or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2401

post #36001 of 99281
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioImpemba View Post


Stripes on stripes on stripe carpet tongue.gif

Looks good, though.

ha thanks satisfied.gif
post #36002 of 99281
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

This is borderline too much roll. Any more and I'd say the shoe doesn't fit

These are 9.5E, so they are my size in barrie... Fit is spot on. Chukkas tend to crease a bit more than some other models, and I don't mind it
post #36003 of 99281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner View Post

Beef rolls? Aren't beef rolls a type of loafers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

I think he is referring to the creases in the leather
Some people are bothered by the creasing in chukkas, but I think they actually add character to the shoe (as long as the shoe is maintained well with brushing and such)

Yes, you are correct but I'm talking about the folds in the cordovan (as Alcibades has pointed out). I've heard them being referred to as "beef rolls". Equine rolls might be better suited, however.
post #36004 of 99281
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker4186 View Post

Is this the same result people get with B Nelson for Dainite? If so, any hesitation I have to get my 405s resoled with Dainite is completely removed.

B.Nelson does a fantastic job. They did these for Tom at leather soul.

r9861.jpg
post #36005 of 99281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

The Darlton is an incredible shoe - I'd recommend it even over most Alden longwings/shortwings

Yeah C&J build quality and finishing is a lot better than Alden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

These are 9.5E, so they are my size in barrie... Fit is spot on. Chukkas tend to crease a bit more than some other models, and I don't mind it

Don't chukkas fit a little bigger though? I'm not a fan of rolls but this seems a bit excessive and like Namor said kinda appear too big?

edit: could be that the plain toes are more round / bigger toe box?
post #36006 of 99281
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar View Post

Yes, you are correct but I'm talking about the folds in the cordovan (as Alcibades has pointed out). I've heard them being referred to as "beef rolls". Equine rolls might be better suited, however.

Perhaps "rolls of horse ass"?
post #36007 of 99281
Too much rolling for me too.
post #36008 of 99281
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

Yeah C&J build quality and finishing is a lot better than Alden
Don't chukkas fit a little bigger though? I'm not a fan of rolls but this seems a bit excessive and like Namor said kinda appear too big?
edit: could be that the plain toes are more round / bigger toe box?

My Marlows are very well constructed and the finishing appears impeccable. And I admit I have had some QC problems with Alden. Having said that, and in fairness, I am reproducing a previous post of mine on the AE Thread (in response to a guy who had some QC problems with AE):

If a person is in the game long enough, QC issues can come from just about anywhere - and I have had my share with AE. As of late I experienced it with C&J burgundy shell cordovan captoe boots from BB (Peal & Co.) - retail $998. They arrived at my door with numerous nicks, scratches, etc. And worse yet was that the finish on the upper near the top of the boots was literally rubbing off. Yes - they were promptly returned. That was my first bad experience with a C&J product.
post #36009 of 99281
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

Yeah C&J build quality and finishing is a lot better than Alden
Don't chukkas fit a little bigger though? I'm not a fan of rolls but this seems a bit excessive and like Namor said kinda appear too big?
edit: could be that the plain toes are more round / bigger toe box?

Chukkas really aren't bigger in the same size in my experience - these 9.5E fit the same as my 9.5E barrie longwings, for example. If there are creases, it's likely just due to the shape of the shoe
post #36010 of 99281
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

My Marlows are very well constructed and the finishing appears impeccable. And I admit I have had some QC problems with Alden. Having said that, and in fairness, I am reproducing a previous post of mine on the AE Thread (in response to a guy who had some QC problems with AE):
If a person is in the game long enough, QC issues can come from just about anywhere - and I have had my share with AE. As of late I experienced it with C&J burgundy shell cordovan captoe boots from BB (Peal & Co.) - retail $998. They arrived at my door with numerous nicks, scratches, etc. And worse yet was that the finish on the upper near the top of the boots was literally rubbing off. Yes - they were promptly returned. That was my first bad experience with a C&J product.

It's BB though, shoes could have been stored improperly, returned a few times and not carefully handled by SAs / customers trying on. Finish part is kinda weird though. ThomasPaine in the BB sales thread said his boots had the ripped stitching by the tongue attaching it to the shoe and that other shoes he saw had it as well. I know that has been mentioned about the lindricks as well and people not realized the tongue is stitched in place. Either way with Ralph Lauren or BB, you can easily return, something that isn't as easy with some Alden retailers
post #36011 of 99281

Wow SO gorgeous :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Cigar chukkas from Alden Madison Avenue (fourth wear)


Chukkas don't a lot of love on this thread, but these and my whiskey chukkas are my most complimented Alden shoes. Chukkas really highlight the appeal of cordovan
post #36012 of 99281
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

Yeah C&J build quality and finishing is a lot better than Alden

Disagree on this. I can only comment on the Darlton/Marlow wintip and the Lindrick boot, as I don't own any other C&J shoes, but both pairs have their minor "issues". If the finish is better, it's certainly not "a lot" better. Maybe "a little" better. Maybe.

But either way the Darlton/Marlow is a great shoe. I wear mine probably more than any other individual pair I own. Can't recommend it enough (on sale, not at full price).
post #36013 of 99281

A Toronto based[url=http://www.goodtimelimo.ca]Limo Services Toronto[/url] service provider. Contact for Limo Services in[url=http://www.goodtimelimo.ca]Toronto Limo Service[/url], Mississauga, Brampton, Richmond Hill, Oakville, Markham, Scarborough, Milton and George Town.

post #36014 of 99281
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

It's BB though, shoes could have been stored improperly, returned a few times and not carefully handled by SAs / customers trying on. Finish part is kinda weird though. ThomasPaine in the BB sales thread said his boots had the ripped stitching by the tongue attaching it to the shoe and that other shoes he saw had it as well. I know that has been mentioned about the lindricks as well and people not realized the tongue is stitched in place. Either way with Ralph Lauren or BB, you can easily return, something that isn't as easy with some Alden retailers

The finish rubbing off is what ultimately did me in - and by all accounts had nothing to do with BB. Certainly the handling of the boots by certain persons in the BB chain of possession may have contributed to the nicks and scratches - but the boots had never been tried on .....

Yep - I had no problem with the return.
post #36015 of 99281
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chorizo View Post

nope nope nope

Wish copley was done on a non-slip-on somewhere. Looks like a nice full round toe.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***