or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 1934

post #28996 of 98686
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post

I'm prob in the minority, but I feel loafers aren't worth the big bucks.

You may be in the minority, but you're not alone. PTB with the big bucks.
Edited by Kashiwa - 5/26/12 at 9:43am
post #28997 of 98686
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino View Post

Is the Mac break-in method applicable for all shoes and boots? Or cordovan only?

From what I gather his method is to make sure the fit is correct but also help break in the leather sole. Busting a new pair out if the box and hitting the city streets can put excess wear on the toe of the sole. Walkng around your house in them allows them to contour to your feet on a non abrasive surface.
post #28998 of 98686
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post

I'm prob in the minority, but I feel loafers aren't worth the big bucks. They're a casual shoe and not extremely versatile. Not that they don't have their place, the navy suede tassels are sweet for summer, but you can't dress em up. PTB can be dressed up or down, justifying more the 500+ price tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashiwa View Post

You maybe in the minority, but you're not alone. PTB with the big bucks.

I felt the same until I got a pair of #8 LHS. I think if you are an Alden fan at least one loafer should be in your rotation. They fill a gap that a lace-up can't. imo
post #28999 of 98686
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar View Post


I felt the same until I got a pair of #8 LHS. I think if you are an Alden fan at least one loafer should be in your rotation. They fill a gap that a lace-up can't. imo


 I am also in that minority, but according to what I've read, Alden's signature shoe for quite some time has been the Tassel Moc.  I do not have a slip-on, but I've been seriously considering a color 8 (563) to make my collection more complete. I prefer the Tassel Moc to the LHS.

post #29000 of 98686
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger View Post

I'm prob in the minority, but I feel loafers aren't worth the big bucks. They're a casual shoe and not extremely versatile. Not that they don't have their place, the navy suede tassels are sweet for summer, but you can't dress em up. PTB can be dressed up or down, justifying more the 500+ price tag.

+1

also, you should strongly consider the #8 longwing.
post #29001 of 98686
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post


I spray them with Saphir spray. When they're really dirty, you can use suede shampoo (Saphir/LCA for instance). And I use a regular shoe brush (not a suede brush) to remove dust and dirt every now and then.

Thank you NOBD.

 

I spent a few hours searching and reading about the different opinions. I have decided to spray, but I have scoured the internet from top to bottom, and can't get the Saphir Super Invulner Waterproofing Spray anywhere (something about shipping regulation issues). I usually only buy from Saphir for shoe care products, but am going to go with AE's Suede Weatherproofing spray unless anyone had any suggestions for acquiring Saphir spray in the US?

 

Again, thank you for all your help.

post #29002 of 98686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa View Post

Thank you NOBD.

I spent a few hours searching and reading about the different opinions. I have decided to spray, but I have scoured the internet from top to bottom, and can't get the Saphir Super Invulner Waterproofing Spray anywhere (something about shipping regulation issues). I usually only buy from Saphir for shoe care products, but am going to go with AE's Suede Weatherproofing spray unless anyone had any suggestions for acquiring Saphir spray in the US?

Again, thank you for all your help.

YW. I think there are several US suppliers; here's one (forum affiliate):

http://store.asuitablewardrobe.net/shoecare.aspx

I don't see the spray in the store, but he has the shampoo (nettoyant) and he can probably order the spray as well. Other people probably know other options.
post #29003 of 98686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa View Post

Thank you NOBD.

I spent a few hours searching and reading about the different opinions. I have decided to spray, but I have scoured the internet from top to bottom, and can't get the Saphir Super Invulner Waterproofing Spray anywhere (something about shipping regulation issues). I usually only buy from Saphir for shoe care products, but am going to go with AE's Suede Weatherproofing spray unless anyone had any suggestions for acquiring Saphir spray in the US?

Again, thank you for all your help.

I've used the AE product on suede and was more than satisfied.
post #29004 of 98686
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYGGG View Post

I've used the AE product on suede and was more than satisfied.

 

+1 I've used the AE waterproofing spray on a variety of suedes and it's worked fine.

post #29005 of 98686
Quote:
Originally Posted by trig View Post

for a first pair of aldens, between #8 lhs or ptb, which would you get?

 

PTB.

post #29006 of 98686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therendition View Post

 

PTB.

 

+1

post #29007 of 98686
PTB
post #29008 of 98686

I've been using Meltonian suede protector on the recommendation of Nick from B Nelson.  No complaints here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa View Post

Thank you NOBD.

 

I spent a few hours searching and reading about the different opinions. I have decided to spray, but I have scoured the internet from top to bottom, and can't get the Saphir Super Invulner Waterproofing Spray anywhere (something about shipping regulation issues). I usually only buy from Saphir for shoe care products, but am going to go with AE's Suede Weatherproofing spray unless anyone had any suggestions for acquiring Saphir spray in the US?

 

Again, thank you for all your help.

post #29009 of 98686
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

I've been using Meltonian suede protector on the recommendation of Nick from B Nelson.  No complaints here.

Thank you sir.

post #29010 of 98686
263

My new Roden Gray waxed reverse chamois ptb with my recently cleaned Snuff Suede ptb. I like the reverse chamois much more than I thought thought I would. They will probably end up getting more wear than the snuff suede, and will probably last longer too. It looks to be a great travel shoe, very comfortable, durable, and able to be dressed up or down should the situation require it.

Does anyone know the best way to care for this unique material? Should it be treated any different than standard suede (i.e suede spray, suede brush, eraser, suede shampoo)? Any insight would be appreciated.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***