or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2239

post #33571 of 87516
^ if only it was 7.5d...

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #33572 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Great shoes. Alden should make more cordovan bals

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

I've been looking for a pair just like those cigar cap toes.  Nice catch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCowperwood View Post

Hampton last? These are very nice. Agree with the comment that Alden should do more of this style.

Thank you. They are on the Hampton Last.
post #33573 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post

nice chukkas, but what's going on with your pants in this pic??

Ha! Nothing ever gets by you guys. I'm not sure why my pants look like that. May have been the angle my knees were at when I took them. Might have been a slight breeze too.
post #33574 of 87516
I'm considering a pair of Alden loafers for the first time. Do any of them have a cork innersole? If so, which ones?

I'm looking for comfort and not just plain leather inner soles of a typical moccasin type construction.
post #33575 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG WONG View Post

Ha! Nothing ever gets by you guys. I'm not sure why my pants look like that. May have been the angle my knees were at when I took them. Might have been a slight breeze too.

haha, no worries man...I think the snark comes with being on SF for too long
post #33576 of 87516

Fellow mac method users:

 

I was practicing the method on my #8 LWBs and RL Marlow shortwings a few days ago. Worked great as always on the LWBs, but I noticed these significant creases developing on the Marlows; similar creases are nowhere near as prominent on my #8s. Rubbing them didn't help much.

 

FWIW I was caught briefly in a thunderstorm while wearing the Marlows earlier that day, but the water just rolled off the shell and I pat-dried it afterwards. Suggestions?

 

 

post #33577 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post

I'm considering a pair of Alden loafers for the first time. Do any of them have a cork innersole? If so, which ones?
I'm looking for comfort and not just plain leather inner soles of a typical moccasin type construction.

Cork insole with leather footbed. I have allen edmonds shoes with a cork insole, and my aldens have all molded as well or better. In my experience, they have taken longer to break in that AE.
post #33578 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by violethour1951 View Post

Fellow mac method users:

I was practicing the method on my #8 LWBs and RL Marlow shortwings a few days ago. Worked great as always on the LWBs, but I noticed these significant creases developing on the Marlows; similar creases are nowhere near as prominent on my #8s. Rubbing them didn't help much.

FWIW I was caught briefly in a thunderstorm while wearing the Marlows earlier that day, but the water just rolled off the shell and I pat-dried it afterwards. Suggestions?

Looks like welting from the water. Shell is unpredictable - water may do nothing or can cause welting on the membrane. My first LWBs have a similar problem on one of the shoes when it gets wet. Try using saphir renovateur and brushing.
post #33579 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post

I'm considering a pair of Alden loafers for the first time. Do any of them have a cork innersole? If so, which ones?
I'm looking for comfort and not just plain leather inner soles of a typical moccasin type construction.

I thought that every Alden shoe has a layer of cork in the insole, no?

post #33580 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post

Anyone know where I might find a 10.5 E cigar LHS? Shoemart has 11 D (too much heel slippage) and 10.5 D (too tight in the front), but not 10.5 E -- which I think is the next size to try. They have it in color #8, so I might go with that if I can't find cigar.

I would think 11C would be the next size to try, assuming that the 11D was perfect length wise. (no space behind heel).  If its just a matter of the heel being too wide on the 11D (a common complaint for Van last), than that's what I'd do.  If the widest part of your foot fits in to the widest part of the shoe, than you probably have the right length and just need to go narrower.

 

What do you mean too tight in the front?  Your toes? or the top of your foot under the strap?  Slight tightness over the top of your foot is common for this model at first, and will go away after a few wears.  However, for some it is just so tight that the last won't work for them in any size.

 

Also, you can email Alden and they can usually tell you if anyone has the style in that size in stock.  That's how I found my 9Cs.

 

general@aldenshoe.com

 

Good Luck.

post #33581 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by plato View Post

Wanted to say, like another guy a few pages back, that I appreciate this forum and have learned a lot from reading this thread. By way of thanks, I offer a story and pictures.

Imagine this: you find a great cordovan makeup in a rare color that matches just what you have in mind. It happens to be an old makeup from a shop known on here, so it's not still available, having been long sold out. The website says there's another order for the coming year, so you decide to go to the store and put down some savings (think graduate student income) as a deposit to hold a pair in your size from the pre-order. You go, the people at the shop are nice and helpful, and you reserve a pair of the cordovan shoes. Things are going pretty well, and it's just a matter of the waiting game.

Now comes the twist in the tale. A little more than a month after putting down the deposit, you get an email from the shop saying that one stray pair, which was being held for a particular customer from the last order of the same shoe, has been released, since the other customer changed his mind and said he didn't want it. The pair is your size, and the shop offers it to you, if you just pay the balance minus your deposit. 

These are the shoes (which also demonstrate the variation in color of Ravello when photographed in different light, with or without flash):


enjoy wearing in good health
post #33582 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by marg View Post


Looks like welting from the water. Shell is unpredictable - water may do nothing or can cause welting on the membrane. My first LWBs have a similar problem on one of the shoes when it gets wet. Try using saphir renovateur and brushing.

Yes, feed it some reno. I've had a similar issue on some #8 shoes and it helped quite a bit.

post #33583 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Learning to love whiskey...
Alden DC Whiskey Indy
RRL low straights, soon to be hemmed for the peak denim season.

Alden DC Whiskey balmoral wingtips. 10E fits perfectly in this (FWIW my 9.5E barrie longwings look essentially the same size as this shoe)

I feel like whiskey is the toughest color to wear but also offers the most upside

nephew,
good looking whiskey
post #33584 of 87516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

I would think 11C would be the next size to try, assuming that the 11D was perfect length wise. (no space behind heel).  If its just a matter of the heel being too wide on the 11D (a common complaint for Van last), than that's what I'd do.  If the widest part of your foot fits in to the widest part of the shoe, than you probably have the right length and just need to go narrower.

What do you mean too tight in the front?  Your toes? or the top of your foot under the strap?  Slight tightness over the top of your foot is common for this model at first, and will go away after a few wears.  However, for some it is just so tight that the last won't work for them in any size.

Also, you can email Alden and they can usually tell you if anyone has the style in that size in stock.  That's how I found my 9Cs.

general@aldenshoe.com

Good Luck.

I concur in the judgment of Bakes11771. nod[1].gif

For the van last, i have to go with my barrie size minus one width (9D to 9C).
post #33585 of 87516
1jnod3.jpg
2a9pdts.jpg
nst ravello boot
argyles otc
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***