or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2540

post #38086 of 91825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

I'd recommend the Indy in chromexcel. The chromexcel Indy looks unique (moc toe stitching stands out), the leather wears well and takes a nice sheen, and the boot is versatile (it can deal with a lot of weather conditions and looks good with both jeans and chinos in a variety of casula settings).

Am I the only one who prefers the original leather?

I am over CXL.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #38087 of 91825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Ravello can range anywhere from looking light slightly darker/redder whiskey to slightly ligher color 4. It seems to vary the most out of all the Alden cordovan colors

I agree and have experienced it personally. I own 3 different ravello shoes (lhs, ptb, and lwb) and each is a different shade.
post #38088 of 91825
Okay, those Ravellos, with a dark sole, are impressive. I wish Alden made more shoes, because I'd love a version of those on a better last.
post #38089 of 91825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguls View Post

Am I the only one who prefers the original leather?
I am over CXL.

+1. I own the cxl version, but stopped by an Alden stockist over the weekend who had the Indy in the original leather on display and it looked fantastic.
post #38090 of 91825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguls View Post

Am I the only one who prefers the original leather?
I am over CXL.

It's funny, I actually own the original leather version (on a commando sole) and like it a lot - but I think chromexcel is good place to start for people getting into Aldens. Can't go wrong with either.
post #38091 of 91825
Quote:
Originally Posted by REguy View Post

Someone go get that last pair of 10s!

Request granted. Hard to resist dark soled ravello. Chukkas are likely going back to The Shoe Mart.
post #38092 of 91825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

Only as confused as a captoe derby in my eyes.
Really? In what sense? I always thought captoes were dressier than wingtips if they were both derbys. On the other hand if the wingtip was an oxford it might be a different story

With respect to blucher style shoes, I generally speaking would agree with you; and of course a plain toe being considered even more formal (no ornamentation).

However, I see it differently for blucher boots, as do many others.

Keep in mind my discussion is limited to blucher style boots: if a captoe is necessarily dressier than a WT (due to more broguing on the WT, etc.), then it follows that a plaintoe is necessarily dressier than a captoe (due to zero ornamentation). Yet a plaintoe boot is almost universally considered the most casual (particularly if on a wider last like the Barrie) - hence, the chukka style, and many other plaintoe boot styles. So, with blucher boots, IMO, the "formal" continuum from plain toe to captoe to WT simply doesn't work - and, indeed, might just be turned on its head altogether. Some may disagree. I have no problem with that.
post #38093 of 91825
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7 View Post

I agree and have experienced it personally. I own 3 different ravello shoes (lhs, ptb, and lwb) and each is a different shade.

Speaking the truth.
post #38094 of 91825
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

With respect to blucher style shoes, I generally speaking would agree with you; and of course a plain toe being considered even more formal (no ornamentation).
However, I see it differently for blucher boots, as do many others.
Keep in mind my discussion is limited to blucher style boots: if a captoe is necessarily dressier than a WT (due to more broguing on the WT, etc.), then it follows that a plaintoe is necessarily dressier than a captoe (due to zero ornamentation). Yet a plaintoe boot is almost universally considered the most casual (particularly if on a wider last like the Barrie) - hence, the chukka style, and many other plaintoe boot styles. So, with blucher boots, IMO, the "formal" continuum from plain toe to captoe to WT simply doesn't work - and, indeed, might just be turned on its head altogether. Some may disagree. I have no problem with that.

I've never thought about it like that, but it makes sense.
post #38095 of 91825

other than commando sole, any major difference between these kirkwoods and the daytrippers from leffot that shipped a couple weeks ago? wondering if I need both pair 

post #38096 of 91825
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitelaw View Post

other than commando sole, any major difference between these kirkwoods and the daytrippers from leffot that shipped a couple weeks ago? wondering if I need both pair 

Daytrippers are on the Grant last. These are Barrie.
post #38097 of 91825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post


Daytrippers are on the Grant last. These are Barrie.

sweet, appreciate it. daytrippers will suffice for now

post #38098 of 91825
Better question... or poll

If you could have 10 aldens that got you thru all four seasons... that you would kep for a while. What would they be?
post #38099 of 91825
post #38100 of 91825
Arrrgggg Barrie Last. Can't. Make. Decision. I just love the grant so much I think I'll have to pass..... cold[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***