or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2155

post #32311 of 87611
16kojm.jpg
black tassel
argyles otc
4udjr9.jpg
Edited by mcarthur - 7/20/12 at 10:41am

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #32312 of 87611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Anyone own this shoe? Looks like a great wet weather option...
http://www.unionmadegoods.com/Alden_Bryant_Derosa_Wingtip_in_Smooth_Tobacco_Chamois_3213.html

I came close to ordering but I am not familiar with the smooth tobacco chamois, or how to care for it. It's a very nice and tempting makeup though.
post #32313 of 87611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Anyone own this shoe? Looks like a great wet weather option...
http://www.unionmadegoods.com/Alden_Bryant_Derosa_Wingtip_in_Smooth_Tobacco_Chamois_3213.html

I am a BIG fan of these. They have worn very well on some very sloppy NY days! I have also worn them sockless with shorts on a few sunny days.

 

 

700

post #32314 of 87611
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt2gt View Post

Question....anyone dyed Alden Burnished Tan or attempted to darken it. I really need/want some medium to dark shortwing bluchers. I don't think I will find the RL Marlows at the my price and size. Any thoughts on dying or darkening these burnished tan beauties from Alden.
700

 

I was actually thinking about doing the same exact thing with that model.  Not having the guts to do it myself, I did contact the guys at B Nelson about whether it was possible and if they would do so.  Needless to say, they do for about $70.  Please let me know how it turns out -- if you do it.

post #32315 of 87611
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeebs View Post

shoes that all seem the same to her, yet are dramatically different to you

i died a little on the inside when my wife thought that my Unionmade Beales (plain toe, cigar, low top, crepe sole) looked the same as my #8 wingtip boots. musicboohoo[1].gif
post #32316 of 87611
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner View Post

i died a little on the inside when my wife thought that my Unionmade Beales (plain toe, cigar, low top, crepe sole) looked the same as my #8 wingtip boots. musicboohoo[1].gif

A very sad day indeed. nod[1].gif

My condolences, and good luck. biggrin.gif
post #32317 of 87611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

Anyone own this shoe? Looks like a great wet weather option...
http://www.unionmadegoods.com/Alden_Bryant_Derosa_Wingtip_in_Smooth_Tobacco_Chamois_3213.html

I received them Wednesday.




Although I think the color in JPFNY5's picture is closer to how they really look. I like them a lot.
post #32318 of 87611
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt2gt View Post

Question....anyone dyed Alden Burnished Tan or attempted to darken it. I really need/want some medium to dark shortwing bluchers. I don't think I will find the RL Marlows at the my price and size. Any thoughts on dying or darkening these burnished tan beauties from Alden.

Check out my post about Saphir.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/306841/first-time-using-saphir-products#post_5572433
post #32319 of 87611
Hey brothers....anyone here had any success with Alden making an exception to their policy of resoling a shoe on the same last it originally came with? I have a pair of black wingtips and while I have no problem with the hampton last I just want to re-sole and add some more character to the shoes instead of the black on black. White welt, tan heel, something fucking slick like this would be ideal

http://imgur.com/oWVBD

I'm in the bay area and had them stitch a pair of indys for me a few years ago so I'm wondering if they'd be more flexible to what I want as I'm local versus their mail-in resole service. I also ask here because I'm not exactly sure how to articulate what it is I want if I call in and try to talk shop.
post #32320 of 87611
They pretty much have to use the same last, I don't think you can relast on a different shaped last without screwing up the shape of the shoe. Couldn't hurt to ask of course! Last year I had luck getting them to size a pair of suede LWBs down for me, from 9.5D to 9E. They also changed out the sole from a commando to double leather - HOWEVER, they ignored or missed my request for antique edge trim, and used the dark brown. No big deal in the long run, of course.

I dropped them off in person at the SF store, who were extremely helpful and will comfirm your request with the factory before shipping them back.
post #32321 of 87611
Is there a way to ask for the same last but to get the sole/heel/stitching in a different color? This is the pair in question: http://aldenmadisonny.com/903.jpg what could I say to have them change the black sole and heel to brown/tan? The welt also needs to be changed out for white.
post #32322 of 87611
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar View Post


IMO i'd stick with the j.crew and the roys. I find natural CXL to be a hard color to pair with a lot of outfits...and have it flow.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post


agreed

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDave View Post


As someone currently wearing natural CXL boots, I agree. I love mine, but "versatile" is not something I would call them.

 

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I just got the natural CXL plain toe on Modified from the Shoe Mart today. First thought was, "Geez, it really is narrow," but then I put them on and it was like butter. Really loving the CXL. While I think the Trubalance last fits me a little better than Modified, I think I look better in the Modified's slimmer look due to my small legs.

 

I think I'm going to go with keeping this pair and returning the J.Crew. Like you guys said, that pair would be more versatile, but I saw a pair of single monks on Alden Shop of SF's site for sale and a few Sid Mashburn double monks on eBay that I have my eye on that would fill that work appropriate category...the shoe addiction sets in quick.

I'll throw up some photos of the natty chromexcel in a bit; I'm still enjoying wearing them and I just got home so it's time to pour out a pint cheers.gif

 

Not a bad way to spend a Friday. Cheers.

post #32323 of 87611
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFNY5 View Post

I am a BIG fan of these. They have worn very well on some very sloppy NY days! I have also worn them sockless with shorts on a few sunny days.



Very very nice. Looking for an oil chamois or something similar.
post #32324 of 87611
Quote:
Originally Posted by float View Post

Is there a way to ask for the same last but to get the sole/heel/stitching in a different color? This is the pair in question: http://aldenmadisonny.com/903.jpg what could I say to have them change the black sole and heel to brown/tan? The welt also needs to be changed out for white.

Why don't you check out B Nelson in NYC?  They are a primo recrafter that has a lot of cred on SF.  Their turnaround time is much faster than Alden.  I haven't used them myself yet but when I need to I will definitely use them rather than trusting any local cobbler.

post #32325 of 87611
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

Why don't you check out B Nelson in NYC?  They are a primo recrafter that has a lot of cred on SF.  Their turnaround time is much faster than Alden.  I haven't used them myself yet but when I need to I will definitely use them rather than trusting any local cobbler.

If you check out the B Nelson thread I actually just aired my grievances about apparently being barred from service because he tried to charge me an extra $80 for the welts that he apparently rarely charges others and as I asked about that rather than blindly pay it he doesn't seem to want my business all together now. I don't mind Alden's wait time or their price quotes I just want to know what to ask for.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***