or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2115

post #31711 of 87356
My #8 Cordovan Captoes from J. Gilbert arrived yesterday, although they made an unexplained trip to China after crossing the border to Canada. Fresh out of the box:

280
280

I'm so relieved they fit as well as they do - feels like they'll break in great! Quality of materials and workmanship seems first class all the way through... The Plaza last works well on a boot and the 'chisel' leaves room for the little toes on my wider than average foot (These are 10.5 D).

Big thumbs up to Yenni at J. Gilbert for good communication during the sale, especially since I live about 1300km from their store in Seattle! Now to save for next year's Alden purchase biggrin.gif

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #31712 of 87356
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrag View Post

My #8 Cordovan Captoes from J. Gilbert arrived yesterday, although they made an unexplained trip to China after crossing the border to Canada. Fresh out of the box:
280
280
I'm so relieved they fit as well as they do - feels like they'll break in great! Quality of materials and workmanship seems first class all the way through... The Plaza last works well on a boot and the 'chisel' leaves room for the little toes on my wider than average foot (These are 10.5 D).
Big thumbs up to Yenni at J. Gilbert for good communication during the sale, especially since I live about 1300km from their store in Seattle! Now to save for next year's Alden purchase biggrin.gif

enjoy wearing in good health
post #31713 of 87356
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrag View Post

My #8 Cordovan Captoes from J. Gilbert arrived yesterday
post #31714 of 87356
Sweet boots!
post #31715 of 87356
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrag View Post

My #8 Cordovan Captoes from J. Gilbert arrived yesterday, although they made an unexplained trip to China after crossing the border to Canada. Fresh out of the box:
280
280
I'm so relieved they fit as well as they do - feels like they'll break in great! Quality of materials and workmanship seems first class all the way through... The Plaza last works well on a boot and the 'chisel' leaves room for the little toes on my wider than average foot (These are 10.5 D).
Big thumbs up to Yenni at J. Gilbert for good communication during the sale, especially since I live about 1300km from their store in Seattle! Now to save for next year's Alden purchase biggrin.gif

That looks like an especially nice shade of #8.  Rich.

post #31716 of 87356
^It really does. Nice purchase.
post #31717 of 87356
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeebs View Post

^ the dark edge trim really transforms the ravello into a dressier shoe, and in my PTB, i appreciate that since i can wear it with suits as well as casual attire.

A true statement, IMO. It also does the same for cigar, but cigar looks wonderful with antique edging. So, in coordinating things with Nick V., I had him darken the welt, but leave the edging as is. The finished product was a very nice compromise. Now, looking at the shoe from the top down, it definitely has a dressier look, IMO. nod[1].gif
post #31718 of 87356

Hi Nick!  I have some new Whiskey LWB's and Chukka's coming.  I tend to wear the toes on the double soled loafers and have had recessed metal toe taps placed in those.  Do you think I should do the same with these lace ups?  Haven't worn a lace up in quite some time.  I wear these lace ups a little larger to allow for toe room whereby the loafers I wear 1/2 size down and the toes are at the front of the toe box, more of a moccasin fit.  Maybe this explains the excessive toe wear durning break-in.  Your thoughts?  I would be happy to send them to you for recessed taps... you charge ? for that service.  Thanks so much, you are so kind to answer all these questions on this site!  Good man!

post #31719 of 87356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguls View Post

Cigar with dark sole edging:
232

these are fantastic!
post #31720 of 87356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes11771 View Post

That looks like an especially nice shade of #8. Rich.

I concur. I have this boot - but on the Grant Last - and it is one of the richest color 8's I own.
post #31721 of 87356
f5brd2.jpg
#4 & black saddle
argyles otc
34qwscn.jpg
post #31722 of 87356
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

I concur. I have this boot - but on the Grant Last - and it is one of the richest color 8's I own.

Thanks all... it really is a rich, plum-like shade. Will be interesting to see how it develops over the years. It's silly but I love the flat laces & high number of eyelets on Alden boots.

Now to find a cordovan-esque belt!
post #31723 of 87356
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarthur View Post

f5brd2.jpg
#4 & black saddle
argyles otc
34qwscn.jpg

beautiful
post #31724 of 87356
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

beautiful

nephew,
thank you
post #31725 of 87356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Doble View Post


I think that is why I like it, although I believe the ravello LWB from AoC has a crepe sole, which I'm not sold on. Where did you get ravello PTBs, by the way?

 I got my Ravello PTBs at Alden SF about a month ago, was their last pair I believe.  Keep your eye out for these, it's seriously my favorite pair of my 10-12 pairs of Aldens!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***