or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2564

post #38446 of 91407
J Crew uses brands like Alden, Barbour, etc to get people into the store and onto the website to buy the J Crew branded merchandise. They make some profit margin on the third party branded merchandise, but make a higher margin on their own stuff. Guys may walk looking for an Indy boot but end up with an Indy boot, a sweater and a shirt as well.

Not sure if the sale was a mistake or not. In store I know J Crew retailers are hesitant to give discounts on the third party brands when on sale. I've had a store manager offer me a discount on Quoddy, but not Alden. RL also has inconsistency when discounting their cordovan Marlows during their sales (SAs will say Marlows are excluded, but they end up being discounted online, for example)

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #38447 of 91407
What soles are on the BB unlined LHS? Is it just a standard single leather sole? The BB website doesn't specify. They're so comfortable I've basically just been alternating them recently (I have both the color 8 and black).
post #38448 of 91407
as someone who has worked with online promo codes for years, my guess is they just screwed up by not excluding Aldens. its humans who create these codes, and normally the person who actually creates it in their back end system is a relatively low level employee following the instructions of someone higher up the food chain. these people, like everyone else, are prone to mistakes, especially when the logic behind the code probably mandates extra work to exclude certain items. very easy to just not tick an extra box, or not completely understand what 3rd party merchandise, or maybe the instructions weren't super clear w/ this code, etc etc.

the simplest explanation is normally the correct one - someone just screwed up
post #38449 of 91407
I think the sale was intentional. Alden is a company that never allows its products to go on sale (like Apple or Bose). J.Crew doesn't put the shoes on sale often because it would get a slap on the wrist from Alden. So on most of the sales they exclude the shoes.

This sale was intentional though. They specifically removed certain models in order to move the stock they needed to move. It probably lasted until an angry Alden executive made a phone call.

If it was a mistake it would have been fixed by the morning after the sale started. No way they would have let it go for a couple days.

I bet there is a love / hate relationship with Alden and J.Crew. Alden probably gets annoyed they have to watch J.Crew's back all the time in regards to their discounts, but probably loves what J.Crew has done to help the volume of their sales. And that is why they can get away with it once a year or so. J.Crew behaves most of the time.
post #38450 of 91407
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post

as someone who has worked with online promo codes for years, my guess is they just screwed up by not excluding Aldens. its humans who create these codes, and normally the person who actually creates it in their back end system is a relatively low level employee following the instructions of someone higher up the food chain. these people, like everyone else, are prone to mistakes, especially when the logic behind the code probably mandates extra work to exclude certain items. very easy to just not tick an extra box, or not completely understand what 3rd party merchandise, or maybe the instructions weren't super clear w/ this code, etc etc.
the simplest explanation is normally the correct one - someone just screwed up

And this is what J.Crews says to Alden executives when they call and complain. It is a very good and believable excuse. I still think the sale was intentional though smile.gif
post #38451 of 91407
Quote:
Originally Posted by slam View Post

I think the sale was intentional. Alden is a company that never allows its products to go on sale (like Apple or Bose). J.Crew doesn't put the shoes on sale often because it would get a slap on the wrist from Alden. So on most of the sales they exclude the shoes.
This sale was intentional though. They specifically removed certain models in order to move the stock they needed to move. It probably lasted until an angry Alden executive made a phone call.
If it was a mistake it would have been fixed by the morning after the sale started. No way they would have let it go for a couple days.
I bet there is a love / hate relationship with Alden and J.Crew. Alden probably gets annoyed they have to watch J.Crew's back all the time in regards to their discounts, but probably loves what J.Crew has done to help the volume of their sales. And that is why they can get away with it once a year or so. J.Crew behaves most of the time.

I bet Alden has a very, "quod me nutrit me destruit" feeling about JCrew.

We'll never know if it's intentional or not. I think, if it is a mistake, it's one they don't really mind making. Like I said a few pages back, they are probably happy to draw in any Alden customers they can, as someone dropping $500-600 on a pair of shoes most likely has a few bucks to buy some other JCrew products.
post #38452 of 91407
I take my aldens and leave. J crew is garbage
post #38453 of 91407
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post

as someone who has worked with online promo codes for years, my guess is they just screwed up by not excluding Aldens. its humans who create these codes, and normally the person who actually creates it in their back end system is a relatively low level employee following the instructions of someone higher up the food chain. these people, like everyone else, are prone to mistakes, especially when the logic behind the code probably mandates extra work to exclude certain items. very easy to just not tick an extra box, or not completely understand what 3rd party merchandise, or maybe the instructions weren't super clear w/ this code, etc etc.
the simplest explanation is normally the correct one - someone just screwed up

Yeah also people in SF have such skewed perceptions of real life. Most people have no idea what Aldens are, and when setting up a code, the employee would not think "Alden's rarely if ever go on sale, I need to exclude them" but instead it would just be a set of shoes made by a third party
post #38454 of 91407

Picked up my jcrew #8 captoe boots from the cobbler this morning (getting topied). The lady behind the counter said they have been showing them off to other customers biggrin.gif. She did not know about the brand before those boots came through.

post #38455 of 91407
Treated the whiskey Indys with Saphir Reno and Alden ran paste wax this AM...

yvusypuj.jpg
post #38456 of 91407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

J Crew uses brands like Alden, Barbour, etc to get people into the store and onto the website to buy the J Crew branded merchandise. They make some profit margin on the third party branded merchandise, but make a higher margin on their own stuff. Guys may walk looking for an Indy boot but end up with an Indy boot, a sweater and a shirt as well.
Not sure if the sale was a mistake or not. In store I know J Crew retailers are hesitant to give discounts on the third party brands when on sale. I've had a store manager offer me a discount on Quoddy, but not Alden. RL also has inconsistency when discounting their cordovan Marlows during their sales (SAs will say Marlows are excluded, but they end up being discounted online, for example)

yes, but j.crew marks all the 3rd party stuff up so I imagine 30% is probably around their cost certainly not at a loss. I've ordered many belstaff jackets from europe the past 2 or 3 years. Even with the sucky exchange it's still cheaper than the j.crew retail price on the same jacket. 

post #38457 of 91407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Treated the whiskey Indys with Saphir Reno and Alden ran paste wax this AM...
yvusypuj.jpg

nephew,
your efforts were worth it, whiskey is looking good
is this the first time you have applied wax?
post #38458 of 91407
Quote:
Originally Posted by REguy View Post

^ Speaking of J Crew, they have yet to cancel my #8 crepe LWBs I ordered during one of their last sales. They were supposed to ship on Dec. 4th. Fingers crossed.

Check your order status.
Mine went to "RELEASED" which in J Crew land means they're about to be shipped.
They also show up as in stock now.
post #38459 of 91407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

I was at the Edward Green show at Leffot yesterday and spoke with Steven... For those that preordered some Alden models a couple of months ago (like the Color 8 Tanker, natty chromexcel longwing, Indy on commando sole, etc), Leffot expects those models to arrive this month
I'll work on getting Steven to switch out the crepe sole on the whiskey/black saddles to leather for his next order...

Any chance you can work on him to also order a few 12.5D in Barrie?  Us large footed individuals appreciate the chance to get cool make-ups.

post #38460 of 91407

I ordered a pair of Alden Indy's off the J.Crew website using a 25% off coupon code I received in the box for another online order back in August.  The code worked and I paid $380 for the pair that came in 3 weeks ago.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***