or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2268

post #34006 of 94509

Does anyone know where I can get a boot like this one (especially the Ravello) with a commando / lug / dainite sole? 

 

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens-9-eyelet-wing-tip-boot-shell-cordovan-ravello-shell-cordovan/pvc-ald-mxsbd-44621h_ald_m_9_eyelet_wing_tip_boot_shell_cordovan.html

 

I'm planning these as my big splurge for the fall, but I want them to be somewhat weather resistant. 

post #34007 of 94509

My short answer is no.  But if it's that important to you B Nelson or another cobbler can re-sole the boots for you for a nominal fee.  Maybe not the answer you were looking for but something to consider.

 

Sweet boots BTW  .  .  .

 

post #34008 of 94509
grendel!!!

my cobbler glued on a vibram-brand lugged sole onto a pair of old alden wingtips. i think it was $40 total:

ff3fd901_brown-lwb.png

dunno if it's as good as getting a full resole w/commando sole, but it did the job. just think of it as a commando topy. so, if nothing else pans out, you can get the shoemart joints, then head to your local cobbler and plunk down $40 or so.
post #34009 of 94509

^^^ Sounds like a pretty good idea  .  .  .

post #34010 of 94509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post

grendel!!!
my cobbler glued on a vibram-brand lugged sole onto a pair of old alden wingtips. i think it was $40 total:
ff3fd901_brown-lwb.png
dunno if it's as good as getting a full resole w/commando sole, but it did the job. just think of it as a commando topy. so, if nothing else pans out, you can get the shoemart joints, then head to your local cobbler and plunk down $40 or so.

 

Good suggestion... That may be the way I go. 

post #34011 of 94509
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

My short answer is no.  But if it's that important to you B Nelson or another cobbler can re-sole the boots for you for a nominal fee.  Maybe not the answer you were looking for but something to consider.

Sweet boots BTW  .  .  .


These boots are great; however, I had quite an odd experience with them. They gave me crazy right knee pain - unlike anything I had had before - or since. I had to return them. And it caused me enough concern that I didn't even want an exchange. frown.gif
post #34012 of 94509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
grendel!!!
my cobbler glued on a vibram-brand lugged sole onto a pair of old alden wingtips. i think it was $40 total:
ff3fd901_brown-lwb.png
dunno if it's as good as getting a full resole w/commando sole, but it did the job. just think of it as a commando topy. so, if nothing else pans out, you can get the shoemart joints, then head to your local cobbler and plunk down $40 or so.
Who's your cobbler?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post

if i was starting over and had unlimited choices:
unionmade beale cigar dovers
#8 punched captoe boot from j crew
BBBF black shell longwing (can't believe nobody has these on their top 3)
if i ever find a decent deal on the j crew boots, i'm going to sell my #8 wingtip boots and get the j crews instead. i think one pair of brogues is enough for me given how business casual my workplace is.
+1
post #34013 of 94509
^ its because no one can find that makeup anymore. quit rubbing it in! smile.gif
post #34014 of 94509
For the top 3 out of the 7 Aldens I've owned
#4 Wingtip Boot
BBBF Black LWB
Ravello PTB on modified.

If I could get 3 now:
#4 wingtip
BBBF Black LWB
Ravello or Cigar Captoe

First two pairs of Aldens were the 404 and 403
post #34015 of 94509
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


These boots are great; however, I had quite an odd experience with them. They gave me crazy right knee pain - unlike anything I had had before - or since. I had to return them. And it caused me enough concern that I didn't even want an exchange. frown.gif


That's quite disturbing.  I wonder if something softer like a crepe sole would prevent that from happening.

post #34016 of 94509
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post

Does anyone know where I can get a boot like this one (especially the Ravello) with a commando / lug / dainite sole? 

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens-9-eyelet-wing-tip-boot-shell-cordovan-ravello-shell-cordovan/pvc-ald-mxsbd-44621h_ald_m_9_eyelet_wing_tip_boot_shell_cordovan.html

I'm planning these as my big splurge for the fall, but I want them to be somewhat weather resistant. 

If I were in the prediction business, I would say you would be lucky to get them by late 2013. The next round of ravello wt boots at TSM, as I understand things, are already spoken for.
post #34017 of 94509
underrated shoe imo: #8 shortwing on Plaza last from Brooks Brothers
post #34018 of 94509
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

underrated shoe imo: #8 shortwing on Plaza last from Brooks Brothers

I assume you mean the shortwing bal from BB. I agree it is underrated (I have it in black shell). The factory shortwing bal on the Tremont (I have it in color 8, wore it yesterday) is also underrated. Frankly, Alden shell bals get little discussion on this thread vs. bluchers.

The BB version is actually on the M-75 last (similar to Plaza). I am 100% certain of it, and it has been confirmed from an Alden rep at the Alden factory. Although it is very possible you were told Plaza by a BB worker (workers who, in my experience, know precious little about Alden shoes).
post #34019 of 94509
About a year or so Winn Perry did a brown/burgundy pebble grain captoe boots that a lot of people wanted, but were not able to get. They look a lot like these new J. Crews...except the J. Crew's version has commando sole.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/JCrewingoodcompany/Alden/PRDOVR~90863/90863.jsp
post #34020 of 94509
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

I assume you mean the shortwing bal from BB. I agree it is underrated (I have it in black shell). The factory shortwing bal on the Tremont (I have it in color 8, wore it yesterday) is also underrated. Frankly, Alden shell bals get little discussion on this thread vs. bluchers.
The BB version is actually on the M-75 last (similar to Plaza). I am 100% certain of it, and it has been confirmed from an Alden rep at the Alden factory. Although it is very possible you were told Plaza by a BB worker (workers who, in my experience, know precious little about Alden shoes).

interesting. this is news to me
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***