or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 1623

post #24331 of 96964
Now that this thread is nearing 25,000 posts, maybe it's time for a FAQ that could be reposted periodically or stickied or something. Actually, the whole thread should be stickied but that's a different story. Awhile ago (pre-new forum software) I compiled a list of online shops with links, and Jet put that into his first post.

Some basic topics that come up are:
1) Sizing. The great image posted with all of the lasts could be supplemented with user's experiences.
2) Break-in procedure
3) Caring for shell cordovan
4) Observations about the different types of soles (double leather, waterloc, crepe)
5) Variations on the Indy boot
6) Variations in color within the same shell color

Worthwhile? I could help compile stuff or if someone else wants to step up go for it (Namor? NYRanger?)

I know a lot of this is already scattered throughout the thread and on various websites but it would be nice to have it all in one place.teacha.gif
post #24332 of 96964
PLAZA LAST question

do you guys take the plaza last in your normal size or do you size down?
post #24333 of 96964
Quote:
Originally Posted by closerlook View Post

PLAZA LAST question
do you guys take the plaza last in your normal size or do you size down?

I typically wear 7 D/E on shoes (6.5D on Barrie) so same size but but I had to go with an E on the Plaza. I could probably size down th 6.5 because it does have a fair amount of toe room but then I might have to search for a 6.5EE (which is too much of a hassle).
post #24334 of 96964
Quote:
Originally Posted by scb View Post

Alden SF doesn't put everything on the website. They've definitely had the PTB in the past (and it wasn't on the website)

+1. The last two shoes I've ordered from them are models they don't have listed on the site.
post #24335 of 96964
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsi32 View Post

Thanks for the leads, gents.  I did look at Alden SF, but I didn't see blue suede.  I'll look again.

As of last weekend, they were in the store on the shelf.
post #24336 of 96964
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCowperwood View Post


Alden Madison Avenue also shows a blue suede PTB on it's Web site: http://aldenmadisonny.com/ALDENSUEDE2.html. Might give them a call too.


Ah, I see it a PTB and a chukka.  Thanks.  I may be in the area of Leather Soul Beverly Hills this weekend to check sizing.  And my thanks again, the info will help stay aware of upcoming releases too.

 

Oh, and a FAQ would awesome.

post #24337 of 96964

I have some last and sizing questions.  I ordered a pair or boots from Moulded shoe in NY, who grossy overcharges for shipping I might add.  They are on the modified last, one that fits large I was told so I sized down to a 9D.

 

Now these things are just huge!  At least a whole size too big I think.  What the heck is going on with my feet?  It seems unlikely I would be an 8 1/2 or 8D.

 

For reference I'm usually a 10 or 10 1/2 in athletic shoes.  Usually 9D in other boots, Wolverine, Chippewa etc.  Presumably a 9 1/2 in dress shoes, I don't actually own any but that's what my feet actually measure out to.

 

I called to ask about returning them and was told I should go to an Alden dealer and get sized because " Alden's are sized completely different than any other shoe"??  I read A LOT about the sizing on these things before ordering, so felt I was making an informed decision. 

 

Are there any stores in Massachusetts that carry Alden boots, not just shoes?

post #24338 of 96964


For a comparison, I wear a 10 in running shoes and Converse Jack Purcells, but my foot measures as a 9d on the regular device at shoe shops. My Red Wing boots are 9d. When I recently ordered my first pair from Alden through a local store, SW cordovan shoes on the Tremont last (which is narrower than the barrie last and others), I had to send back the 9d that was originally ordered for an 8.5. Still waiting a couple more days to pick them up and do a final double check on the fit, but thought my experience might be fair comparanda for you. Sizing just really seems to vary between brands of shoes.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmamyke View Post

I have some last and sizing questions.  I ordered a pair or boots from Moulded shoe in NY, who grossy overcharges for shipping I might add.  They are on the modified last, one that fits large I was told so I sized down to a 9D.

 

Now these things are just huge!  At least a whole size too big I think.  What the heck is going on with my feet?  It seems unlikely I would be an 8 1/2 or 8D.

 

For reference I'm usually a 10 or 10 1/2 in athletic shoes.  Usually 9D in other boots, Wolverine, Chippewa etc.  Presumably a 9 1/2 in dress shoes, I don't actually own any but that's what my feet actually measure out to.

 

I called to ask about returning them and was told I should go to an Alden dealer and get sized because " Alden's are sized completely different than any other shoe"??  I read A LOT about the sizing on these things before ordering, so felt I was making an informed decision. 

 

Are there any stores in Massachusetts that carry Alden boots, not just shoes?



 

post #24339 of 96964
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmamyke View Post

I have some last and sizing questions.  I ordered a pair or boots from Moulded shoe in NY, who grossy overcharges for shipping I might add.  They are on the modified last, one that fits large I was told so I sized down to a 9D.

Now these things are just huge!  At least a whole size too big I think.  What the heck is going on with my feet?  It seems unlikely I would be an 8 1/2 or 8D.

For reference I'm usually a 10 or 10 1/2 in athletic shoes.  Usually 9D in other boots, Wolverine, Chippewa etc.  Presumably a 9 1/2 in dress shoes, I don't actually own any but that's what my feet actually measure out to.

I called to ask about returning them and was told I should go to an Alden dealer and get sized because " Alden's are sized completely different than any other shoe"??  I read A LOT about the sizing on these things before ordering, so felt I was making an informed decision. 

Are there any stores in Massachusetts that carry Alden boots, not just shoes?

I wear an 8.5 in New Balance running shoes and a 7 in the Alden Barrie last. The Barrie is considered to be a "size down .5" last as well. It's not impossible to think that you might take 8.5 if you wear a 10 in some sneakers.

You're experiencing the downside of remote shoe purchasing. I hope you get it worked out.
post #24340 of 96964

I had my first order from Leather Soul today. Great customer service when I called and ordered the Alden chromexcel Tanker boot that came in yesterday. I got a call back about an hour later saying they had noticed a small dent in the leather they couldn't buff out of the boot and wanted to know if i wanted to cancel, get the boot from their other store or get a free pair of shoe trees. They sent me an email with pictures of the dent and it was barely noticeable. So, I took the shoe trees! Great service and attention to detail. fing02[1].gif

post #24341 of 96964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayman View Post

I had my first order from Leather Soul today. Great customer service when I called and ordered the Alden chromexcel Tanker boot that came in yesterday. I got a call back about an hour later saying they had noticed a small dent in the leather they couldn't buff out of the boot and wanted to know if i wanted to cancel, get the boot from their other store or get a free pair of shoe trees. They sent me an email with pictures of the dent and it was barely noticeable. So, I took the shoe trees! Great service and attention to detail. fing02%5B1%5D.gif

That is great. Good on LS.
post #24342 of 96964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post


That is great. Good on LS.


Yeah, I am very pleased, I'll definitely be ordering from them more often.

post #24343 of 96964
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post

i hope you are kidding, that looks like something a giant teddy bear would wear...

I'm the teddy bear who wears those. If you don't believe me, check out the tattoo I got last year!
196441_10150152410870750_660175749_6385510_4529996_n.jpg
post #24344 of 96964
Man all these sizing horror stories are scaring me.. I went with my Danner hiking boots/Chucks sizing (which is supposedly .5 bigger than tagged). Will I be okay?shog[1].gif
post #24345 of 96964
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceoceo View Post

Man all these sizing horror stories are scaring me.. I went with my Danner hiking boots/Chucks sizing (which is supposedly .5 bigger than tagged). Will I be okay?:embar:


Relax.  Don't worry.  Everything will be OK in the end.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***