or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2570

post #38536 of 86502
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

[/B]
I am now in total agreement. Was the group adamant on these features? I guess it would be too late to change it now? I'm in regardless but...

I'd say its too late to change.  It was hard enough getting everyone to agree on 1 design and the order has been submitted.  If you start making changes, people might start dropping out.  It was a done deal once the votes were tallied and the final design was established.  You can't go back and change it now, (even if it were possible) it would be undemocratic.  

 

But to answer your question, it was just a simple majority who wanted the 360.  There was plenty of support for the closed heel.

 

I am coming around on the closed heel as well.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #38537 of 86502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

I'd say its too late to change.  It was hard enough getting everyone to agree on 1 design and the order has been submitted.  If you start making changes, people might start dropping out.  It was a done deal once the votes were tallied and the final design was established.  You can't go back and change it now, (even if it were possible) it would be undemocratic.  

 

But to answer your question, it was just a simple majority who wanted the 360.  There was plenty of support for the closed heel.

 

I am coming around on the closed heel as well.

 

You're absolutely right.  I just needed someone to tell me that.  But if that Thor boot does come through, I am sure I will be happy with it.

post #38538 of 86502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

And the Thor isn't supposed to have that stitching on the side of the upper.  To be honest, It kind of pisses me off seeing that boot, because it makes the Thor less rare if it gets produced.

The only way it could piss me off more is if it were Jcrew and not LS.

Thor boot design wasn't all that special in the first place, you just were going for a standard design in a rarer shell color. Wouldn't be surprised if a few other retailers like Unionmade had something similar arrive as well before the Thor boot
post #38539 of 86502
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

Thor boot design wasn't all that special in the first place, you just were going for a standard design in a rarer shell color. Wouldn't be surprised if a few other retailers like Unionmade had something similar arrive as well before the Thor boot

also, the LS version is only available in one store in HI. so who cares? maybe 60 dudes on an island will have something similar.
post #38540 of 86502
Leather Soul has sold those cigar jumper boots in the past as well

Edit - Actually I don't think they have, they have sold them in color 8
Edited by Alcibiades - 12/2/12 at 12:16pm
post #38541 of 86502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

Phipsi, have you ever used that stuff?  I wonder if it's safe for cordovan?  I know you have yet to delve in to the realm of shell.  You recommended it too me over the summer as something that could help take the meltonian shoe polish off my Dad's cordovan loafers.  He covers up the natural beauty of the shell with the stuff, and part of me wants to help him out, but the other part tells me to just let the man do as he pleases.

Uncle Mac, do you have any guidance on the matter?

Edit: Looks like Hanger Project says its safe for cordovan, but than warns to test it on a small hidden portion of the shoe, as it can be too harsh for some leathers.

nephew,
i would first try to use a damp cloth to rub in the creases where the wax build up has occurred. If that is not successful, then brush with a horse hair shoe brush. if not satisified, post picture and we can determine the next step
post #38542 of 86502
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYGGG View Post

Really wish that we would have done the Thor boot with a flat welt & close heel as I wanted. Tom really nailed it with those cigar jumpers, great looking boot.

Now that I see the flat welt and close heel on a cigar boot, I'm persuaded. I didn't have a strong preference on that detail, though. All aspects considered, I think the Thor boot will be superior. I wonder if Kathy has heard anything ...
post #38543 of 86502
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

[/B]
I am now in total agreement. Was the group adamant on these features? I guess it would be too late to change it now? I'm in regardless but...

It was a group consensus, my vote was flat welt & close heel, but I'm sure the boot will be great and I'm still purchasing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Six View Post

Now that I see the flat welt and close heel on a cigar boot, I'm persuaded. I didn't have a strong preference on that detail, though. All aspects considered, I think the Thor boot will be superior. I wonder if Kathy has heard anything ...

I will call Kathy on Monday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

Thor boot design wasn't all that special in the first place, you just were going for a standard design in a rarer shell color. Wouldn't be surprised if a few other retailers like Unionmade had something similar arrive as well before the Thor boot

You are correct on all accounts, sir. Tassels in HK did a similar boot in black shell & ultimately the cigar boot was swiped from a fellow SF'er, Thor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

I'd say its too late to change.  It was hard enough getting everyone to agree on 1 design and the order has been submitted.  If you start making changes, people might start dropping out.  It was a done deal once the votes were tallied and the final design was established.  You can't go back and change it now, (even if it were possible) it would be undemocratic.  

Agreed. Running an Alden MTO and getting a group consensus is a tough thing to do, but I'd do it again. I really think the Thor boot went through that way was because everyone could see the Thor boot as a finished product, and not a concept.

I am coming around on the closed heel as well.

Agreed. Running an Alden MTO and getting a group consensus is a tough thing to do, but I'd do it again. I really think the Thor boot went through that way was because everyone could see Thor's boot as a finished product, and not a concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

You have color 8 tankers as well, right? When do you wear each boot?

Correct, and there is always time.
post #38544 of 86502

I spoke to a guy at DC on Friday when I was looking for cordovan belts.  Before I hung up, I asked if he had heard whether or not the order for the Thor had been confirmed.  He said he didn't think it was at that stage yet.

 

I realize that the Thor isn't a completely novel concept, but its not something you see posted in this thread everyday, like a #8 Cap Toe Boot, for example.  While other retailers had done PCT boots in the past, I'd never seen one in Cigar, except for Thor's 1offs.  So in that way, they really aren't that common.  Edit:  Even less so, now that LS has that offering, so to me it undeniably dilutes its exclusivity.  1/36 vs 1/96.

post #38545 of 86502

Latest addition to the collection and an early holiday present to myself.  Alpine grain LWB on Barrie last with a commando sole.  Love them -- thanks Che and Kathy at Alden of DC!

 

 

Alpine LWB, Barrie Last, Commando Sole from Alden of DC.

post #38546 of 86502
^ That's a nice make-up. Thanks for posting.
post #38547 of 86502



Back Shell 6 Eyelet Chukka







Color #2 shell wallet with one picture comparing #2 to #4. Great slim shell wallet.
post #38548 of 86502
Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post

also, the LS version is only available in one store in HI. so who cares? maybe 60 dudes on an island will have something similar.

Yeah, but if you ever decide to take a Hawaiian vacation and wear your cap toe cordovan boots to the beach and 60 other dudes are wearing the same cap toe cordovan boots... how embarassing!
post #38549 of 86502
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYGGG View Post


I've read some criticism of the 6-eyelet chukka styling, but I really think this is a superior model to the standard black plain toe blucher. Nice choice.
post #38550 of 86502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Snob View Post

Latest addition to the collection and an early holiday present to myself.  Alpine grain LWB on Barrie last with a commando sole.  Love them -- thanks Che and Kathy at Alden of DC!



nephew
good looking gunboat, wear in good health
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***