or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 1768

post #26506 of 87603
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl5yankees View Post

Picked up a pre-owned pair of Alden 9501 Natural Chromexel Oxfords.
Can someone tell me a good polish or creme for these, hoping to grab
something locally and not order Alden, etc...

I do use Neatsfoot Oil - recommended by Nick Horween also - have a look http://horween.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/chromexcel%C2%AE-2/
Quote:
The last step for Chromexcel is coat of Neatsfoot Oil, so when people ask me how to condition this leather, that’s always my first recommendation.

cheerio
Joachim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #26507 of 87603
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLjon View Post



Great! Thanks for the help!

Seriously, these are thrifted and not in my size, so I'm trying to get a bit of info on them for selling/trading purposes. Here's what Alden people have said:



Has anybody ever seen these?


I have a pair of kudu longwings on the plantation crepe sole - these ones here: http://leffot.com/2012/01/12/alden-x-leffot-kudu-longwing-blucher/. Thanks to the crepe sole, these are among the most comfortable shoes in my collection. Yours look like they have definitely been resoled, but the condition of the rest of the shoes look to be pretty good based on your Flickr photos. The kudu leather is great for being able to take a beating though.
post #26508 of 87603

Quick question, I got sized at a local store that carries Alden and might be ordering some here soon, but dont understand the size he wrote down for me. He wrote down that I'm a 11D/B which fits perfectly for the Indy and PTB and Chukka, so do I fit a B or a D? Either or? confused.gif

post #26509 of 87603
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblegrain View Post

You should look up made-to-order options with Alden, either directly or through a vendor. I see no reason why an MTO would not allow different sizes L to R.
One thing to consider: Allen Edmonds splits sizes no questions asked.
Relasted 1.5 sizes? No.

Really? I went to the AE store and was told I had to do a custom order that would take 4+ weeks for an additional $80, and that they're not returnable. Where did you hear about this?
post #26510 of 87603
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFowler2790 View Post

Quick question, I got sized at a local store that carries Alden and might be ordering some here soon, but dont understand the size he wrote down for me. He wrote down that I'm a 11D/B which fits perfectly for the Indy and PTB and Chukka, so do I fit a B or a D? Either or? confused.gif

D is ball width and B is heel width. The wider the ball the wider typically the heel, e.g., D/B, E/C, etc.
post #26511 of 87603

I would say don't use Neats Foot Oil on Natural CXL.  I accidentally spilled some Neats Foot on my Natural CXL boots and they darkened considerably (dark brown).  Nick from Horween suggested that the stain would fade after a while, but I haven't seen that happen yet (a few weeks later).

 

In an email, Nick stated that he uses Venetian Shoe Cream but Saphir is good too.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl5yankees View Post

Picked up a pre-owned pair of Alden 9501 Natural Chromexel Oxfords.
Can someone tell me a good polish or creme for these, hoping to grab
something locally and not order Alden, etc...

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terradilavoro View Post


I do use Neatsfoot Oil - recommended by Nick Horween also - have a look http://horween.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/chromexcel%C2%AE-2/
Quote:
The last step for Chromexcel is coat of Neatsfoot Oil, so when people ask me how to condition this leather, that’s always my first recommendation.
cheerio
Joachim

 

 

post #26512 of 87603
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

I would say don't use Neats Foot Oil on Natural CXL.  I accidentally spilled some Neats Foot on my Natural CXL boots and they darkened considerably (dark brown).  Nick from Horween suggested that the stain would fade after a while, but I haven't seen that happen yet (a few weeks later).

In an email, Nick stated that he uses Venetian Shoe Cream but Saphir is good too.







Put the shoes in the sun; they'll lighten up.
post #26513 of 87603

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFowler2790 View Post

Quick question, I got sized at a local store that carries Alden and might be ordering some here soon, but dont understand the size he wrote down for me. He wrote down that I'm a 11D/B which fits perfectly for the Indy and PTB and Chukka, so do I fit a B or a D? Either or? confused.gif

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmivtr View Post


D is ball width and B is heel width. The wider the ball the wider typically the heel, e.g., D/B, E/C, etc.

 


Alden uses a "combination" last hence the two letters.  A "D" last for the ball fit is combined with a "B" last for the heel.  I think this is the reason why Alden shoes fit my feet when other brands like AE do not.

post #26514 of 87603
232
232

It has arrived and it's beautiful:) Dealing with Alden of DC and Kathy is a pleasure and they've sent an extra pair of laces.
post #26515 of 87603
Quote:
Originally Posted by advan031 View Post

232
232

It has arrived and it's beautiful:) Dealing with Alden of DC and Kathy is a pleasure and they've sent an extra pair of laces.

These are the sought after Cigar Grant captoes, right? Absolutely beautiful. Congratulations and enjoy wearing them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFowler2790 View Post

Quick question, I got sized at a local store that carries Alden and might be ordering some here soon, but dont understand the size he wrote down for me. He wrote down that I'm a 11D/B which fits perfectly for the Indy and PTB and Chukka, so do I fit a B or a D? Either or? confused.gif



Wait, that's my size. Don't buy all my Aldens. smile.gif. Really, its a good thing that you fit in a pretty common size. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding plenty of great Aldens. Keep us up to date as you begin your collection.
post #26516 of 87603
^^^Yessir they are...I almost didn't buy them:embar:
post #26517 of 87603
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

I would say don't use Neats Foot Oil on Natural CXL.  I accidentally spilled some Neats Foot on my Natural CXL boots and they darkened considerably (dark brown).  Nick from Horween suggested that the stain would fade after a while, but I haven't seen that happen yet (a few weeks later).

In an email, Nick stated that he uses Venetian Shoe Cream but Saphir is good too.






Natty cxl is the same, but is natural so of coures color would darken. I've used Neatsfoot oil on my Kudus as well as Yuketens and Quoddys and it's always produced good results
post #26518 of 87603

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmivtr View Post

D is ball width and B is heel width. The wider the ball the wider typically the heel, e.g., D/B, E/C, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post
Alden uses a "combination" last hence the two letters.  A "D" last for the ball fit is combined with a "B" last for the heel.  I think this is the reason why Alden shoes fit my feet when other brands like AE do not.

 

Ahhh, thank you both! Now I know to purchase 11 D and not B icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

post #26519 of 87603

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by advan031 View Post

232
232
It has arrived and it's beautiful:) Dealing with Alden of DC and Kathy is a pleasure and they've sent an extra pair of laces.

 

Very nice! Although not Alden, I did get some very nice shell Vass chukkas today.

post #26520 of 87603
Quote:
Originally Posted by advan031 View Post

232
232
It has arrived and it's beautiful:) Dealing with Alden of DC and Kathy is a pleasure and they've sent an extra pair of laces.

cheers.gif

Welcome to the cigar captoe boot club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***