or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2188

post #32806 of 87462
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post

lol you need some more contrast between sock and trou. looks like you're wearing charcoal leggings! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

So are you saying you don't wear leggings on casual Fridays? satisfied.gif

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #32807 of 87462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hardy View Post

The solution to that sloppy feel is to have a third eyelet added to the chukka as I have done to all mine: Color 8, Black, Cigar, & Whiskey (all shell cordovan).

If possible, could you post pictures?
post #32808 of 87462
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post



I've ordered a pair of these (J Crew) and am thinking that I would prefer the edging not to be black or that dark.  So I'm wondering if I could carefully sand off the black on the edging and treat it with say, an antique type color dressing?

I know I'd be giving up some ability to wear the boots for dressier occasions but I don't mind that.  Has anybody attempted something like this themselves?

I saved the following quote from a couple hundred or so pages ago. Should still work. I apologize that I did not record the name of who did it.
Quote:
I first sanded off the black with a 140 grade sandpaper. This took about an hour to do and caused at least one blister on my thumb. After this was finished I re-sanded again with a fine grain 220 sandpaper and this made the leather really smooth. I then took some Meletonian medium brown shoe cream and rubbed it into the exposed leather. I did this twice and then buffed with a brush. After this I took some darker brown cream and did the same thing (just the medium brown gave the edge a orange color but adding the darker brown gave it almost an antique look). I made sure the cream had dried and then I applied two coats of a satin finish polyurethane that I got from Lowes. It took about 2 hours total time.
post #32809 of 87462
post #32810 of 87462
since no one else has posted this beauty:

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/08/02/alden-shoe-cigar-tanker-boot-lsw/

there is no better alden style/makeup
post #32811 of 87462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewbone View Post
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

700

I've ordered a pair of these (J Crew) and am thinking that I would prefer the edging not to be black or that dark. So I'm wondering if I could carefully sand off the black on the edging and treat it with say, an antique type color dressing?

I know I'd be giving up some ability to wear the boots for dressier occasions but I don't mind that. Has anybody attempted something like this themselves?


I saved the following quote from a couple hundred or so pages ago. Should still work. I apologize that I did not record the name of who did it.

Quote:
I first sanded off the black with a 140 grade sandpaper. This took about an hour to do and caused at least one blister on my thumb. After this was finished I re-sanded again with a fine grain 220 sandpaper and this made the leather really smooth. I then took some Meletonian medium brown shoe cream and rubbed it into the exposed leather. I did this twice and then buffed with a brush. After this I took some darker brown cream and did the same thing (just the medium brown gave the edge a orange color but adding the darker brown gave it almost an antique look). I made sure the cream had dried and then I applied two coats of a satin finish polyurethane that I got from Lowes. It took about 2 hours total time.

 

 

Thanks, Stewbone.  That was really helpful.  I did a quick search and didn't find that quote and not sure I would have.  Much appreciated.

post #32812 of 87462
Quote:
Originally Posted by closerlook View Post

since no one else has posted this beauty:
http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/08/02/alden-shoe-cigar-tanker-boot-lsw/
there is no better alden style/makeup

Reasonable minds have been known to disagree. biggrin.gif

But a nice boot nevertheless.
post #32813 of 87462
Has anyone here ever modified their Alden tassel loafers to remove the tassels? I'm fond of the shoe but not the tassels. I'd prefer a simple bow like this:

tumblr_m7b77bWiCk1qfbji5o1_1280.jpg
post #32814 of 87462
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post



I've ordered a pair of these (J Crew) and am thinking that I would prefer the edging not to be black or that dark.  So I'm wondering if I could carefully sand off the black on the edging and treat it with say, an antique type color dressing?

I know I'd be giving up some ability to wear the boots for dressier occasions but I don't mind that.  Has anybody attempted something like this themselves?

Remove black edging with sandpaper (very coarse). Wipe off residue and dust. Use AE chili edge/sole dressing applying only to about 5 inches of the sole at a time (be sure to wipe off excess dressing so there is no build-up and the finish is smooth), This will provide a medium brown/antiqued look, with a hint of red. nod[1].gif You will be sweaty before you are done. I have done it numerous times, sometimes using AE brown instead of chili.

AE chili dressing is amazingly versatile, and I have used it for whiskey, ravello, and cigar shells, as well as for calf in walnut, chili, medium brown, and dark brown.

I recently had a pair of color 8 shell tassels restored at BNelson with the JR package and had Nick replace my black edging with antique edging. It makes the shoe more casual, but that's okay with me. For my money, any slip-on necessarily trends towards casual anyhow.

Good luck.
post #32815 of 87462
Bateman - what jeans? Also, my business cards are nicer.
post #32816 of 87462
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post


Remove black edging with sandpaper (very coarse). Wipe off residue and dust. Use AE chili edge/sole dressing applying only to about 5 inches of the sole at a time (be sure to wipe off excess dressing so there is no build-up and the finish is smooth), This will provide a medium brown/antiqued look, with a hint of red. nod[1].gif You will be sweaty before you are done. I have done it numerous times, sometimes using AE brown instead of chili.
AE chili dressing is amazingly versatile, and I have used it for whiskey, ravello, and cigar shells, as well as for calf in walnut, chili, medium brown, and dark brown.
I recently had a pair of color 8 shell tassels restored at BNelson with the JR package and had Nick replace my black edging with antique edging. It makes the shoe more casual, but that's okay with me. For my money, any slip-on necessarily trends towards casual anyhow.
Good luck.

Awesome.  Thanks, 7-Fold.  What you had BNelson do for your #8 tassels is exactly how I want the #8 PCT boots to look, with antique edging. When you get a chance, could you post a pic of your #8 tassels? 

post #32817 of 87462
Quote:
Originally Posted by marg View Post

Bateman - what jeans? Also, my business cards are nicer.

The Armoury I believe (not my photo).
post #32818 of 87462
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Bateman View Post

Has anyone here ever modified their Alden tassel loafers to remove the tassels? I'm fond of the shoe but not the tassels. I'd prefer a simple bow like this:
tumblr_m7b77bWiCk1qfbji5o1_1280.jpg

i am bias, i like the tassel
post #32819 of 87462
2ihm0m1.jpg
cigar lhs
34yahah.jpg
post #32820 of 87462
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

2ihm0m1.jpg
cigar lhs


I like very much uncle!  Are those antique edging or a dark brown?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***