or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 1799

post #26971 of 87500
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude View Post

oh cool ... thats the same brand as the ones at nordstrom rack for 19.90 but i guess the ones at the rack are the combo, while these are the full version?
i have a bunch from the rack

??

The ones at the Rack are $12.90ea not $19.90 ... I just bought another pair on Sunday

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #26972 of 87500
The natty tankers at LS are pretty sweet. Anyone have any real life pics?
post #26973 of 87500
Quote:
Originally Posted by furo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude View Post

oh cool ... thats the same brand as the ones at nordstrom rack for 19.90 but i guess the ones at the rack are the combo, while these are the full version?
i have a bunch from the rack

??

The ones at the Rack are $12.90ea not $19.90 ... I just bought another pair on Sunday

sorry ur right my bad
post #26974 of 87500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

Yeah I have a pair of Ravello boots with all eyelets and it's a hassle honestly. It looks better though I think
They look better in real life, I have them and probably wore them 4x a week or so in the winter, kinda want to resole now though so it looks like the bureau version

I've also been considering re-soling my kudu chukkas to a commando sole. The lug sole is comfy and all, but i'd prefer the natural edge trim look.
post #26975 of 87500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbear View Post

I'm afraid if I get a cigar shell captoe boot (like one is even available, ha), I'll rarely wear my Indys again.  True or false?

I have cigar captoe boots, and I still wear my Indy 403 on commando sole and my chromexcel chukkas regularly.

Shell cordovan shoes can "look better" than chromexcel, but both have their place. Lest we forget, Indy boots (403 or chromexcel) are "work boots." You can take then hiking, you can wear them in rain or snow, you can wear them in grassy fields, etc. Whenever I think conditions will be variable, I tend to wear my Indys or my chromexcel chukkas. When i am traveling and know I will be facing a rainy day, a sunny day, will be doing walking on various surfaces, I like bringing Indy boots. They can take abuse and still look like "nice" casual shoes. This goes really for any type of chromexcel shoe or boot.

I know some thread participants say that you should treat cordovan boots the same way (i.e. just wear them), but let's be frank, most people on this thread aren't going to abuse cordovan like they will chromexcel (no matter how durable cordovan is). They are going to Mac method them, shoe tree them, Saphir/Venetian them, etc. With my Indy boots, I can not really worry about all that. Wear them, apply some conditioner or whatever when they look like they need it. That's it.

While we love rarer and unique shoes on this thread, more "basic" Aldens (chromexcel Indy, #8 longwing being the two iconic ones) do have their place.
post #26976 of 87500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmivtr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbear View Post

Indys are nice.  But what they really are is the gateway into cordovan.  

You don't jump directly into $600-$700 shoes--the Indy is a stepping stone and then splash in from there.  

Unfortunately I am one who is the exception to this rule. I went all in and got a cigar wing tip boot on the Plaza. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post

I just can't get down with the indys. I guess I've just got a younger mindset but I don't like the clunky look they give off to me. I love my LWB though and some people would say those are clunky so I guess I'm a hypocrite lmao.

I enjoy the look but I wear suits most of the week and I already have other boots so the Indy would rarely be used. I've been close to getting the NTL CXL Indy but have aovided it for now.

You can wear Indy boots on the weekends or at night

For me, my Alden rotation
M-Th
Longwings, loafers and PTBs in cordovan (mixed in with other brands and materials)
Fri
Captoe or chukka boots, PTBs, loafers in cordovan or suede
Weekend (and I guess some nights during the week)
Indy/captoe/chukka boots, PTBs in cordovan, chromexcel or suede

Alden has it all covered. Add in select other shoes from other manufacturers and you are set (looking forward to grabbing some RL Marlow penny loafers during the private sale coming up)
post #26977 of 87500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post


Alden has it all covered. Add in select other shoes from other manufacturers and you are set (looking forward to grabbing some RL Marlow penny loafers during the private sale coming up)

sorry just got confirmation from my SA in bev hills that shell models (marlows) are excluded from upcoming sale of 30% off with 15% kicker. but the sales always change at last minute so it might be added after teh sale begins so check again but as of now they are out frown.gif
post #26978 of 87500
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude View Post

sorry just got confirmation from my SA in bev hills that shell models (marlows) are excluded from upcoming sale of 30% off with 15% kicker. but the sales always change at last minute so it might be added after teh sale begins so check again but as of now they are out frown.gif

ffffuuuu.gif
post #26979 of 87500
if you guys were purchasing a new pair of indys, would you go for double leather or commando sole? pondering a father's day present as it just occurred to me this would be a perfect present for the old man.

