or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2480

post #37186 of 86705

..so i went at my indy 403 with a combination of kiwi brown and cordovan to stay consistent with the red tones. 

 

..unfortunately the chromexcel just doesn't seem to take the polish - guess this is what folks were saying about the packed oils - it felt like i was applying the polish and just brushing it off completely

 

..it might have helped a tiny bit .. but moving forward i think i'll just go as others have said and just brush and avoid polishing all together. 

 

I am curious as to what Alden does to chromexcel when you send in for an overhaul - anyone have picture of before and after for a pair of chromexcel aldens?

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #37187 of 86705
Try a quality shoe cream instead.
post #37188 of 86705
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiealden View Post

..so i went at my indy 403 with a combination of kiwi brown and cordovan to stay consistent with the red tones. 

..unfortunately the chromexcel just doesn't seem to take the polish - guess this is what folks were saying about the packed oils - it felt like i was applying the polish and just brushing it off completely

..it might have helped a tiny bit .. but moving forward i think i'll just go as others have said and just brush and avoid polishing all together. 

I am curious as to what Alden does to chromexcel when you send in for an overhaul - anyone have picture of before and after for a pair of chromexcel aldens?

i use montana pitch blend on chromexcel for treating/waterproofing and then just brush after each wear. i've had excellent results.
post #37189 of 86705
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCowperwood View Post

Ravello WT boots.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Those are almost too shiny... Almost!

 

A highly coveted make-up in the elusive ravello none-the-less.  Especially like the bar lacing.

 

My hat is off to you, sir

post #37190 of 86705

Those do look amazing, Frank!

post #37191 of 86705
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdecker78 View Post

I was hoping to get a little sizing advice after several frustrating experiences. I am trying to figure out the best size to order for a pair of shell split toe loafers in the Grant last. I just received a pair in 12C and although they're long enough, they seem too narrow.  I have a pair of shell shortwings on the Tremont last that are 12D, but they are a bit roomy, which isn't as big of an issue since they are lace-ups.  Any thoughts on whether I should just go true to size and order a 12D in the loafers on Grant last or if I should size down to the 11.D?  Thanks!

This (bold) would seem to suggest 12D is the answer. Am I missing something?
post #37192 of 86705
Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post

i use montana pitch blend on chromexcel for treating/waterproofing and then just brush after each wear. i've had excellent results.

I use and like Montana pitch blend on CXL too. I don't think the leather is really going to take a shine, but something like pitch blend can give a nice deep gloss. I wipe the shoes clean, apply pitch blend with my fingers, let it sit a little and then wipe everything down with a paper towel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by wigglr View Post

Those do look amazing, Frank!

Thanks, gentlemen. I think the shine is in part just how the light and the dubious iPhone camera captured them. Haven't done all that much to them other than an occasional brushing and one or two applications of Venetian shoe cream.

I just wish they were an E width (or, more practically, that I'd gone a size up). They are definitely a special makeup, but not quite my most comfortable pair of Aldens to wear. The bar lacing is actually one way I found that gives me a little more room in them. And I like how it looks too. Anyway, can't quite see getting rid of them. smile.gif
post #37193 of 86705
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


This (bold) would seem to suggest 12D is the answer. Am I missing something?

This.

 

Also, these shoes are almost expected to be a little uncomfortable when brand new.  There is a bit of a break-in period.

 

However, if they are more than a little uncomfortable, indeed you do probably have the wrong size.

post #37194 of 86705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

This.

 

Also, these shoes are almost expected to be a little uncomfortable when brand new.  There is a bit of a break-in period.

 

However, if they are more than a little uncomfortable, indeed you do probably have the wrong size.

I believe this is more discomfort than the normal "break-in" that would be expected.  My concern with the 12D is that there would be too much heel slippage.  With my 12D shortwings on the Tremont last, I believe the they're probably a little big, but they work since they're lace-ups.  I guess I just need some input on similarities between the Tremont and Grant lasts.  If the consensus is that Tremont and Grant are the same, 11.5D will probably be the winner.  However, if there's anyone that thinks the Tremont runs large compared to the Grant, I may decide to try the 12D. Thanks for everyone's input.

post #37195 of 86705
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdecker78 View Post

I believe this is more discomfort than the normal "break-in" that would be expected.  My concern with the 12D is that there would be too much heel slippage.  With my 12D shortwings on the Tremont last, I believe the they're probably a little big, but they work since they're lace-ups.  I guess I just need some input on similarities between the Tremont and Grant lasts.  If the consensus is that Tremont and Grant are the same, 11.5D will probably be the winner.  However, if there's anyone that thinks the Tremont runs large compared to the Grant, I may decide to try the 12D. Thanks for everyone's input.

For all my loafers (all Van last) I went down 1 width (b/d to a/c) to make sure I had no heel slippage - they are snug in width, but comfortably snug. Going down one width also means you go down 1 in heel width.

If the 12C has no heel slippage, I would be inclined to stay with them.
post #37196 of 86705
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

For all my loafers (all Van last) I went down 1 width (b/d to a/c) to make sure I had no heel slippage - they are snug in width, but comfortably snug. Going down one width also means you go down 1 in heel width.

If the 12C has no heel slippage, I would be inclined to stay with them.

I do not own a LHS, but have tried on a few sizes, and think I fall into the same camp as SFTG (11 D Barrie, 11 C Van).
post #37197 of 86705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

I do not own a LHS, but have tried on a few sizes, and think I fall into the same camp as SFTG (11 D Barrie, 11 C Van).

Same here -- 8.5D Barrie, 8.5C Van, with the Van being a little on the tight side

post #37198 of 86705
I like color 8 with the purple / red / general "non-brown" tones because my view is that Alden already has a great brown cordovan color: cigar... The purple/red tones will fade over time but their presence is what makes color 8 so unique, particularly in sunlight. Leffot just put an awesome photo of color 8 shoes in sunlight on their twitter feed
post #37199 of 86705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

I like color 8 with the purple / red / general "non-brown" tones because my view is that Alden already has a great brown cordovan color: cigar... The purple/red tones will fade over time but their presence is what makes color 8 so unique, particularly in sunlight. Leffot just put an awesome photo of color 8 shoes in sunlight on their twitter feed

I fully agree with this. Alden's #8 is boss!
post #37200 of 86705
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar View Post

I fully agree with this. Alden's #8 is boss!

nod[1].gif

 

1000

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***