or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2359

post #35371 of 79291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post

RE: Alden pre-orders from Leffot.....
I had written to Colin in May of this year and asked about their navy suede LWB makeup, and if they were going to offer pre-orders for this style in the future. I made it very clear in my e-mail that I needed an odd size (12B for Barrie), and Colin said that they had no plans on re-ordering this shoe (which I was dubious of, because they had offered this style 2 years in a row and it was a very quick sell-out both times). But, he said if that changed and they were going to re-order the shoe, that he would file my e-mail and let me know so that I could order my size.
About a month later, in the middle of June, I sent a follow-up e-mail just to see if anything changed. Again, he said they had not re-ordered the shoe but they would let me know if they did, so I could pre-order my size 12B.
Since then, I heard nothing back from them regarding this make-up. It wasn't until a few days ago when I got a PM from neutrino (thanks for the heads up!) about the pre-order for their navy suede LWB. I checked their website and saw that you could only pre-order D widths for this style. So, I sent an e-mail back to Colin and asked if I could pre-order a narrow width for these, and I attached my previous e-mails from the past couple months where he stated that he would let me know before this was re-ordered so I could get my size. I got an e-mail back the next day from Steven, which said that "once an order is confirmed by Alden we cannot make additions or changes," and "we are not able to take special size requests at the moment for various reasons."
Ummmm...so what happened to me getting in on a pre-order before Alden confirmed the order, so that I could get my size? Seems like they were just blowing smoke up my ass, knowing that they were going to order only D widths. Or, they just completely forgot about me, which is a possibility.
TL;DR - I guess Leffot isn't interested in gaining any new customers if it's too much of a hassle for them. I can't really fault them for that, because I'm sure the shoe will sell out anyway, so from their perspective, it won't affect them at all to lose my business. I guess I will just stick with retailers that actually let me pre-order my size (Epaulet, Leather Soul, Alden DC, etc).

At least they respond to your emails. I've tried to reach out to them about pre-orders several times...no response. At this point, I have no interest in purchasing anything from Leffot.

I'm sure my lack of revenue isn't going to force them to close their doors, but I certainly won't be singing their praises to anyone, either. I've referred a number of people to Shoemart and Leather Soul.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #35372 of 79291
Pity that my help was in vain, BG. I personally wasn't able to order with Leffot because they only accept paypal, and I couldn't do US shipping (which I need) with my foreign paypal. Sigh.
post #35373 of 79291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post

RE: Alden pre-orders from Leffot.....
I had written to Colin in May of this year and asked about their navy suede LWB makeup, and if they were going to offer pre-orders for this style in the future. I made it very clear in my e-mail that I needed an odd size (12B for Barrie), and Colin said that they had no plans on re-ordering this shoe (which I was dubious of, because they had offered this style 2 years in a row and it was a very quick sell-out both times). But, he said if that changed and they were going to re-order the shoe, that he would file my e-mail and let me know so that I could order my size.
About a month later, in the middle of June, I sent a follow-up e-mail just to see if anything changed. Again, he said they had not re-ordered the shoe but they would let me know if they did, so I could pre-order my size 12B.
Since then, I heard nothing back from them regarding this make-up. It wasn't until a few days ago when I got a PM from neutrino (thanks for the heads up!) about the pre-order for their navy suede LWB. I checked their website and saw that you could only pre-order D widths for this style. So, I sent an e-mail back to Colin and asked if I could pre-order a narrow width for these, and I attached my previous e-mails from the past couple months where he stated that he would let me know before this was re-ordered so I could get my size. I got an e-mail back the next day from Steven, which said that "once an order is confirmed by Alden we cannot make additions or changes," and "we are not able to take special size requests at the moment for various reasons."
Ummmm...so what happened to me getting in on a pre-order before Alden confirmed the order, so that I could get my size? Seems like they were just blowing smoke up my ass, knowing that they were going to order only D widths. Or, they just completely forgot about me, which is a possibility.
TL;DR - I guess Leffot isn't interested in gaining any new customers if it's too much of a hassle for them. I can't really fault them for that, because I'm sure the shoe will sell out anyway, so from their perspective, it won't affect them at all to lose my business. I guess I will just stick with retailers that actually let me pre-order my size (Epaulet, Leather Soul, Alden DC, etc).

