or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2412

post #36166 of 86562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

I've always wondered how salespeople deal with this in store, since I imagine that in person, the idea of not being able to walk around in the shoes to assess fit would reveal its ridiculousness. I sympathize though with people who want no evidence of try on on their new shoes, and I try to be gentle. Those who really care should make sure to work with no crease policy retailers IMO.

I know that at Alden NYC, people are trying on cordovan models constantly, rare ones included. Of course, if you reserve a shoe ahead of time at any retailer, that pair shouldn't be tried on. But for shoes that are "stocked," retailers seem to let walk-in customers try them on to ascertain the fit. I haven't heard of any brick and mortar retailers restricting this. For example, I haven't heard of someone attempting to try on a ravello model but having a salesperson say "try on this calfskin or this color 8 model instead, it's the same size and last." Of course, walking a few steps on carpet is different than wearing a shoe for hours, but small creasing can occur.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #36167 of 86562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

I know that at Alden NYC, people are trying on cordovan models constantly, rare ones included. Of course, if you reserve a shoe ahead of time at any retailer, that pair shouldn't be tried on. But for shoes that are "stocked," retailers seem to let walk-in customers try them on to ascertain the fit. I haven't heard of any brick and mortar retailers restricting this. For example, I haven't heard of someone attempting to try on a ravello model but having a salesperson say "try on this calfskin or this color 8 model instead, it's the same size and last." Of course, walking a few steps on carpet is different than wearing a shoe for hours, but small creasing can occur.

I would be okay with this, unless I already knew my size on the last of the given shoe. I imagine, though, that it could be off-putting to potential customers who aren't familiar with these issues.
post #36168 of 86562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

I would be okay with this, unless I already knew my size on the last of the given shoe. I imagine, though, that it could be off-putting to potential customers who aren't familiar with these issues.

Thing is, a lot of shoe customers might not know what a "last" is, and even more of them will want to see how a particular shoe looks on their foot
post #36169 of 86562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Thing is, a lot of shoe customers might not know what a "last" is, and even more of them will want to see how a particular shoe looks on their foot

Right, exactly. That's why I think potential customers would be confused and/or irritated if they were told that they couldn't try on the particular shoe they're interested in without first trying on a similar shoe on the same last.
post #36170 of 86562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi View Post

Got these today. Not my first Alden shoes but my first Alden LWBs. I think these are more than just shoes.

Great photo and nice looking shoe. Enjoy wearing them.
post #36171 of 86562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi View Post

Got these today. Not my first Alden shoes but my first Alden LWBs. I think these are more than just shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi View Post

^ That's unfortunate. Yes, they are J. Crew waxed LWBs.

Even with all of the shell around, these are still a fantastic make-up!

Nice stuff
post #36172 of 86562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

I know that at Alden NYC, people are trying on cordovan models constantly, rare ones included. Of course, if you reserve a shoe ahead of time at any retailer, that pair shouldn't be tried on. But for shoes that are "stocked," retailers seem to let walk-in customers try them on to ascertain the fit. I haven't heard of any brick and mortar retailers restricting this. For example, I haven't heard of someone attempting to try on a ravello model but having a salesperson say "try on this calfskin or this color 8 model instead, it's the same size and last." Of course, walking a few steps on carpet is different than wearing a shoe for hours, but small creasing can occur.

Also, some models crease more than others. My JCrew cap toe boots STILL don't have any creasing on them, whereas my chukkas...I literally sat down, put the shoes on, tied them, stood up, and already had creasing.
post #36173 of 86562
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDave View Post

Also, some models crease more than others. My JCrew cap toe boots STILL don't have any creasing on them, whereas my chukkas...I literally sat down, put the shoes on, tied them, stood up, and already had creasing.

As my cigar post from a few days ago show, chukkas crease a lot on certain foot shapes. I have a pair of ravello chukkas that I have not tried on - I am thinking about sending them back (they look similar to my whiskey chukkas), and I know if I try them on, they will crease significantly.
Edited by Alcibiades - 10/15/12 at 10:47am
post #36174 of 86562
Sounds to me like the "no crease policy" retailers have fans.
Sounds to me like the "reasonable try-on policy" retailers have fans.
Just know what kind of retailer you are doing business with (whether because you wish to try them on or whether you wish to get an uncreased pair 100% of the time), and plan accordingly. biggrin.gif
post #36175 of 86562
two new looks from fransboone. crepe sole for comfort looks great too...

I quite like the black...



post #36176 of 86562
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chorizo View Post

two new looks from fransboone. crepe sole for comfort looks great too...
I quite like the black...

 

I like the contrast between the black and the mid-sole.

post #36177 of 86562
Quote:
Originally Posted by calidist View Post

I like the contrast between the black and the mid-sole.

To each their own I guess... too much contrast for my tastes.
post #36178 of 86562
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chorizo View Post

two new looks from fransboone...

Alden has been putting together some great makeups for Frans Boone lately. They seem to be rivaling Leather Soul in terms of creativity.
post #36179 of 86562

 

Picked up my J. Gilbert Plaza NST's at lunch!

 

Love these so much.

 

Will have to take proper photos later.

post #36180 of 86562
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioImpemba View Post



Picked up my J. Gilbert Plaza NST's at lunch!

Love these so much.

Will have to take proper photos later.

Please do.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***