I'm thinking commando for durability and because it sort of 'goes' with the indy aesthetic better IMO. he'll also be wearing these in a 'work' environment per say. he just uses regular leather soles for his current boots, but wondering if the added rubber could be beneficial for him.



EDIT- I guess another option though is that I could get regular sole and then just added a layer of vibram which would be way less 'clunky'
Edited by dmash - 4/25/12 at 5:59pm
post #26980 of 87500
go with the regular sole. it's tough as nails. the commando is nice and all but i prefer the look of the regular on on the indys
post #26981 of 87500

I'm a bit stuck now...My Indys that arrived today are awesome, except the feel to be sloppy, and in the right foot a slight bit more than the left. I got sized at a high end store in Houston and he said I should go 11D but feel like he might have told me my true size and not for the Indy....Also, I usually wear pretty thin socks, its what I find most comfortable, but like the guy said a few pages back, were I to have to outrun a boulder, I think there would be too much slop in them....Should I try going from a D to a C? or going to a 10.5...I have them laced pretty tight to, about a finger width between the laces (if that makes sense) and if I want to I can slide my foot enough to hit my big toe at the end. If it helps any the only other boot I have is a Clarks DB which I sized down 1/2 a size to 10.5 and it fits excellent. My dad who's owned Aldens suggested I use thicker socks which helped a little bit and some insoles to raise my foot some, which to me seems like it shouldn't be necessary.

 

Oh yea and ordered from Shoe Mart and I'm just wearing them around the house, so exchange shouldn't be an issue.

 

Edit: It slops around front and back and left to right, not just in the ball but the whole foot, even the heel especially the right foot.


Edited by CFowler2790 - 4/25/12 at 6:45pm
post #26982 of 87500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kippy View Post

Thanks much. I was considering the storm or executive model. Which one would you say is easier to get into? I wear mostly shoes but have some Alden dress boots as well (Ravello WTB) that I would want to protect.

the executive model works for both shoes and boots
post #26983 of 87500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazon View Post

I have been in-love with the PTB style since I first bought J. Crew’s version back in 2001.
Last week I could no longer take the voices inside my head, and I added the Cigar to my rotation.
Today is their first outing. Carpet only, as directed by the Mac break in procedure.
AldenCigarFirstday.jpg
AldenCigarFirstdayside.jpg

nephew
good looking cigar, enjoy wearing
post #26984 of 87500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFowler2790 View Post

I'm a bit stuck now...My Indys that arrived today are awesome, except the feel to be sloppy, and in the right foot a slight bit more than the left. I got sized at a high end store in Houston and he said I should go 11D but feel like he might have told me my true size and not for the Indy....Also, I usually wear pretty thin socks, its what I find most comfortable, but like the guy said a few pages back, were I to have to outrun a boulder, I think there would be too much slop in them....Should I try going from a D to a C? or going to a 10.5...I have them laced pretty tight to, about a finger width between the laces (if that makes sense) and if I want to I can slide my foot enough to hit my big toe at the end. If it helps any the only other boot I have is a Clarks DB which I sized down 1/2 a size to 10.5 and it fits excellent. My dad who's owned Aldens suggested I use thicker socks which helped a little bit and some insoles to raise my foot some, which to me seems like it shouldn't be necessary.

 

Oh yea and ordered from Shoe Mart and I'm just wearing them around the house, so exchange shouldn't be an issue.

 

Edit: It slops around front and back and left to right, not just in the ball but the whole foot, even the heel especially the right foot.


Size down to a 10.5 or maybe a 10.
post #26985 of 87500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

Leffot Cigar Indy
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

nephew,
good looking cigar
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***