or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2530

post #37936 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

You first must convince yourself they are not nearly identical. biggrin.gif
To my wife my color 8 captoe bals are nearly identical to my color 8 captoe bluchers. I find they are not nearly identical. smile.gif

 

As many have said in a similar vein, my wife doesn't understand my obsession with boots/shoes that "all look the same".  For the first time however, she actually volunteered a strong complement on one of my boots --- my recently received Alden x J.Crew #8 PCT boots.  It's my first #8 shell purchase and I'm in love.  One thing I've realized is that in some ways I prefer a closed heel (a non-360 degree welt), especially in the larger lasts, like the Barrie.  It reduces the size of the fairly large heel.  I'm still learning so much about shoes/boots and also maybe more importantly, the subtle differences (like full 360-degree welting) that contributes to how much I like a particular pair.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #37937 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by szerwo View Post




Alden Sloat Plain Toe Boot, natural CXL leather, ~1 year old. Second photo shows the accurate color of the boot.

first photo is nice...what denim?
post #37938 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

These are shipped as firsts from Alden, Adam has very high standards and will send you photos and detailed info on each "irregular". Most of the time it's fairly minor

I second this. Alden should put him in charge of their quality control.
post #37939 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

As many have said in a similar vein, my wife doesn't understand my obsession with boots/shoes that "all look the same".  For the first time however, she actually volunteered a strong complement on one of my boots --- my recently received Alden x J.Crew #8 PCT boots.  It's my first #8 shell purchase and I'm in love.  One thing I've realized is that in some ways I prefer a closed heel (a non-360 degree welt), especially in the larger lasts, like the Barrie.  It reduces the size of the fairly large heel.  I'm still learning so much about shoes/boots and also maybe more importantly, the subtle differences (like full 360-degree welting) that contributes to how much I like a particular pair.

you should be aware that shell is very addictive
post #37940 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeLinebacke View Post

OK guys this is my first real post on this thread.  I've spent the last few days making my way from page 1 to page 380 (I joined the forum just so I could enable the setting to show 100 posts per page).  

Anyway I've learned that Alden increases their price annually.  By this time in previous years, people have had some leaked information as to how high the increase is going to be and when it will go into effect.  In one past year it seemed the increase happens annually in February; in another case it seems the price increase happened right after Christmas.

I'm looking to buy my first pair of Aldens soon but I'm getting nervous.  Does anyone know when the next price increase will come and how much it will be?

Thanks,
j

What is the first pair going to be?
post #37941 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olifter View Post


What is the first pair going to be?

I'm almost embarrassed to say this but Black Shell Cordovan PTB.  Gotta cover the basics first.

post #37942 of 87516

Noting embarrassing about that.  I too will pull the trigger on black shell ptb's anyday now.

post #37943 of 87516
i want some black ptbs as well
post #37944 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeLinebacke View Post

I'm almost embarrassed to say this but Black Shell Cordovan PTB.  Gotta cover the basics first.
I would consider #8 ptb instead. More versatile and depth of color.
post #37945 of 87516
has anyone actually had a cobbler replaced the combination heel on their aldens (rubber/leather heel)?

Just lookin for pics of how the aftermath looks like and if most cobblers have the same shape rubber piece on the heel.

I have heel plates on the back but I hate how noisy it is on certain pavements esp. indoors
post #37946 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

I would consider #8 ptb instead. More versatile and depth of color.

+1 much more versatile for a first shoe. When in doubt Color 8.
post #37947 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

These are shipped as firsts from Alden, Adam has very high standards and will send you photos and detailed info on each "irregular". Most of the time it's fairly minor

Definitely agree that Adam has very high standards and is descriptive with the irregularity of the shoe/boot. I have requested pics of in the past for irregulars he sells, but have been denied each time. That being said, what he considers an irregular is better than many "first quality" Aldens I have purchased and I have not hesitated nor would I hesitate purchasing from him in the future.
post #37948 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by interlockingny View Post


Definitely agree that Adam has very high standards and is descriptive with the irregularity of the shoe/boot. I have requested pics of in the past for irregulars he sells, but have been denied each time. That being said, what he considers an irregular is better than many "first quality" Aldens I have purchased and I have not hesitated nor would I hesitate purchasing from him in the future.

He has also declined to send me photos, and I was inquiring about firsts. He wouldn't even answer a simple question about the hue of a cigar longwing I was considering. Given his exchange-only policy, this leaves you choosing the mystery door on every purchase and living with them even if they're not what you were looking for. I believe this to be unacceptable service for a $700 pair of shoes.

post #37949 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

mvrslv.jpg
#8 cap toe boot
argyles otc
zswj03.jpg

Wow, great shine brother

post #37950 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

Here are some pics of the #4 WTB and #4 Captoe Boot, with their Ravello WTB cousin in the middle. No real sunlight today, but the outside natural light shows off the color. The #4 WTB definitely looks lighter than the #4 Captoe. All 3 boots from The Shoe Mart.
I love the Barrie, but a #4 captoe boot on the Plaza would be incredible.,,,
4family4.jpeg
4family3.jpeg
4family_rev.jpg
4family2.jpeg

Great collection, congrats man

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***