or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 2038

post #30556 of 87392
Quote:
Originally Posted by plato View Post

Obviously I don't know where he got his, but here are two places on the web for interesting colored shoe laces. Think the first is having a bit of a father's day discount as well.
 

http://www.hookandalbert.com//colored-shoelaces-at-hook-CID269.aspx

 

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/cati2_Shoe+Care+Products_1_40000000001_-1_1_image_0_N_216_216_124857_subcategory

 

Frans Boone offers a large variety of colors, probably the largest choice for Alden on the net. 

http://www.fransboonestore.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=337_347_299&product_id=56

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #30557 of 87392
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfactor23 View Post

Gents -

I noticed that Rancourt carries a Color 8 CXL belt :

http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/belt-color-8-chromexcel-lined-with-tan-lining-1-5-wide-burgundy-stitching-on-edge-buckle-and-keeper-6231-roller-buckle-matte-nickel-size-32.html

I did not know that the Color 8 was available in CXL -

Does anybody know if Alden has ever done a Color 8 CXL shoe/boot, and has pics? I am curious to compare with the Color 8 Shell -

Thanks -

 

I don't know the answer to the Alden question, but figured I would relate my experience with the Rancourt #8 belt.

I received the Color 8 CXL belt a few months ago and it's very nice. The leather is supple and the color looks great. I purchased it as a potential match for my #8 Alden cordovan LWBs, but it has not worked out since the CXL is fairly matte. I have found that the calf Madison and Manistee belts from Allen Edmonds are a better match for Alden cordovan shoe since they have a shiny glow to them.
post #30558 of 87392
I'm a 10.5D (just) in the Barrie and an 11E in most other shoes. Does the Van last offer the same width as the Barrie, or would I need to size up to a 10.5E?
post #30559 of 87392

^ In my opinion, a 10.5E (even a 11D) should fit you perfectly regarding what you mentioned.

I wear 8E and 8.5D in the Barrie and 8.5 in the Van.

Needless to say that you are advised to try before purchase.

 

Hope this helps.

post #30560 of 87392
A couple of new makeups at the Bureau on wedge soles.

294

294
post #30561 of 87392
quick question:

Is it possible to put topy/vibram/commando soles on the oiled waterlock soles?
post #30562 of 87392
The Knottery is another source for colored shoelaces.
post #30563 of 87392

Although an Indy boot was not going to be my first Alden boot purchase, I couldn't pass up the great price on a pair of 405's when I visited Chicago.  I do like the boots and am breaking them in now but I was shocked at how heavy they were.

 

I'm kind of anal and I keep a spreadsheet of all my boots with info like when I bought them, the price, type of lining, sole, etc.  One of the things I also track is the weight of the boot.  Most of my boots (at this point, mostly Italian but some AE) weigh in at the lightest about 15oz to about 1lb 5oz.  My AE walnut shell Daltons are 1lb 3oz.  But these 405's weight in at 1lb 12oz!!!  I don't notice a 1lb 5oz boot too much but I definitely notice the weight on this Indy boot.

 

Anyway, what I wanted to know was what is it that makes the 405 so heavy?  Is it the neoprene cork sole?  Or the steel shank?  Because I have a pair of Alden plain toe boots on order (flex leather sole) and I'm wondering if they're going to be that heavy as well.

post #30564 of 87392
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

Although an Indy boot was not going to be my first Alden boot purchase, I couldn't pass up the great price on a pair of 405's when I visited Chicago.  I do like the boots and am breaking them in now but I was shocked at how heavy they were.

 

I'm kind of anal and I keep a spreadsheet of all my boots with info like when I bought them, the price, type of lining, sole, etc.  One of the things I also track is the weight of the boot.  Most of my boots (at this point, mostly Italian but some AE) weigh in at the lightest about 15oz to about 1lb 5oz.  My AE walnut shell Daltons are 1lb 3oz.  But these 405's weight in at 1lb 12oz!!!  I don't notice a 1lb 5oz boot too much but I definitely notice the weight on this Indy boot.

