or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2341

post #35101 of 87533

So those of you guys who have had experience buying seconds at TSM, how has it been going for you? Has it been worth it for you in general?

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #35102 of 87533
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino View Post

So those of you guys who have had experience buying seconds at TSM, how has it been going for you? Has it been worth it for you in general?

I bought a pair of ravello chukkas off the seconds list. The flaw was so minimal that I'm not 100% sure I would have complained if it were sold as a first.

That's my only experience with the seconds list though.
post #35103 of 87533
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post

this one:

i'm hard-pressed to think of a situation or outfit where you'd want to wear alden shoes (other than at the 10% at either extreme, aka super conservative/dress environment; super casual beach environment) and this boot wouldn't work. for the 80% in the middle, this is perfection.
edit: the fact that it's somewhat plain means that the #8 shell's color can really stand out, moreso than if they were wingtip'd.
edit 2: i'm hereby nominating the j crew perf captoe #8 boot to be "the navy blazer of aldens."

I have this boot and I agree 100%. The color really shines with the boot's simplicity.
post #35104 of 87533
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post


this one:

i'm hard-pressed to think of a situation or outfit where you'd want to wear alden shoes (other than at the 10% at either extreme, aka super conservative/dress environment; super casual beach environment) and this boot wouldn't work. for the 80% in the middle, this is perfection.
edit: the fact that it's somewhat plain means that the #8 shell's color can really stand out, moreso than if they were wingtip'd.
edit 2: i'm hereby nominating the j crew perf captoe #8 boot to be "the navy blazer of aldens."

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDave View Post


I have this boot and I agree 100%. The color really shines with the boot's simplicity.

I'm extremely happy with them. I wavered for over a year on them. Then, I finally received a $30. off gift card in the mail and decided to buy. It has definitely become one of my favorite pairs of Aldens next to the 975s. 

post #35105 of 87533
Who snagged the 9.5d snuff suede chukkas off the bay today?
post #35106 of 87533
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDave View Post

I have this boot and I agree 100%. The color really shines with the boot's simplicity.

The only thing stopping me from getting these are the speed hooks. My pant hems hate em.
post #35107 of 87533
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post

i'm hereby nominating the j crew perf captoe #8 boot to be "the navy blazer of aldens."

I don't necessarily disagree, but in what ways do you think they are better than, say, these #8 boots:

post #35108 of 87533
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino View Post

So those of you guys who have had experience buying seconds at TSM, how has it been going for you? Has it been worth it for you in general?

I bought a pair of color #8 PTBs off of there about a year and a half ago. The only flaw I could determine on them were some grayish specks on the leather but they came very easily with a damp cloth and some vigorous brushing. I have a feeling that whomever inspected them at TSM thought the leather was discolored when it they just happened to have some dust sort of pasted to them (I think the specks might have come from the inside of some of the packing materials).

I would not hesitate to buy from the seconds list again.
post #35109 of 87533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post

i'm hereby nominating the j crew perf captoe #8 boot to be "the navy blazer of aldens."

I don't necessarily disagree, but in what ways do you think they are better than, say, these #8 boots:


When it comes to color 8 boots, I'm partial to these when it comes to that title:

8y3ysunu.jpg

But if we were truly nominating a "navy blazer" of Alden, it would probably be either the color 8 tassel or color 8 LHS
post #35110 of 87533
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino View Post

So those of you guys who have had experience buying seconds at TSM, how has it been going for you? Has it been worth it for you in general?

 

I bought a pair of Whiskey LHS about a year ago... only flaw was a small ball point pen mark on the right instep.  Not sure how that would have even happened in the factory or the store, but not even close to noticeable enough for me to return them and no one has ever commented on it. 

 

I did make the mistake of using the saphir neutral color corovan creme instead of the reno on them and it darkened the color a bit more than i would have liked.  So heads up on that for everyone with Whiskey cordovan.

post #35111 of 87533

Regarding the cigar indy, does anyone know how many shops offer them, and how frequently?  Based on what I can gather from this forum and google, both ShoeMart and Leather Soul have had them in the past but I didnt know if there were other sources.  I'm an 11.5D on truebalance and I imagine my size gets sold out pretty quickly so I want to be on the lookout. 

post #35112 of 87533
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRoyal View Post

Regarding the cigar indy, does anyone know how many shops offer them, and how frequently?  Based on what I can gather from this forum and google, both ShoeMart and Leather Soul have had them in the past but I didnt know if there were other sources.  I'm an 11.5D on truebalance and I imagine my size gets sold out pretty quickly so I want to be on the lookout. 

Call Alden Madison Avenue in NYC, they stock it
post #35113 of 87533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

When it comes to color 8 boots, I'm partial to these when it comes to that title: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
8y3ysunu.jpg
But if we were truly nominating a "navy blazer" of Alden, it would probably be either the color 8 tassel or color 8 LHS

Interesting that you would include tassel loafers over LWB, and that the LWB in general hasn't been nominated.
post #35114 of 87533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

When it comes to color 8 boots, I'm partial to these when it comes to that title: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
8y3ysunu.jpg
But if we were truly nominating a "navy blazer" of Alden, it would probably be either the color 8 tassel or color 8 LHS

Interesting that you would include tassel loafers over LWB, and that the LWB in general hasn't been nominated.

"Navy blazer" screams loafers to me

The original idea may have been to name the most versatile boot/shoe, and I agree, color 8 captoe is a strong contender
post #35115 of 87533
haha yeah by "navy blazer" i meant "most versatile" not necessarily "what would go best with a navy blazer." carry on with the debate, gentlemen!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***