or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2061

post #30901 of 86563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug9122 View Post

Originally Posted by zippyh View Post



 Spill some marinara on that super 200's suit?  You're out of luck.  Haven't broken the basting stitches and still have the tags attached?  Sure, we'll take it back.  

Its just that simple.


yeah, the size of AoC's shop shouldn't matter when it is accepting payments of 700 dollars.

we all know that alden's qc is down, and that means pairs of shoes may arrive at your door that are not to your standards. seriously, some of the shoes are just outrageous, while others are perfect. you should be able to return them for your money back. its fortunate that AoC refunded zippy, but that it doesn't go down like that for everyone is not cool.


edit: i should point out that i agree that once a pair of shoes is worn they absolutely cannot be returned (unless there is a defect that becomes apparent over time).

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #30902 of 86563
Quote:
Originally Posted by closerlook View Post

yeah, the size of AoC's shop shouldn't matter when it is accepting payments of 700 dollars.
we all know that alden's qc is down, and that means pairs of shoes may arrive at your door that are not to your standards. seriously, some of the shoes are just outrageous, while others are perfect. you should be able to return them for your money back. its fortunate that AoC refunded zippy, but that it doesn't go down like that for everyone is not cool.
edit: i should point out that i agree that once a pair of shoes is worn they absolutely cannot be returned (unless there is a defect that becomes apparent over time).

I personally have had no problems with AofC; nor did I have problems with the one pair I bought from there.

I have returned no fewer than 5 pairs of shells over the last couple of years due to QC issues.

The most absurd example was a pair of whiskey ptbs that showed up at my door in the following condition:
1. shoes different lengths on outsole by 1/4 inch - not good
2. one shoe was a few shades lighter than the other - not good (and I'm not talking about the expected variations in shell; I'm talking the kind of color difference were they should have went immediately to the "irregulars" pile.
I received a full refund without incident and told the retailer said shoes should not be sold as first quality (not sure if they resold them or not ....).
post #30903 of 86563

+1 to zippyh

Too many people abuse the return system. When I paid 700+ including shipping for a pair of shoes, I would anticipate the shoes, even dusk bags and shoe box, to be in pristine condition!
 

post #30904 of 86563
If anyone with the Black Shell LS SWBs in 9D wants to swap for the BBBF Black Shell LWB, hit me up.
post #30905 of 86563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug9122 View Post

Wow.  Your penetrating insight into Alden of Carmel's dysfunctional customer service really did leave me speechless. Gold star for you.

I never said I was going to abuse a return policy, I was merely making the observation that the only way for someone to feel comfortable making a $700 purchase is by buying from a vendor that appreciates the difficulties in getting fitted for Alden's various lasts.  That, or opt to live in one of a handful of metropolises that are well stocked with Alden's various offerings.  
Adam is fine with that. YOU are the one with the problem. The return policy is not prohibitive because people do buy from Alden of Carmel and it seems that they have a strong client base. Just because you do not like it does not mean there is anything wrong with it. YOU could open an online only shoe business (Not Alden at this time because I do not believe they are accepting new accounts) and have the bestest return policy ever! teacha.gif You can even let people return tires to you. crackup[1].gif But you won’t. Cause it is stupid.

There is nothing wrong with the AoC return policy. There is nothing wrong with your overblown sense of entitlement, but I would not want to deal with you and I have no problem with Adam not wanting to deal with you because he is not your mommy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug9122 View Post

Many retailers of high end goods have preposterously liberal return policies for the very reason that buyers of such goods are unlikely to abuse it.  Google the story about the guy who returned tires to a Nordstroms if you need some anecdotal evidence.

Shoemart has done quite well for itself by having a straightforward and respectable return policy--break the last, buy the shoe.  I cannot understand why Alden of Carmel fails to see the value doing the same.  That is all.  But hey, congratulations on being a pithy judgmental prick.  I'm sure its worked out swimmingly for you so far in life.
Good! Buy your Alden’s from Nordstrom. teacha.gif Problem solved! Just because you do not understand something does not mean that it is wrong. If we were limited to things you understand we would not have electricity, airplanes and door knobs. I feel lucky that I live in a world not limited to things YOU understand. If you ask Adam he will probably tell you why he has the return policy he has. It is not a secret. You just do not like it. As for the Norstrom tire story you say to Google it then later say you were told it by management at Nordstrom. To me you have a credibility problem and you are probably someone I would not wish to deal with since you are measuring shoes with a ruler and such. As for the problems you mentioned, if you received a pair of shoes that were two different colors and noticed when you opened the box and followed the AoC policy there is no question Adam would take them back.


