or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

***The official Alden thread *** - Page 1550

post #23236 of 89604
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotClever View Post

It looks like that Meltonian cream is basically a neutral creme polish? That does put it in a similar vein to Venetian and Reno, no?

Isn't Reno more of a conditioner than a polish?

Styles mentioned in this thread:

post #23237 of 89604
Quote:
Originally Posted by kippy View Post

That is just ridiculous.
Do you think it might be possible for you to have just a single post where you don't whine about the Barrie last and how you don't like it and how it destroyed your feet, killed your parents and caused the downfall of Western Civilization? I mean really, WE GET IT, YOU DON'T LIKE THE BARRIE LAST. It works for other people. Let it go dude, let it go.
317

I get it too, but I still like bashing the Barrie. Hard to imagine how such a blobby, ungainly last can sell so well--mystifying. I hate chukkas also so I thought the post was exceptional.nod[1].gif
post #23238 of 89604
How should a proper cap toe boot fit feel? Got my first pair of Aldens today and they feel a bit tight around the widest top of my toe and also on the top of my arch. I think maybe I should go up to a size 8. I sorta think I am between sizes. Or maybe I need a 7.5 wide.
Edited by Coldsnap - 2/9/12 at 1:23pm
post #23239 of 89604

Did Alden make shoes for Brooks Brothers?  Do they still?  Saw some and was considering.  Should be equivalent to "real" Alden's, correct?  Thanks much

post #23240 of 89604

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler View Post


Isn't Reno more of a conditioner than a polish?


Yes, but there's a bit of a blurry line between neutral polishes and conditioners. Polishes all have some conditioner in them, and conditioners have a bit of wax in them to polish, if I'm not mistaken.

 

My point was really just that the suggestion to use that Meltonian may not be the same as a a suggestion to use a standard creme polish.

post #23241 of 89604

Speaking of boot creams...

 

Ive been looking to pick up the Alden Boot Cream in Neutral for my Chromexcel Indy's. Unfortunately, no one in Toronto sells it and anyone in the US that sells it either won't ship to me or it will cost me twice what the creams costs ($9.00) to ship. 

 

Ive been doing some SF research but havent found too much insight, and I know it's a noob question, but is their any good boot cream that will not darken my Indy's in the same quality and realm as the Alden branded Boot Cream? 

 

I really dont wanna darken these guys. 

post #23242 of 89604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgein View Post

Did Alden make shoes for Brooks Brothers?  Do they still?  Saw some and was considering.  Should be equivalent to "real" Alden's, correct?  Thanks much

I know they make the calf tassel loafers, not sure what else
post #23243 of 89604
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgonsh View Post

Speaking of boot creams...

Ive been looking to pick up the Alden Boot Cream in Neutral for my Chromexcel Indy's. Unfortunately, no one in Toronto sells it and anyone in the US that sells it either won't ship to me or it will cost me twice what the creams costs ($9.00) to ship. 

Ive been doing some SF research but havent found too much insight, and I know it's a noob question, but is their any good boot cream that will not darken my Indy's in the same quality and realm as the Alden branded Boot Cream? 

I really dont wanna darken these guys. 

I would recommend Venetian Creme.... you can get it from foresupplyco.com... The big 32oz for $18.00 plus shipping... I put this on all my shoes with no Ill effect so far. Looks awesome on the 403 and even the 405, 401.... Plus Cordovan and Calf.
post #23244 of 89604

Thanks! Unfortunately, it's an additional $28 for the cheapest shipping option to canada! i cant justify paying 200% shipping. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchottie View Post


I would recommend Venetian Creme.... you can get it from foresupplyco.com... The big 32oz for $18.00 plus shipping... I put this on all my shoes with no Ill effect so far. Looks awesome on the 403 and even the 405, 401.... Plus Cordovan and Calf.


 

post #23245 of 89604
to be fair, $28 is probably close to the actual cost of shipping to Canada. it's a big heavy jug + international.

would you feel better if it was $46 with FREE SHIPPING?
post #23246 of 89604
Quote:
Originally Posted by applky View Post

^^^ It's an irregular. Irregulars have irregularities.

Correction: Leather hides have irregularities.
post #23247 of 89604

I might feel better rotflmao.gif

 

 

anyway, i dont need a massive jug of the stuff really. so i contacted oak street bootmakers and they were really nice and offered to get me a quote for a more economical way of shipping. their standard was $25 for a $5 bottle. They said they can probably do a 4 or $5 dollar option. that would be great :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post

to be fair, $28 is probably close to the actual cost of shipping to Canada. it's a big heavy jug + international.
would you feel better if it was $46 with FREE SHIPPING?


 

post #23248 of 89604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgein View Post

Did Alden make shoes for Brooks Brothers?  Do they still?  Saw some and was considering.  Should be equivalent to "real" Alden's, correct?  Thanks much



I believe all the BB cordovans are Aldens. I'm not sure about their non cordovans though.

I would say they are certainly equivalent and in some ways could be better.

They are on a slightly different last which I really dig and the welt is a bit more sleek.

See:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/23040_80#post_5184332

267
post #23249 of 89604
COLDSNAP: They might be too small for you. you might have to go up a width.

Btw, i actually think the barrie last looks kinda nice, especially if you have a standard 270 degree welt.
post #23250 of 89604
I think I might just roll with the 7.5, after talking to the guy at Alden DC my option was wait 8-9 months for the next order (since someone already claimed a 7.5 E on the current order) or go with a size 8. It's not terribly tight, just sorta snug only at the widest part of my feet (around the ball of my big toe).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim

Styles mentioned in this thread:

Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › ***The official Alden thread ***