or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2307

post #34591 of 91421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm33 View Post

I am wearing my cigar shell LWBs today, and noticed that the leather has separated on the inner side of one shoe where the longwing is stitched to the vamp. The photo illustrates this, but I have to bend the shoe quite a bit for it to show.
These have been worn no more than 20 times total. I bought them here on the forum within the last six months, and I'm wondering how to approach Alden customer service regarding repair / replacement. Any advice is appreciated.

This will make it difficult (if not impossible) for you in terms of getting anything free of charge. Take them to a competent cobbler.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #34592 of 91421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm33 View Post


I sized down appropriately for Barrie last (this isn't my first / only pair of Alden LWB), and there isn't a lot of room in the toe box / they don't slip, so I don't thing sizing is an issue. The shoe is bent at about 45 degrees - maybe more - in that photo. So, with that aside, any advice on how to approach this with Alden since I didn't buy this pair from a store?

 

You probably need to call, but I had an issue with a pair I bought through a local distributor and they referred me back there. 

post #34593 of 91421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm33 View Post

I sized down appropriately for Barrie last (this isn't my first / only pair of Alden LWB), and there isn't a lot of room in the toe box / they don't slip, so I don't thing sizing is an issue. The shoe is bent at about 45 degrees - maybe more - in that photo. So, with that aside, any advice on how to approach this with Alden since I didn't buy this pair from a store?

Gotta love this forum - can't ask a non-fit question without at least 3 people trying to diagnose your fit based on a closeup anyway. smile.gif

Where are you located? If you have any decent cobblers in your area you might want to get an opinion/quote before going through the hassle of approaching Alden. This could be a simple matter of adding a stitch, which might be cheap. If it's a cheap repair, why go through the hassle of sending the shoes off by mail to a place where you won't be able to talk face-to-face with the repairperson? Besides, it's not obvious to me that this is a QC issue rather than a wear issue - it might be QC, but it's not obviously so. A consultation with a cobbler can also help you address that question.

Edit: Not to mention the obvious issue that even if blame can clearly be pinned on QC rather than wear, it's not obvious that Alden will help you out free of charge anyway. Start with a cobbler and go from there if you can.
post #34594 of 91421

I've never approached them with an issue like this, but I would just call or email Alden and let them know that you have a shoe with a manufacturing defect and describe it. Ask if they can fix it. 

 

If they ask where you bought them, just say that you dont remember, you think they may have come from...

 

or ask the seller where he got them.

 

I don't think it should matter who you bought them from, they still made the shoe.  If they have only been worn less than 20 times, it doesn't seem unreasonable to suggest that it is a manufacturing defect.

 

I would be polite, but insistant.

 

Again, I have no expereince with this, but that is personally how I would approach it.

 

Good Luck.

post #34595 of 91421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olifter View Post

You probably need to call, but I had an issue with a pair I bought through a local distributor and they referred me back there.

This is their standard company policy. Moreover, for issues of QC - based on experience and what I have been told - they require that the shoes come from the retailer, not the customer.
post #34596 of 91421
Quote:
Originally Posted by REguy View Post

^ The Grant is a very underrated last. It strikes just the right balance between bulbous and overly pointy.

... and underused.
post #34597 of 91421
Thanks to everyone who provided valuable input. I may just send them to Nick V. and see what he can do...
post #34598 of 91421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek View Post

I have a question about boots. Alden shoes are not much to my liking but I am found of the boots.
Last fall I purchased a pair of Indy cigar cordovan in a size 11.5 (I believe from Shoe Mart). I almost went with the tanker boot cordovan 8.
I do like the Indy, but now I am considering also getting the tanker. I have a few questions:
How similar are these boots? I don't want shoes that look too much alike.
Are the heels thiner on the tankers thiner than the Indy's? I wear a size 11.5 and the Indy's have quite a substantial heel.
Last question, do I order the same size in tankers (Barrie)?

Bump my own question.
post #34599 of 91421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek View Post

I have a question about boots. Alden shoes are not much to my liking but I am found of the boots.
Last fall I purchased a pair of Indy cigar cordovan in a size 11.5 (I believe from Shoe Mart). I almost went with the tanker boot cordovan 8.
I do like the Indy, but now I am considering also getting the tanker. I have a few questions:
How similar are these boots? I don't want shoes that look too much alike.
Are the heels thiner on the tankers thiner than the Indy's? I wear a size 11.5 and the Indy's have quite a substantial heel.
Last question, do I order the same size in tankers (Barrie)?

I don't own a pair of tankers but i do have shoes in both lasts. Most people are the same size in barrie and trubalance. However, some have said because of the hand sewn nature (gathering of material around the stitching) of the NST/tanker, it causes the barrie to fit a little tighter in the toe box than a ptb would. This should be considered if you are already tight, width wise, on the Trubalance.
post #34600 of 91421
Quote:
Originally Posted by advan031 View Post


cigar goodness...Alden of DC cap toe in grant.

MIND=BLOWN!
post #34601 of 91421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm33 View Post

Thanks to everyone who provided valuable input. I may just send them to Nick V. and see what he can do...

A wise decision indeed.
post #34602 of 91421
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


This is their standard company policy. Moreover, for issues of QC - based on experience and what I have been told - they require that the shoes come from the retailer, not the customer.

 

I did not have a problem them, as it really was not a QC issue, I was sized incorrectly and the shoes were big.  I ended up selling them on eBay. 

post #34603 of 91421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olifter View Post

I did not have a problem them, as it really was not a QC issue, I was sized incorrectly and the shoes were big.  I ended up selling them on eBay. 

ok

I was just stating Alden's policy.
post #34604 of 91421
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post


Where are the captoe makeups from originally?

Shoemart seconds list, they were made for Bellerose.

post #34605 of 91421
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrmj View Post

Shoemart seconds list, they were made for Bellerose.

 

was hoping you'd chime in, I couldnt remember. 

 

hurry up and sell those natty boots before I have to take them off your hands.. on a preorder for leffot for natty indys the end of this yr, getting impatient lol

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***