or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2173

post #32581 of 98974
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseHide View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

I wonder if there is some sort of explanation behind the scarcity of quality shells that has led to the shortage of whiskey and ravello.

Is Horween the new De Beers - propping up the shell cordovan market artificially? Will we start reading about "conflict shell"? uhoh.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmottan View Post

Their service is shameful. They can't help the customers decently. It seems that you disturb them when you walk in...

My first reaction was - THEY'RE FRENCH, but maybe there's more to the story. Maybe they are the European partners of NRO?


worship.gif lol...

post #32582 of 98974
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseHide View Post

Please don't take this the wrong way, but who cares what's causing the light color shell shortage? There aren't a lot of ravello, whiskey and cigar Aldens in the immediate future - if that information will somehow inform how you approach the upcoming week, great. Otherwise, does it make any difference if it's part of a grand conspiracy or it's due to fat horses with stretch marks on their asses?

Since Rob got to rant earlier I figure it's ok for me too...


rotflmao.gif I was thinking the same thing too, but interesting story/hypothesis nevertheless.

post #32583 of 98974
Alden is the pre-2009 GM. Heaven forbid people lose interest in clunky, overpriced, and poorly constructed shoes in favor of competitively priced, forward looking shoe companies that offer twice as much for your money.

"In shell cordovan we trust"
post #32584 of 98974
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

Alden is the pre-2009 GM. Heaven forbid people lose interest in clunky, overpriced, and poorly constructed shoes in favor of competitively priced, forward looking shoe companies that offer twice as much for your money.
"In shell cordovan we trust"

This is great.

I'd been monitoring Meermin for a while, but PTO's favorable review has put them up on my "next-to-try" list. Also Andrew Lock shoes could be something competitive in a few years.
post #32585 of 98974
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseHide View Post

Please don't take this the wrong way, but who cares what's causing the light color shell shortage? There aren't a lot of ravello, whiskey and cigar Aldens in the immediate future - if that information will somehow inform how you approach the upcoming week, great. Otherwise, does it make any difference if it's part of a grand conspiracy or it's due to fat horses with stretch marks on their asses?
Since Rob got to rant earlier I figure it's ok for me too...

 

No offense taken.  Just thought it was an appropriate post since it directly pertains to the subject of this thread and the shortage of those colors had been discussed previously, so I presumed it was fair game for discussion.  I guess differe't things are interesting to different people.

post #32586 of 98974
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

This is great.
I'd been monitoring Meermin for a while, but PTO's favorable review has put them up on my "next-to-try" list. Also Andrew Lock shoes could be something competitive in a few years.

Don't be so quick to jump on Meermin, they're basically assembled in China and finished in Spain...Carmina on the other hand...
post #32587 of 98974
It seems that peopel have been able to grab stock rare cordovan models from a variety of retailers (Alden of DC, Alden NYC, Alden SF, Alden Carmel, etc) over the past few months. I know Alden Madison is getting whiskey every now and then. If you want a stock model, just contact one of these stores and get on a list. Custom makeups seem to be harder to come by.
post #32588 of 98974
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

Alden is the pre-2009 GM. Heaven forbid people lose interest in clunky, overpriced, and poorly constructed shoes in favor of competitively priced, forward looking shoe companies that offer twice as much for your money.
"In shell cordovan we trust"

Eh, I think I'll do some Alden defending here

1) Carmina is doing some great work with Epaulet, but on a smaller scale. Plus, the styling is frankly different, which gets me to #2

2) The clunkiness of Alden shoes are a feature, not a bug... The styling doesn't work for everyone, but for the customers it does work for, it is pretty unique and desired

3) Stock cordovan shoes seem to be going for $750-$800 for full retail these days. Marlows are hard to come by now on sale anymore, and are priced at $850. I think Marlows are worth every penny at $850, and if that is so, Alden rare cordovan at $710 and color 8/black at $650 seems fairly priced

