or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 1800

post #26986 of 91482
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue collar View Post

In this case i'd go with the RL Marlow Penny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post


+1 the Marlow Penny is easily the clear winner here and much better bargain since the C&J shell boots typically go for $1200

 

I respectfully disagree.  While the C&J maybe the better shoe, the color 8 is much more impressive looking than the dark brown shell. I seriously considered buying the Marlow short wing.  The shoe is outstanding (the fit and comfort is better than the Barrie lasted LWB) but I wasn't wow'ed by the color.  I have a brown calf, Alden-LWB that looks just as good.  But, are you giving up that much in comfort and construction by going to the Alden color 8.  IMHO, no.  I'd go with the color 8 and use the $250 in savings on another pair of shoes, golf clubs, or whatever floats your boat.

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #26987 of 91482
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldenLuver View Post


I respectfully disagree.  While the C&J maybe the better shoe, the color 8 is much more impressive looking than the dark brown shell. I seriously considered buying the Marlow short wing.  The shoe is outstanding (the fit and comfort is better than the Barrie lasted LWB) but I wasn't wow'ed by the color.  I have a brown calf, Alden-LWB that looks just as good.  But, are you giving up that much in comfort and construction by going to the Alden color 8.  IMHO, no.  I'd go with the color 8 and use the $250 in savings on another pair of shoes, golf clubs, or whatever floats your boat.

You're missing the point though. You're comparing the look of the shoes new right out of the box. If you were shown a pair of Marlow that's been aged and patina'd, you'd see an entirely different shoe. The color ages extremely well.

It's a no brainer, especially since you stated the Marlow is "a better shoe" and agree that the fit and comfort is better.

If the "extra savings" was of any concern, we'd all be here commenting on our latest acquisitions from Cole Haan and Rockport.
post #26988 of 91482
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagsun View Post

I think they do. Last week I called about #8 Indys but they didn't have my size.

They carry boots. I normally do not see them on the website but whenever I walk into the shop I see black + color 8 boots (wingtips, captoes, indy's, etc) on display on a regular basis.
post #26989 of 91482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbear View Post

I wonder why Alden SF doesn't carry any shell boots.  Bummer.

They do, maybe my favorite aldens are the black shell captoes i got from them a few months ago. They don't list everything on the site, as mentioned.
post #26990 of 91482
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100 yrs View Post

They do, maybe my favorite aldens are the black shell captoes i got from them a few months ago. They don't list everything on the site, as mentioned.

Any pics? Are they similar to the #8 on the Grant?
post #26991 of 91482
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post

....... If you were shown a pair of Marlow that's been aged and patina'd, you'd see an entirely different shoe. The color ages extremely well. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by terradilavoro View Post

My latest aquisition - I do hope you Alden Lovers will accept this post biggrin.gif
RL Marlow Wingtip Blucher by C & J
263
467
263
cheerio
Joachim
post #26992 of 91482
I'm familiar with the patina of the Marlow - I own the wingtips and they are among my favorite cordovan shoes - but color 8 patinas great as well.

As I look down at my #8 longwings, I have noticed I need more color 8 in my collection. Maybe I get something like a color 8 boot while going with the Marlow penny loafer (I've wanted the Marlow penny loafer since high school). I may take Mac's advice and get the full strap in black...
post #26993 of 91482
Quote:
Originally Posted by terradilavoro View Post

Quote:

these are light. I have a pair thats remained dark, one shoe darker than the other. I call the left one the black mumba
post #26994 of 91482
The AldenShop in SF does carry shell boots, but last I checked they were quite low on shell indys and they were not expecting to stock them again. Not sure why. I was also told that their shell indys are all on the barrie last, not trubalance, but both surprised and intrigued me.
post #26995 of 91482

For all you dude's itching for some natural Chromexcel...

 

Epaulet just received a re-stock on two of our most popular makeup's.

 

5157399376_358beae2e4_b.jpg

Alden for Epaulet Natural Chromexcel Longwing - Leydon Last - $485

 

6351575206_1a5c3c1221_b.jpg

Alden for Epaulet Natural Chromexcel Brixton Boot - Barrie Last - $495

post #26996 of 91482

Interesting, thanks for the info about Alden SF.  I'll go into their shop soon and see what's up.  

post #26997 of 91482
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the Marlow is actually less expensive than most alden shells if you catch them during RL's annual 40 something percent off sale. If you play your cards right you can get them for 55% off, i think (their 40% sale plus something they call the 15% kicker on top of it). I forget the details but I did this 2 or 3 years ago and grabbed the plain toe marlows for something like $430 out the door. Beautiful shoes. I also have the old shell standard chukka they called the McCallum in brown shell and that's nice too. A shame they don't offer that boot anymore.

TBH, I slightly prefer Alden's color 8 to C&J's brown shell, while prefering C&J's classic Marlow last and overall styling (esp. on the chukkas) to alden's patterns. So to me it's a wash.
post #26998 of 91482
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftofthedial View Post

For all you dude's itching for some natural Chromexcel...

 

Epaulet just received a re-stock on two of our most popular makeup's.

 



5157399376_358beae2e4_b.jpg

Alden for Epaulet Natural Chromexcel Longwing - Leydon Last - $485

 

6351575206_1a5c3c1221_b.jpg

Alden for Epaulet Natural Chromexcel Brixton Boot - Barrie Last - $495


Very nice. Are you also doing a restock of the Alden Natural CXL Tanker?
post #26999 of 91482
quick question. When you guys state to go w/ the Marlow as the same size as Barrie/Trubalance, should I be buying UK 7.5/US 8 (what's printed inside of the shoe) or US 7.5/UK 7?
post #27000 of 91482
I continue to be intrigued by all of the natural chromexcel makeups that flood the market... Can anyone post photos of chromexcel after a few months of wear? I've seen the pic of the longwing really beaten up, but that seems like an extreme wear situation

Or more directly - compare these calfskin longwings for spring/summer wear:

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2012/04/18/alden-shoe-natty-longwing-and-tanker-re-stock-lsw-lsbh/

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/AldenForJCrew/PRDOVR~18582/18582.jsp
Edited by Alcibiades - 4/26/12 at 1:31pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***