or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2057

post #30841 of 94225
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100 yrs View Post

Thanks, to HorseHide, my wallet is now $600 lighter.

Happy to be of service. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif


And for those of you with some extra cash burning a hole in your pocket... Tassel's HK just posted a sweet Color 8 plain toe boot with commando soles on the Barrie last. The carbon footprint on those babies will be huge!
post #30842 of 94225
styling question on the LS black shell shortwings....

for someone who doesn't wear a suit to work and with my general louder style taste, how much milage could i get out of these? i really like the idea of these with faded raw denim or any contrasting pants (or actually even with graphic shorts to be honest), but i guess i'm just not sure.

either way, beautiful.
post #30843 of 94225
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseHide View Post


Happy to be of service. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
And for those of you with some extra cash burning a hole in your pocket... Tassel's HK just posted a sweet Color 8 plain toe boot with commando soles on the Barrie last. The carbon footprint on those babies will be huge!

I'm pretty sure LS has the exact same thing coming down the pike soon. Carbon footprint a bit lighter there, I guess.

 

**Edit: 5563 MI/ 8953 KM lighter

post #30844 of 94225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc9 View Post

I'm pretty sure LS has the exact same thing coming down the pike soon. Carbon footprint a bit lighter there, I guess.

**Edit: 5563 MI/ 8953 KM lighter

If this is the case I would hold out for LS - the LS team is great (not to slight Wallace and Vicky at Tassel's) and, for US based customers at least, their prices will be (much) lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chorizo View Post

styling question on the LS black shell shortwings....
for someone who doesn't wear a suit to work and with my general louder style taste, how much milage could i get out of these? i really like the idea of these with faded raw denim or any contrasting pants (or actually even with graphic shorts to be honest), but i guess i'm just not sure.
either way, beautiful.

Sounds like you'd be better off with a black LWB - I have these black shortwings and IMO they are a very dressy (read suit) shoe.
post #30845 of 94225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbc0919 View Post

Could you share your experiences and use history of defender? I have some but am never really sure when in the process to use. Often, I put some on if the forecast calls for any possibility of rain. However, it seems to dull the shine on my Ravello LWBs. Do you brush after applying? Buff?

Today after applying Alden Leather Defender. Guys at Alden NYC most helpful and reassuring:

467


Alden 974 in Color 8
post #30846 of 94225

20120622_162340.jpg

Whiskey monk, just purchased from Alden NY.  Aberdeen last, antique edging, brass buckle. Maiden voyage.

 

I've heard quite a few people knock this shoe, but I'm really liking it.  I realize that Alden monks have a "thin" strap, but at the same time, there is an elastic band behind the buckle, which allows you to slip the shoe on/off without having the mess with the buckle.  (My John Lobb monks offer no such convenience.)  Plus, this is the only Aberdeen I can fit into.

post #30847 of 94225

LS has a new suede, lined Plaza chukka in 3 colors (snuff, navy, gray).

 

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/new-arrivals/

 

What do you guys think of this as opposed to the traditional Leydon/unlined version?

post #30848 of 94225
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeebs View Post

350x263px-LL-799acc7c_20120622_162340.jpeg
Whiskey monk, just purchased from Alden NY.  Aberdeen last, antique edging, brass buckle. Maiden voyage.

I've heard quite a few people knock this shoe, but I'm really liking it.  I realize that Alden monks have a "thin" strap, but at the same time, there is an elastic band behind the buckle, which allows you to slip the shoe on/off without having the mess with the buckle.  (My John Lobb monks offer no such convenience.)  Plus, this is the only Aberdeen I can fit into.


Outstanding... This is a great shoe, I can never find it in e sizes
post #30849 of 94225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profligate47 View Post

Today after applying Alden Leather Defender. Guys at Alden NYC most helpful and reassuring:
467
Alden 974 in Color 8

beautiful.
post #30850 of 94225
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeebs View Post

350x263px-LL-799acc7c_20120622_162340.jpeg
Whiskey monk, just purchased from Alden NY.  Aberdeen last, antique edging, brass buckle. Maiden voyage.

I've heard quite a few people knock this shoe, but I'm really liking it.  I realize that Alden monks have a "thin" strap, but at the same time, there is an elastic band behind the buckle, which allows you to slip the shoe on/off without having the mess with the buckle.  (My John Lobb monks offer no such convenience.)  Plus, this is the only Aberdeen I can fit into.

ugh! you guys are killin me lately! those look killer. I tried to snag a pair over the winter but they were out of 11.5 E

On the current list for an E width when they are restocked.

Edit: could we get a few more pics of them? profile perhaps?
post #30851 of 94225
Quote:
Originally Posted by kippy View Post

I called the Alden Madison shop today and apparently Whiskey is now in extremely short supply - more so then before. Some outstanding orders are being cancelled due to lack of raw material.
I am going to head to Costco right now and buy a 10-year supply of Cordovan shoes to prepare for the nuclear winter that is exotic cordovan supply for the next 6-12 months.

I spoke with Maria at BB NYC a few days ago asking for the LHS in Whiskey and her reply? "No butts."

So that's the story.
post #30852 of 94225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chorizo View Post

styling question on the LS black shell shortwings....
for someone who doesn't wear a suit to work and with my general louder style taste, how much milage could i get out of these? i really like the idea of these with faded raw denim or any contrasting pants (or actually even with graphic shorts to be honest), but i guess i'm just not sure.
either way, beautiful.

Could always go with the black shell LWB from AoC with the commando sole…

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/Shoes-Black_Cordovan_Wing_Tip_196.htm
post #30853 of 94225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chorizo View Post

styling question on the LS black shell shortwings....
for someone who doesn't wear a suit to work and with my general louder style taste, how much milage could i get out of these? i really like the idea of these with faded raw denim or any contrasting pants (or actually even with graphic shorts to be honest), but i guess i'm just not sure.
either way, beautiful.

I agree with the others - you'd be better served by the black shell LWB. While both the LWB and black shell SWB are on the Barrie last, this particular SWB presents a much sleeker appearance, comparatively speaking.
post #30854 of 94225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profligate47 View Post

Today after applying Alden Leather Defender. Guys at Alden NYC most helpful and reassuring:
467
Alden 974 in Color 8

Nice shoes!! I have this shoe as well. It is on the Tremont last which Alden basically never uses (not sure why). Mine are reserved for business attire, but yours obviously are not. A true testament to Alden shell versatility.
post #30855 of 94225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug9122 View Post

Isn't it though?  You would think they'd understand one of the basic tenets of retail: making the transaction easier by offering a *real* return policy.  Even an exceptionally onerous one that returns your cash is preferable to store credit. I'm almost to the point of ordering some LWBs from jcrew in an 11 just to verify the fit, and then returning them. I'd feel bad, but its jcrew, and my twenties were a blur of serially overpaying both them and BR for clothing of middling quality, so I feel like I have some sucker credits, so to speak.
\
I think it is because of people like you that AoC has the return policy they do.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***