or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2127

post #31891 of 98726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick V. View Post

Sure it could be done.....We do it all the time.

Thanks you for the reply! You may see me in store soon!
post #31892 of 98726
Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce View Post

Question..I received a pair of Cigar Chukkas today from the Madison Ave. store. I applied Alden rain defender (lightly) as recommended by the salesperson. When I buffed them out, the white cloth had what looked like black poiish on it. Is this normal? Does Alden apply black wax over the brown for their cigar cordovan? Also, one of the shoes is slightly darker than the other...is this common? Thanks for the help and advice!
467
It's hard to tell in the photo, but the left boot is slightly darker......nothing drastic. The cloth sure looks like black to me.........It seems weird that they would recommend a product that removes polish (it's actually called Leather Defender) from a brand new shoe......
post #31893 of 98726
Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce View Post

467
It's hard to tell in the photo, but the left boot is slightly darker......nothing drastic.

 

I can notice the difference just in this thumbnail image on my laptop screen - not something I would accept lightly in a +$600 shoe. Unfortunate =/

 

EDIT: Though you could probably even them out by simply placing the darker one outside under the sun.

post #31894 of 98726
Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce View Post

467
It's hard to tell in the photo, but the left boot is slightly darker......nothing drastic. The cloth sure looks like black to me.........It seems weird that they would recommend a product that removes polish (it's actually called Leather Defender) from a brand new shoe......

It probably wasn't the Leather Defender, there was likely wax on the shoe - I've applied Leather Defender to new cordovan shoes with no issue. Regarding the color, the left is slightly darker - you could attempt a return if it bothers you. Cigar chukkas are rare though, so you have to weigh if you want to wait for a new pair.
post #31895 of 98726
Thanks for the replies. Yeah........Cigar is a little harder to come by, and they'd probably have to special order................After a week of wear, it might not be noticeable (trying to convince myself)
post #31896 of 98726
No, if it's a problem call the Alden shop right away. See if you have the option to return or exchange.
post #31897 of 98726
Can anyone name me some stores in Chicago area what stock Alden?
post #31898 of 98726
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmivtr View Post

Nice uncle
#8 with my khaki suit... not sure if I'm liking the combination.
Untitled

nephew,
thank you
looking good in #8 nst
past in the future on that combination
post #31899 of 98726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo 360T View Post

I have the best office mate in the world.

Cigar LWB from AoC

350x469px-LL-1253dcb5_photo3.jpeg

you certainly do both four legged and two legged
post #31900 of 98726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighlon View Post

Very Nice Uncle, Love the Ravellos.  All the wingtips lately on the forums are making me trigger happy.
I have to ask since I'm only a newbie(bought my first pair last June) to Aldens, "How old is your oldest pair?"
Every pair you have looks meticulously well cared for.
I know I probably speak for the majority here when I say you inspire the rest of us to maintain our own Aldens.

nephew,
thank you
i have at least 6 pairs that are in the forty years range. aldens will last a life tine
remember shells are addictive
post #31901 of 98726
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post

Thanks you for the reply! You may see me in store soon!

nephew,
highly recommend nick and you will find that you have both a lot in common
post #31902 of 98726
Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce View Post

Question..I received a pair of Cigar Chukkas today from the Madison Ave. store. I applied Alden rain defender (lightly) as recommended by the salesperson. When I buffed them out, the white cloth had what looked like black poiish on it. Is this normal? Does Alden apply black wax over the brown for their cigar cordovan? Also, one of the shoes is slightly darker than the other...is this common? Thanks for the help and advice!

Shell has variations. nod[1].gif It is all what you can live with. If you can exchange them for the same pair in the same size, then do it - but most times this is not possible with exotic shells. Over the years I have had to return a handful of pairs due to color variations I personally could not live with. In recent times I was going to acquire a certain cigar model. The CS gentlemen told me one shoe was lighter in color than the other. I asked him to email me a pic. He did so. I did not buy them - too much variation for my liking.
post #31903 of 98726
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsekh View Post

Can anyone name me some stores in Chicago area what stock Alden?

 

Hanig's Footwear in the Hancock tower has a staple selection of Aldens (no exotic shells like Ravello/Whiskey, however) -- the gentlemen there are very courteous and helpful, I'd highly recommend.

 

Then there's Haberdash in River North... they have a selection of Aldens, but it's a very unfortunate experience shopping there unless you look like you walked out of a page in GQ.

post #31904 of 98726
Quote:
Originally Posted by violethour1951 View Post

 

Hanig's Footwear in the Hancock tower has a staple selection of Aldens (no exotic shells like Ravello/Whiskey, however) -- the gentlemen there are very courteous and helpful, I'd highly recommend.

 

Then there's Haberdash in River North... they have a selection of Aldens, but it's a very unfortunate experience shopping there unless you look like you walked out of a page in GQ.

 

I had an alright experience at Haberdash, nothing special but nothing terrible.  They did have paté though.

 

Edit: Wow, every single review for Hanig's mentions Vibram Five-fingers.  I didn't realize they were that big a deal to people.

post #31905 of 98726

long shot, but any shops in New Orleans? I'll be down next month. thanks!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***