Just spend enough time here and you'll be posting close-up pics of yourself in argyle socks and calling men you've never met uncle. I don't know which is worse.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAldentagged by SYSTEM, 7/31/11
- itemAlden Black Balmoral Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Oxfordtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toetagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukkatagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwingtagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Indy Boot 405tagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Ravello Shell Long Wing Bluchertagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Sand Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- itemAlden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boottagged by LA Guy, 1/23/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/20/11More
- topicShell Cordovantagged by violethour1951, 5/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 7/14/15 at 9:19am in Classic Menswear
- 7/11 Drops #4 Shell Cordovan Alden Saddle Shoes, Alden pebble grain, BB bucks Last post on 7/29/11 at 4:24am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- BNIB First Quality Alden Shell Cordovan 2145 9.5D $385 Last post on 4/15/11 at 2:53pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The ultimate shoe collection clearance, sizes 8-9½US, Alden, Vass, cordovan etc. Last post on 4/10/11 at 10:55am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not? Last post on 4/4/14 at 1:25am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2200
Styleforum Top Picks
They are really nice ... And not in a 9e ... Sigh ...
In the last few days there has been some back and forth about shell v. calf on the AE thread. I added a comment or two about it. Below I am reproducing a post I made over on that thread earlier today. I would highly recommend each shoe pictured, particularly if your dress is of the business professional variety.
For a second those photos made me wish I had pre-ordered cordovan instead of calf. I don't have any alden calf yet though, and these will fit my needs well. This is also my first plaza and I'm kinda excited.
I've owned my first pair of Aldens for a couple weeks now and just wanted to thank you guys for providing a great forum. I based much of my purchase decision on your posts and it was on this thread that I heard about the Tom Austin sale that made it possible to get my first pair. I bought a color 8 longwing floor model that was lovingly restored to somewhat match the left, which sat quietly in a box since 2002. They couldn't be considered firsts or even seconds, but it's the imperfections and mismatched color that endear them to me.
Though this will surely be shunned by the argyle devotees, I usually wear mine without socks. I prefer the feel of the shoes directly on my feet and think the aesthetic bears a sense of candor to which I'm partial. I get a lot of crap for this from the older crowd at work, but I enjoy that as well. I might even be referred to as a 'hipster' by a few, but my intent to support quality, American made products is as genuine as the next person posting here.
I've bought three shoes in the past couple months and am hoping my spending soon begins to wane. In addition to the #8 longwing, I have the The Bureau Kudu Boot and may be getting some #8 Indy Boots if I'm lucky enough to end up in the minority who has a decent experience with North River Outfitter. I'm surprised by the lack of love for kudu on this thread but caveat this sentiment by saying I do not own any chromexcel. It's a bigger test of will to rest my kudu boots than anything else I own.
Anyway, thanks for maintaining such a quality thread. I'm having a lot of fun on here.
Not to worry - the calf is a very nice shoe as well.
Interesting that it is on the Aberdeen (a last which I happen to like, among others). Boot models don't see the Aberdeen much. It no doubt has a narrower presentation than does the Barrie.
I've been posting in this thread since page 5 and I have no idea where the weird uncle/nephew dynamic came from, only that it's been around a long time. I assume it's one of those message board phenomema which is hilarious if you happen to observe its emergence in real time, and which is just weird and inexplicable if you weren't there at the moment of creation.
I'm not sure mcarthur can be considered a "big homie".
- ***The official Alden thread ***
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 49 seconds ago
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Jacket Basics? 1 minute ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 4 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 5 minutes ago
- › ***....Falcon Garments - Official Affiliate Thread....*** MTM/MTO... 8 minutes ago
- › I want to get married, 8 minutes ago
- › ***Story Et Fall Thread*** 10 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015