's been ok in my experience. something like commando is best b/c it's the opposite of smooth

I have

- 1 commando
- 1 dainite
- 5 leather

soles in my shoedrobe. when the leather wears down on my boots w/ leather, I'll resole with commando or dainite. not really bothering w/ topy anymore
post #38571 of 86571
Leather soles can be slippery at first, but after you scuff the leather soles up a bit, they gain traction. After wearing leather soled shoes to work for years, you get used to wearing them in most conditions. In really bad weather, switch to a shoe with a commando sole or do something like wear Bean boots on the way to the office
post #38572 of 86571

I hate when offices don't have carpets on the floor. Walked in for an interview once on a rainy day and slipped frown.gif

 

Made myself look like a dumbass to the receptionist 

post #38573 of 86571

Just a small plug for Robert Amore: 

 

I received my #8 LWBs from Amore Clothing last week.  $570 shipped, got the tip here.  They look great, I cannot find a single flaw.  This is the second LWB for me and I believe the Barrie last may be the most comfortable shoe for me. 

post #38574 of 86571
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcomzzz View Post

Does anyone other than shoemart carry the natural cxl indy? I'm pretty sure I need a C width in a 13 and they don't have anything narrower than a D.

 

Moulded Shoe has a natural CXL Indy boot.  It's on the Modified last.  I'm not sure they have any widths other than D, though.

post #38575 of 86571
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceBoogie View Post

I hate when offices don't have carpets on the floor. Walked in for an interview once on a rainy day and slipped frown.gif

Made myself look like a dumbass to the receptionist 

luckily the receptionist has zero impact on whether or not you get hired. Impress the decision makers.
post #38576 of 86571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Not necessary in my opinion.  It will be slippery only at first, until the bottoms of the soles get scuffed up from walking outside.  Wet wether however does soften up the leather sole and make it wear down much faster, so you might still consider getting them toppy'd for that reason if you plan on walking on wet pavement with them.

 

Edit:  Yes, it would be slippery on wet marble, but aren't all shoes?

I'm sorry if you misunderstood, the marble inside of Grand Central wasn't wet. My shoes were wet from the rain outside of the station.

 

Now with the vibram sole protector, the shoes slip no more.

post #38577 of 86571
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

cigar lhs

argyles otc

uncle, these cigar LHS are o/s, better than your ravello LHS in my opinion.

post #38578 of 86571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

New addition - Whiskey LWB
DB7AB425-5A69-415B-81C6-AD44983DB8AB-24440-000017021634E154.jpg
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a good looking combo. Congrats, and enjoy.

Details on the trousers as well, please.
post #38579 of 86571
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYGGG View Post

Good looking LWB, wear them in health.
Thank you. The six eyelet chukka with a flat welt & close heel is far superior than the regular chukka for fit & style & almost sleek (for Alden).
Looking good in your LHS. O/S!
Thank you.
Thank you.

nephew,
thank you
post #38580 of 86571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

New addition - Whiskey LWB
DB7AB425-5A69-415B-81C6-AD44983DB8AB-24440-000017021634E154.jpg
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enjoy wearing your whiskey gunboats in good health
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***