4) No one is really doing chromexcel/suede makeups as well as Alden right now, as far as I can tell
post #32589 of 98974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Eh, I think I'll do some Alden defending here
1) Carmina is doing some great work with Epaulet, but on a smaller scale. Plus, the styling is frankly different, which gets me to #2
2) The clunkiness of Alden shoes are a feature, not a bug... The styling doesn't work for everyone, but for the customers it does work for, it is pretty unique and desired
3) Stock cordovan shoes seem to be going for $750-$800 for full retail these days. Marlows are hard to come by now on sale anymore, and are priced at $850. I think Marlows are worth every penny at $850, and if that is so, Alden rare cordovan at $710 and color 8/black at $650 seems fairly priced
4) No one is really doing chromexcel/suede makeups as well as Alden right now, as far as I can tell

To add to that ...

Alden makes numerous models in shell that no one else in the world makes.
post #32590 of 98974
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

Alden is the pre-2009 GM. Heaven forbid people lose interest in clunky, overpriced, and poorly constructed shoes in favor of competitively priced, forward looking shoe companies that offer twice as much for your money.
"In shell cordovan we trust"

 

[sources needed]

 

Examples, please.

 

Not made in America? Not interested.

post #32591 of 98974
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioImpemba View Post

 

[sources needed]

 

Examples, please.

 

Not made in America? Not interested.

 

Just curious, why would you only be interested in shoes that are made in America? Doesn't that basically limit you to only Allen Edmonds and Alden? Yes I love my Aldens but the comparison in quality and styling to Carmina, Edward Green, Gaziano & Girling, etc is a no brainer in my opinion.

post #32592 of 98974
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0waterbouys View Post

Just curious, why would you only be interested in shoes that are made in America? Doesn't that basically limit you to only Allen Edmonds and Alden? Yes I love my Aldens but the comparison in quality and styling to Carmina, Edward Green, Gaziano & Girling, etc is a no brainer in my opinion.

I like EG, Gaziano & Girling, and they tend to be better made shoes than Alden when it is all said and done. They do, however, cost twice as much as Aldens on a comparable basis (when using the same type of leather, for example). Edward Green cordovan starts I believe at $1,400 or so. I don't see the high end English sheomakers as direct comparison to Alden. Crockett and Jones and Church's are a more direct competitors.
post #32593 of 98974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post


I like EG, Gaziano & Girling, and they tend to be better made shoes than Alden when it is all said and done. They do, however, cost twice as much as Aldens on a comparable basis (when using the same type of leather, for example). Edward Green cordovan starts I believe at $1,400 or so. I don't see the high end English sheomakers as direct comparison to Alden. Crockett and Jones and Church's are a more direct competitors.


Oh, I completely agree, they aren't a direct comparison at all. I was mainly just trying to ask why he would knowingly limit his own selection. It's fine if he does (we all can do whatever the hell we want) I'm just interested in the reason why.

post #32594 of 98974
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0waterbouys View Post

Just curious, why would you only be interested in shoes that are made in America? Doesn't that basically limit you to only Allen Edmonds and Alden? Yes I love my Aldens but the comparison in quality and styling to Carmina, Edward Green, Gaziano & Girling, etc is a no brainer in my opinion.

Also, when it comes to cordovan, frankly, I'm not sure I see the value of EG/G&G over Alden, the RL Marlow line or even Allen Edmonds. Calfskin, sure, the British lines are awesome.

Is this shoe:
http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2011/11/17/edward-green-sandringham-in-cognac-crup-lsw/

Twice the shoe as these two? Because it is twice the cost.
http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/05/08/alden-shoe-ravello-shortwing-restock-lsw/

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1812819&cp=1760781.1898623&ab=ln_men_cs2_shoes&parentPage=family
post #32595 of 98974
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0waterbouys View Post


Oh, I completely agree, they aren't a direct comparison at all. I was mainly just trying to ask why he would knowingly limit his own selection. It's fine if he does (we all can do whatever the hell we want) I'm just interested in the reason why.

A lot of the Alden love from this thread in elsewhere is based on Americana, heritage, etc. It's not the main reason I'm drawn to the brand but I can see why others place a high priority on made in the USA. I do agree that people who only do made in the USA are missing out on some great products
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***