 

Anyway, what I wanted to know was what is it that makes the 405 so heavy?  Is it the neoprene cork sole?  Or the steel shank?  Because I have a pair of Alden plain toe boots on order (flex leather sole) and I'm wondering if they're going to be that heavy as well.

While I have no personal experience with Indy boots outfitted with the commando sole, I have read that they are considerably lighter than Indy boots with a neoprene cork sole and the rubber foot balance piece. I'd have to say that the majority of the heaviness comes from the foot balance piece. A dense piece of rubber that's meant to assist in keeping your feet grounded.

post #30565 of 87392

Where to buy shoelace which like wax shoelace from LS,Leffot and so on

post #30566 of 87392
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootSpell View Post

Although an Indy boot was not going to be my first Alden boot purchase, I couldn't pass up the great price on a pair of 405's when I visited Chicago.  I do like the boots and am breaking them in now but I was shocked at how heavy they were.

I'm kind of anal and I keep a spreadsheet of all my boots with info like when I bought them, the price, type of lining, sole, etc.  One of the things I also track is the weight of the boot.  Most of my boots (at this point, mostly Italian but some AE) weigh in at the lightest about 15oz to about 1lb 5oz.  My AE walnut shell Daltons are 1lb 3oz.  But these 405's weight in at 1lb 12oz!!!  I don't notice a 1lb 5oz boot too much but I definitely notice the weight on this Indy boot.

Anyway, what I wanted to know was what is it that makes the 405 so heavy?  Is it the neoprene cork sole?  Or the steel shank?  Because I have a pair of Alden plain toe boots on order (flex leather sole) and I'm wondering if they're going to be that heavy as well.

1) Alden shoes and boots are heavy, especially in cordovan and chromexcel. The steel shank, leather soles, and substantial leather make a heavy shoe.
2) The stock Indy is particularly heavy due to cork sole. I have a commando soled Indy which is lighter than the normal version, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is still heavier than you are used to
post #30567 of 87392
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquiti View Post

While I have no personal experience with Indy boots outfitted with the commando sole, I have read that they are considerably lighter than Indy boots with a neoprene cork sole and the rubber foot balance piece. I'd have to say that the majority of the heaviness comes from the foot balance piece. A dense piece of rubber that's meant to assist in keeping your feet grounded.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post


1) Alden shoes and boots are heavy, especially in cordovan and chromexcel. The steel shank, leather soles, and substantial leather make a heavy shoe.
2) The stock Indy is particularly heavy due to cork sole. I have a commando soled Indy which is lighter than the normal version, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is still heavier than you are used to

Thanks guys for your input, much appreciated.  Interesting ubiquiti, your comment about the Foot Balance heel.  I hadn't thought of that but now that you mention its objective, these boots do make my feet feel well grounded.

 

Another question --- these were not supposed to be seconds, at least I wasn't told so even though I paid only $380 for them.  I do think they are older stock as they have the older cotton duck lining.  Anyway, my issue is with the tongue on the left boot.  It does not stay centered behind the laces as you can see from the pictures below.  Actually, if you look at the eyelets, the left and right side don't appear to be aligned.  So it's almost as if the whole vamp is kind of skewed to one side.  The right boot is off only slightly.

 

1.  Am I being picky and is this kind of thing to be expected from "hand-made" type boots such as Alden?  Or should these have truly been seconds?  (and I know I should have noticed this before I left Chicago with them.)

 

2.  What can I do about the left boot?  Do you think a good cobbler can detach the tongue from the vamp and sew it back on to make it straighter?  I know the eyelets being askew will have to stay that way.

 

001.JPG

 

002.JPG

post #30568 of 87392
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothball View Post

Lovely.

thank you
post #30569 of 87392
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

The highly sought after Ravello PTB: one of my personal favorites, and looking good in these pics ...

nephew,
thank you
post #30570 of 87392
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chorizo View Post

is it wrong that I want to print out this post and hang it by my desk?
Thanks uncle...great looking ravello PTB. I will never go how you get your creases looking so subtle and great.

nephew,
thank you
the creases are do to genetics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***