Not to criticize, but it seems like your complaint is that when they finalized and announced their pre-orders they didn't remember that you had inquired previously. I have a great deal of sympathy for them on this - that's a level of service I generally wouldn't expect from a B&M retail shop at this price point (they have to sell a lot of shoes to stay in business; it's not like they can afford to keep track of every individual sales lead, like if they were selling real estate or high-end cars). We have no idea what their signal to noise ratio is - I'm guessing they must get at least 5 internet lookie-loos for every shoe sold. That is somewhat unfair to someone like you who would have definitely purchased, but from a business perspective it's probably not the wrong choice to discount email inquiries heavily.

I happen to live right around Leffot. If you ever have the opportunity to visit it will probably alter your view of their business model. They are a very leanly run B&M store with a tremendous level of in-person service. Like other B&M stores in this space they will accommodate internet orders if they can, but it's quite clear that their focus is on the people who walk through the door, and that they only have the limited time in between B&M customers to deal with email inquiries. It's a great and quite unique store, and not just for the particular brand focus of this thread. I can't recommend enough to shoe lovers that they visit someday, and soon.
post #35374 of 79291
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrown View Post

Not to criticize, but it seems like your complaint is that when they finalized and announced their pre-orders they didn't remember that you had inquired previously. I have a great deal of sympathy for them on this - that's a level of service I generally wouldn't expect from a B&M retail shop at this price point Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
(they have to sell a lot of shoes to stay in business; it's not like they can afford to keep track of every individual sales lead, like if they were selling real estate or high-end cars). We have no idea what their signal to noise ratio is - I'm guessing they must get at least 5 internet lookie-loos for every shoe sold. That is somewhat unfair to someone like you who would have definitely purchased, but from a business perspective it's probably not the wrong choice to discount email inquiries heavily.
I happen to live right around Leffot. If you ever have the opportunity to visit it will probably alter your view of their business model. They are a very leanly run B&M store with a tremendous level of in-person service. Like other B&M stores in this space they will accommodate internet orders if they can, but it's quite clear that their focus is on the people who walk through the door, and that they only have the limited time in between B&M customers to deal with email inquiries. It's a great and quite unique store, and not just for the particular brand focus of this thread. I can't recommend enough to shoe lovers that they visit someday, and soon.

Not sure I agree with this. It would be fine, and I'm sure Beatlegeuse wouldn't be (as) upset, if they focused on in-store business and were upfront with the fact that they couldn't accommodate such requests. Instead, it seems that they over promised, and didn't follow through with sufficient organization.
post #35375 of 79291
Yeah, not to comment on any particular customer's interaction with Leffot, but remember it is essentially a 2-3 person operation. In addition to selling Alden shoes in store and over the internet, they have to manage a steady stream of walk in customers as well as manage a bunch of regulars that are buying MTO Edward Greens, Corthays, Rider Boots or whatever. Running the kind of blog that they do, I'm sure they get tons of inquiries, and some will slip through the cracks unfortunately. Leffot is making a step in the right direction in general by putting these preorders online - I'm sure they will get better at it as time goes on. I concur with mcbrown - anyone that lives in NYC or visits should pay Leffot a visit, it's a great store. Walk in customers get treated very well.
post #35376 of 79291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

Not sure I agree with this. It would be fine, and I'm sure Beatlegeuse wouldn't be (as) upset, if they focused on in-store business and were upfront with the fact that they couldn't accommodate such requests. Instead, it seems that they over promised, and didn't follow through with sufficient organization.

Yeah, that's fair too.
post #35377 of 79291
All very good points. I wasn't really trying to bash Leffot here, just giving a detailed review of my experience. Like Papa Doble said, this would have been a non-issue if they responded to my first e-mail and said "sorry, we can't accommodate special sizing requests." That would have been the end of it for me, and I would have continued buying elsewhere without ever bothering to mention my experience. But the fact that they responded to me on two separate occasions to say that they would let me know about pre-order details if they did in fact re-order the shoe. And then when they actually did re-order the style (which they explicitly told me twice that they had no plans of doing), they respond and say they can't order any special sizes, even if they offer a pre-order. They seem to be a pretty big Alden retailer, so I'm confused why they can't offer special sizes while many other Alden retailers can.