As a side not even though I do not believe your story about the Tire’s at Nordstrom I will tell you that even if a manager told you it does not mean it is true.
post #30906 of 86563
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

I personally have had no problems with AofC; nor did I have problems with the one pair I bought from there.
I have returned no fewer than 5 pairs of shells over the last couple of years due to QC issues.
The most absurd example was a pair of whiskey ptbs that showed up at my door in the following condition:
1. shoes different lengths on outsole by 1/4 inch - not good
2. one shoe was a few shades lighter than the other - not good (and I'm not talking about the expected variations in shell; I'm talking the kind of color difference were they should have went immediately to the "irregulars" pile.
I received a full refund without incident and told the retailer said shoes should not be sold as first quality (not sure if they resold them or not ....).
How many pairs of Alden's do you own?
post #30907 of 86563
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjuiceman View Post

Can't really ask for more than that. What's wrong with AoC, then?
Nothing.
post #30908 of 86563
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chorizo View Post

styling question on the LS black shell shortwings....
for someone who doesn't wear a suit to work and with my general louder style taste, how much milage could i get out of these? i really like the idea of these with faded raw denim or any contrasting pants (or actually even with graphic shorts to be honest), but i guess i'm just not sure.
either way, beautiful.
As stated the wingtips are more formal than the long wings. I would go with a longwing. Actually I love Tom's All American longwing but it is not black. It would go with jeans though.
post #30909 of 86563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug9122 View Post

Wow.  Your penetrating insight into Alden of Carmel's dysfunctional customer service really did leave me speechless. Gold star for you.

I never said I was going to abuse a return policy, I was merely making the observation that the only way for someone to feel comfortable making a $700 purchase is by buying from a vendor that appreciates the difficulties in getting fitted for Alden's various lasts.  That, or opt to live in one of a handful of metropolises that are well stocked with Alden's various offerings.  Many retailers of high end goods have preposterously liberal return policies for the very reason that buyers of such goods are unlikely to abuse it.  Google the story about the guy who returned tires to a Nordstroms if you need some anecdotal evidence.

Shoemart has done quite well for itself by having a straightforward and respectable return policy--break the last, buy the shoe.  I cannot understand why Alden of Carmel fails to see the value doing the same.  That is all.  But hey, congratulations on being a pithy judgmental prick.  I'm sure its worked out swimmingly for you so far in life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug9122 View Post

Isn't it though? You would think they'd understand one of the basic tenets of retail: making the transaction easier by offering a *real* return policy. Even an exceptionally onerous one that returns your cash is preferable to store credit. I'm almost to the point of ordering some LWBs from jcrew in an 11 just to verify the fit, and then returning them. I'd feel bad, but its jcrew, and my twenties were a blur of serially overpaying both them and BR for clothing of middling quality, so I feel like I have some sucker credits, so to speak.
I think it is because of people like you that AoC has the return policy they do.
post #30910 of 86563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post

If we were limited to things you understand we would not have electricity, airplanes and door knobs. I feel lucky that I live in a world not limited to things YOU understand.

I feel lucky to live in a world with door knobs.
post #30911 of 86563
Good god, the amount of arguments in this thread is ridiculous. We're talking about shoes. Let it go.
post #30912 of 86563
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar View Post


ugh! you guys are killin me lately! those look killer. I tried to snag a pair over the winter but they were out of 11.5 E
On the current list for an E width when they are restocked.
Edit: could we get a few more pics of them? profile perhaps?

20120623_082133.jpg20120623_082147.jpg20120623_082236.jpg

 

We break the frenetic momentum of nerds arguing over return policies in an anonymous internet chat room to bring you the detailed whiskey monk photos you requested.

 

By the way, these are 9.5E, which in Aberdeen works really well for those of us who typically wear Barrie-type lasts.

post #30913 of 86563
AofC's return policy does suck and is the only thing that had prevented me from shopping there.
post #30914 of 86563
Black cordovan "shortwing" blucher (for some reason I still prefer calling these wingtips instead of shortwings) from Leather Soul
Barrie Last

7426314822_7d4715982b.jpg

7426303288_78b93458cb.jpg
post #30915 of 86563
Battle of of the cordovan shortwings/wingtips

Alden for LeatherSoul vs Crockett and Jones for Ralph Lauren

7426327346_f1394ea392.jpg

7426332348_290729299d.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***