Next time in in NYC I would love to take a look around the shop and talk shoes with the guys there, and hopefully get a better understanding of how their operation works with some answers to my questions. Not expecting them to give me a rundown of their whole business model, but maybe I could get some better insight as to how things work for them regarding pre-orders.
post #35378 of 79291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post

RE: Alden pre-orders from Leffot.....
I had written to Colin in May of this year and asked about their navy suede LWB makeup, and if they were going to offer pre-orders for this style in the future. I made it very clear in my e-mail that I needed an odd size (12B for Barrie), and Colin said that they had no plans on re-ordering this shoe (which I was dubious of, because they had offered this style 2 years in a row and it was a very quick sell-out both times). But, he said if that changed and they were going to re-order the shoe, that he would file my e-mail and let me know so that I could order my size.
About a month later, in the middle of June, I sent a follow-up e-mail just to see if anything changed. Again, he said they had not re-ordered the shoe but they would let me know if they did, so I could pre-order my size 12B.
Since then, I heard nothing back from them regarding this make-up. It wasn't until a few days ago when I got a PM from neutrino (thanks for the heads up!) about the pre-order for their navy suede LWB. I checked their website and saw that you could only pre-order D widths for this style. So, I sent an e-mail back to Colin and asked if I could pre-order a narrow width for these, and I attached my previous e-mails from the past couple months where he stated that he would let me know before this was re-ordered so I could get my size. I got an e-mail back the next day from Steven, which said that "once an order is confirmed by Alden we cannot make additions or changes," and "we are not able to take special size requests at the moment for various reasons."
Ummmm...so what happened to me getting in on a pre-order before Alden confirmed the order, so that I could get my size? Seems like they were just blowing smoke up my ass, knowing that they were going to order only D widths. Or, they just completely forgot about me, which is a possibility.
TL;DR - I guess Leffot isn't interested in gaining any new customers if it's too much of a hassle for them. I can't really fault them for that, because I'm sure the shoe will sell out anyway, so from their perspective, it won't affect them at all to lose my business. I guess I will just stick with retailers that actually let me pre-order my size (Epaulet, Leather Soul, Alden DC, etc).

If a business says they will let you know when something comes in or becomes available to order, and they don't follow through-the only reasonable assumption one could make is they don't want your business. That's what I would assume if it were me...

post #35379 of 79291

Wore these today for the first time

 

 

 

post #35380 of 79291
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

Wore these today for the first time





Nice pant and shoe combo
post #35381 of 79291
Calling all natural chromexcel longwing owners - how do you like em? What do you wear them with? I've been on the fence regarding that shoe for over a year, thinking about preordering
post #35382 of 79291

I own it in Epaulet version. These are my first Alden shoes and I love 'em. Obviously a perfect fit for raw denim - and you could find pics of that easily. I've worn them also with some Epaulet chinos, like grey oxford cloth and leaf ducks. This is the only pic I have of them with the leaf duck chinos in natural lighting:

 

 

post #35383 of 79291
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino View Post

I own it in Epaulet version. These are my first Alden shoes and I love 'em. Obviously a perfect fit for raw denim - and you could find pics of that easily. I've worn them also with some Epaulet chinos, like grey oxford cloth and leaf ducks. This is the only pic I have of them with the leaf duck chinos in natural lighting:

 

 

 

I like the pant + shoe combo!

post #35384 of 79291
i own the brown CXL barrie boot version from leathersoul. definitely a dressy-casual shoe. too dressy for jeans and a ratty t shirt, too casual for worsted wool trousers and a blazer. sweet spot is dark denim or nicer chinos with a button down shirt, like wigglr's picture above.
post #35385 of 79291

I live in the Desert so Whiskey is King here, 24/7 year round.  Quit hating on Whiskey.  I own Whiskey in LWB and LHS; next up Chukka.

 

1.  Whiskey

2.  Cigar

3.  Ravello

4.  #8

5.  Black

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***